Astronomy question: black holes

FriggetyFrak

To all of the astronomers, physicists, trekkies, people who slept at a Holiday Inn, and otherwise qualified people on here, I have question.

I was watching How The Universe Works and the topic was black holes. They mentioned that astronomers have observed that most galaxies have supermassive black holes at their centers. This includes the Milky Way. I have always had a curiosity about space and used to read about this stuff a lot, but its been a while, and this was the first I had heard about this phenomenon. But considering this black hole idea, is it valid to conclude that galaxies are just a function of black holes; more specifically, that all of the stars, planets, and other crap swirling around that make up the galaxies are just part of the accretion disk of their respective black holes?

I'm not an astrophysicist, so forgive me if this is a retarded line of reasoning.

http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/about-us/86-the-universe/black-holes-and-quasars/general-questions/424-do-supermassive-black-holes-cause-galaxy-rotation-advanced

"....... the galaxy itself weighs about 100 billion solar masses, which is much greater than the 10 million inside the supermassive black hole. So, unless you are very close to it (ie where general relativity is important), a supermassive black hole contributes, in the mean, an insignificant amount of gravitational pull at a given point in a galaxy"..........

......."The black hole at the centre of the galaxy is accreting matter (at an unknown rate), which means that it is getting more massive as time goes on. From the above arguments, however, this does not imply that the rotation rate of the galaxy is increasing. This means that a galaxy "year", or the time it takes a star near the middle of the galaxy to circle around the galactic centre once, is not affected by the presence of the black hole......"

• Like 2

Next question is did the super massive centers create the galaxies or did the galaxies create the super massive centers?

As I understand it, the mass that accumulates to create the black hole creates the gravity which nearby objects orbit. So it's not as if the black hole created a galaxy but rather that the proximity of the mass created the forces by which other objects of mass travel and are held.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"5117","data-size":"large"}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-tempid":"temp_690_1502670403675_566"}[/ATTACH] Black what? Pfft!

Annnndddd then?????

The Big Suck.

One theory of the end of the Universe as it currently exists is that all matter will ultimately be pulled into a huge black hole which will compress to singularity which goes Bang!

And it all begins again.

Fear not.

Won't happen tomorrow.

Unless someone fires a 10mm.

Which, of course, all wrong, wrong wrong.

The Universe ends when they give it to aircarver to test and he returns all matter and energy in a cardboard box with a Post-it note that reads, Try again.

Edited by tous