GLOCK Stock or Decked Out?

fortyofforty

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:13 AM, Boogieman said:

You can spend a lot of money making a 1911 reliable.  Or you can spend a lot of money making a Glock unreliable.

I never had a problem with any of the 1911's that my wife and I own.  The majority of them don't need to do what you have to do to Glock to Perfect it for them because Austria doesn't want to be bothered,

7 minutes ago, Moshe said:

I never had a problem with any of the 1911's that my wife and I own.  The majority of them don't need to do what you have to do to Glock to Perfect it for them because Austria doesn't want to be bothered,

All of my Glocks have been perfect out of the box.  So have all of my 1911s. 

• Like 1

Just now, minervadoe said:

Right, for you.  Some of us have to make things work for us, when we are disabled or aged so we can continue to accurately hit what the hell we're aiming at. :)

5 minutes ago, Moshe said:

Right, for you.  Some of us have to make things work for us, when we are disabled or aged so we can continue to accurately hit what the hell we're aiming at. :)

When I'm throwing guns in my range bag, I am often faced with one of my most difficult day to day decisions.  Do I take a Glock, or a 1911?  Or both?  Then, just to mix things up, for the last month I fired only revolvers. 

Sacrilege, I know.  But, it is nice for my old eyes to not have to chase my brass. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, minervadoe said:

When I'm throwing guns in my range bag, I am often faced with one of my most difficult day to day decisions.  Do I take a Glock, or a 1911?  Or both?  Then, just to mix things up, for the last month I fired only revolvers. 

Sacrilege, I know.  But, it is nice for my old eyes to not have to chase my brass. 

I gave up shooting most revolvers this side of a .357 magnum as my hands are too thin for the recoil.  I used to love shooting .454 Casull or .44 Magnum.  The last time I went to the range with the .44 magnum (Hogue Grips 4 inch ported barrel),  I was deadly accurate with it.  It is just after 6 rounds my support hand ached for a good 45 minutes.  So, I sold it.

28 minutes ago, Moshe said:

The last time I went to the range with the .44 magnum (Hogue Grips 4 inch ported barrel),  I was deadly accurate with it.  It is just after 6 rounds my support hand ached for a good 45 minutes.  So, I sold it.

Doh!!  That's why I reload my friend.  I love the way the heavy frame of my Ruger Redhawk soaks up the recoil of my bunny fart .44 Magnum loads.  I'm getting ready to load up a batch that are halfway between the "hottest" .44 Special loads and the mildest .44 Magnum loads that I can find.  Last week I found some 240 grain lead loads that I'd loaded (about 900 fps), but never fired and took them to the range: mild and enjoyable.

Remember the way Marshall Dillon's Colt .45 Single Action sounded.  It was sort of that cartoonish Warner Brother's Yosemite Sam type sound.  That's what I'm trying to develop. 

Edited by minervadoe
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, minervadoe said:

Doh!!  That's why I reload my friend.  I love the way the heavy frame of my Ruger Redhawk soaks up the recoil of my bunny fart .44 Magnum loads.  I'm getting ready to load up a batch that are halfway between the "hottest" .44 Special loads and the mildest .44 Magnum loads that I can find.  Last week I found some 240 grain lead loads that I'd loaded (about 900 fps), but never fired and took them to the range: mild and enjoyable.

Remember the way Marshall Dillon's Colt .45 Single Action sounded.  It was sort of that cartoonish Warner Brother's Yosemite Sam type sound.  That's what I'm trying to develop. 

That is an awesome skill.  I have never had any formal or informal training on loading my own rounds.  I figure, with my luck, it would be a great way to kaboom myself. :)

1 hour ago, Moshe said:

That is an awesome skill.  I have never had any formal or informal training on loading my own rounds.  I figure, with my luck, it would be a great way to kaboom myself. :)

I feel very fortunate that a good friend took a couple of evenings to teach me.  Otherwise, a kaboom may have stopped my fledgling reloading attempts. 

It seems to vary by area, but you may be able to find an NRA reloading course where you live. 

