3% of Americans own half of all guns

JimBianchi

I am a proud member of the 3%!

From the article:

How many Americans actually own a gun? A 2016 study by Harvard and Northeastern University put the total number of privately-owned firearms in the U.S. at 265 million, with more than half of that - 133 million - being concentrated in the hands of just 3% of Americans, called "super owners,"who have an average of 17 guns each.

http://bigthink.com/paul-ratner/a-minority-of-americans-owns-most-of-the-guns-and-drives-gun-agenda-studies-show?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DWARREN123 said:

Sounds good to me!

It sounds horrible to me.

If we don't get off of our collective asses and get our kids, grandkids, and if possible, a few converts in the mix, your future looks very dim with these kinds of numbers.

You guys really need to read this article that Jim was kind enough to share.  It is NOT a feel good piece.  Here's just a snippet:

"Overall, the percentage of gun owners in the U.S. has been declining relative to the population growth and is at an almost 40-year low, reported the Washington Post. Across a number of national polls, gun ownership has fallen by 10 to 20% from the 1970s."

Over the long haul, we're in trouble guys.  We need to change some minds, and we gotta start today.  It's time to grab some folks by the hand and bring them shooting with you.  

so 3% of Legal Gun Owners said they own guns,and they reversed the math to Gun sale receipts.

how many said they own Illegal Guns?

or more likely,since there is no way to systematically track Gun sales due to most states not needing or requiring a permit or License to purchase a Gun its a simple assumption using permits and Licenses issued by the minority of states that do.

any study or poll that does`nt declare methodology in the finding is usually an assumption or statistical math or bunk paid for by Bloomberg.

The thin ice with the swift river here own 100% of what I had. While trying to move them they sank. I have no guns now.. So the river owns 100% of the guns.  Does that count for the survey??

Dave..