Amusement parks cost an insane amount of money now

devildog2067

When did this happen? $75 / person plus taxes plus parking. That's over $350 for a family of 4 right there. Then you either buy a Flash Pass for $100-150 / person (this is for Six Flags Great America, north of Chicago) or you spend 4 hours watching the people who have paid more than you cut in line -- I didn't buy them last time and my kids only managed 3 rides in an entire day. So you can spend almost $1000 just getting into the park.

How are they sustaining these pricing levels? I make pretty good money and I'm not very price sensitive and I feel like these prices are insane. Seriously, $1k to ride roller coasters for a day (or $350 to... stand in line all day, which is almost worse).

Yeah it's only worth going during the week with no lines. I've gone to six flags magic mountain on a Friday with almost no lines at all. Plus I wait for when the annual gold pass goes on sale for $70-75 as it includes parking.

Yeah, it's CRAZY. I live near the Orlando Disney complex, and a family could easily blow $5-8k on a vacation that the kids will talk about until they hit puberty. About all I can stand is an every-other-year-ish trip to Busch Gardens in the winter when my Alaska friends visit.

The lines, the crowds, the screaming, spoiled, and sticky kids, the beleaguered parents... I feel for ya, man.

My kind of park costs $25 to get into. Sure, there may be some crowds at some of the more popular ones (Smoky, Rocky, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone), but it's possible to get out of sight and sound of any other human being. That's amusement, to me.

Yeah it's only worth going during the week with no lines. I've gone to six flags magic mountain on a Friday with almost no lines at all. Plus I wait for when the annual gold pass goes on sale for $70-75 as it includes parking.

Yeah, that is the only way we do it. Disneyland really rakes you over, I am not going there again. I have no interest in rides so Discovery Kingdom is nice because they have other stuff.

https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/store/season-passes