I used to think Glocks were ugly until I owned one. But then after a while I grew to like the simple, business-like uncluttered looks of the gun. But it amazes me the lengths that some people go to make the gun truly ugly by "Customizing" them with custom slides and stippling. I also don't like all the color combinations, and I don't like two-tone guns. I like black guns, period. Or stainless, or parkerized, or nickeled or blued, but no mix & match.  I was hoping Glock would make the G19x in black but what they did instead was make the G45 and I really don't like forward slide serrations. 

As far as trigger jobs, when I got my first Glock I took it to a gunsmith and asked him if he could make the trigger more like a 1911. He told me to think of the Glock trigger as a DA only trigger and to just practice with the gun for a while first until I learned how to operate the trigger on a gun that I wasn't used to shooting. He said that if I could learn to shoot a revolver DA, that I could learn to shoot a Glock just as long as didn't have an pre-conceived ideas of how the trigger should be.

And that made sense to me because when I first started shooting revolvers I always cocked the hammer first because the single action trigger was SO much nicer than the DA trigger. But eventually I became determined to shoot the gun DA only but still be able to shot the gun accurately and it took time but I was able to do it. Now I can shoot my Glocks much more accurately than I could at first, and I don't even think about the trigger feeling "wrong" anymore. I just concentrate on hitting the target just like I do with a DA revolver and don't let the trigger distract me.

The way Glocks are designed, they don't need a safety any more than a revolver does because both a Glock and a revolver has a somewhat long and stiff trigger pull but with the Glock less so than with the revolver.  And I think Glock came up with the right pull weight that gives the best combination of safety and ease of operation. As such, I think that lightening the trigger pull on a Glock to try to make it more like a 1911 is dangerous on a gun that you might have to use in a high stress situation and can't be carried with the safety on like a 1911. Carrying a Glock with a lightened trigger is almost like carrying a 1911 cocked but unlocked.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, minervadoe said:

I feel very fortunate that a good friend took a couple of evenings to teach me.  Otherwise, a kaboom may have stopped my fledgling reloading attempts. 

It seems to vary by area, but you may be able to find an NRA reloading course where you live. 

Not a terrible idea.  I think I will have to wait until deer season is over.  I know a guy that I first started hunting with, before it became to hard on me.  Culling a deer is easy, but it takes a hell of a toll on your body, skinning and quartering after.  I loved harvesting my own meat, but the last time I did that I was laid up for a week.  I know he is hunting, so when the season is over, I may hit him up, as he is always reloading.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Borg warner said:

I used to think Glocks were ugly until I owned one. But then after a while I grew to like the simple, business-like uncluttered looks of the gun. But it amazes me the lengths that some people go to make the gun truly ugly by "Customizing" them with custom slides and stippling. I also don't like all the color combinations, and I don't like two-tone guns. I like black guns, period. Or stainless, or parkerized, or nickeled or blued, but no mix & match.  I was hoping Glock would make the G19x in black but what they did instead was make the G45 and I really don't like forward slide serrations. 

As far as trigger jobs, when I got my first Glock I took it to a gunsmith and asked him if he could make the trigger more like a 1911. He told me to think of the Glock trigger as a DA only trigger and to just practice with the gun for a while first until I learned how to operate the trigger on a gun that I wasn't used to shooting. He said that if I could learn to shoot a revolver DA, that I could learn to shoot a Glock just as long as didn't have an pre-conceived ideas of how the trigger should be.

And that made sense to me because when I first started shooting revolvers I always cocked the hammer first because the single action trigger was SO much nicer than the DA trigger. But eventually I became determined to shoot the gun DA only but still be able to shot the gun accurately and it took time but I was able to do it. Now I can shoot my Glocks much more accurately than I could at first, and I don't even think about the trigger feeling "wrong" anymore. I just concentrate on hitting the target just like I do with a DA revolver and don't let the trigger distract me.

The way Glocks are designed, they don't need a safety any more than a revolver does because both a Glock and a revolver has a somewhat long and stiff trigger pull but with the Glock less so than with the revolver.  And I think Glock came up with the right pull weight that gives the best combination of safety and ease of operation. As such, I think that lightening the trigger pull on a Glock to try to make it more like a 1911 is dangerous on a gun that you might have to use in a high stress situation and can't be carried with the safety on like a 1911. Carrying a Glock with a lightened trigger is almost like carrying a 1911 cocked but unlocked.

I have seen some odd builds.  The things I do to mine are for practical reasons.  I don't need cuts in the slide, and all that nonsense.  I have come to appreciate handguns that aren't striker fired, because I like more options for carry.

All glock oem parts except for Ameriglo Agent NS. Glock - connector and glock smooth face triggers and extended slide release on all of my Glocks. Want to have the same sight picture and trigger feel on each of the Glocks. Keeping things consistent Glock to Glock produce consistent results no matter which glock I use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My G29 has lots of mods, but the internals are stock; the trigger was perfect out of the box.

My G35 match gun has all Glock OEM internals as well, but they have been polished and there is a Gen 3 trigger bar inside.  It's trigger pull was the worst that I and the local Glock armorer had ever seen.

I am getting in a new G19 Gen 5 MOS for CCW and GSSF matches and it will get a Dawson front FO sight, maybe polish the trigger stuff, and that's it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/22/2018 at 2:06 PM, minervadoe said:

I guess I don't have enough experience to really say but...my Glocks(3 of them) have been perfect for me outta the box with the only 'mod' is a brighter front sight for my crappy, bi-focaled, 68 year old, eyes..They are reliable, accurate, fun..not sure what else they are supposed to be..

"tools not trophys"

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 6:24 PM, minervadoe said:

And let's not forget, that .44 Magnum revolver eats up any .44 Special and even the .44 Russian although the Russian usually shoots better out of the .44 Special cylinder.  I reload all of them but have been downloading .44 Mag loads for the last 15 years.  The .44 Russian is a hoot to load and shoot as a mouse load.

• Like 1

I will admit to doing a 180 degree turn around about Glocks several years after they were available in the U.S.  A L.E. friend of mine finally talked me into shooting one of his at the range one fine day.  That's all it took and now, many years later, I happily admit to owning "several" Glocks in multiple calibers. Of all those Glocks, I have only had one single problem: My G17/5 shot low out of the box - easily correctable. I do choose to change sights on Glocks I carry a good deal but I can live with the plastic sights for range work. Of many Glock shooting friends, I am not aware of any malfunctioning NIB Glocks. Used Glocks sometimes have problems because of after market add on goodies but all of mine remain in factory original condition with the exception of sights.  

In recent years, most 1911's come without problems but certainly not all and price seems to not make a difference. A friend of mine, well versed in handguns, has nothing good to say about two of his three Kimber's.  However, in years gone by, 1911's were never designed to fire anything but hardball and Colt continued to turn out military grade guns until they were forced by demand and competition to build better 1911's. .  The sole reason for so many gunsmiths getting into the business of repairing and building 1911's back in the late 50's, 60's & 70's was because of Colt's take it or leave it attitude. At last count, I have owned thirteen 1911's and of those only three functioned perfectly and on a consistent basis; one was a used Argentine 1911 made on Colt equipment (fantastic handgun and perfectly finished, one was a customized Commander and the last was a Colt Series 70 factory new gun that somehow slipped out very well finished and accurate. All the sights sucked, but back then better sights were a custom item.

Now that I am old enough to buy what I want to shoot, within reason, I mostly stay with those damn plastic but lightweight handguns rather than lug around all the extra weight.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 5:36 AM, PNWguy said:

My G29 has lots of mods, but the internals are stock; the trigger was perfect out of the box.

My G35 match gun has all Glock OEM internals as well, but they have been polished and there is a Gen 3 trigger bar inside.  It's trigger pull was the worst that I and the local Glock armorer had ever seen.

I am getting in a new G19 Gen 5 MOS for CCW and GSSF matches and it will get a Dawson front FO sight, maybe polish the trigger stuff, and that's it.

What a dope! 

Now sporting a Burris Fastfire 3, Glock (-) connector, polished internals, and suppressor sights...