GLOCK Stock or Decked Out?

fortyofforty

On 2/7/2018 at 8:50 PM, fortyofforty said:

Do you prefer your carry GLOCK to be stock, or do you add personal touches?  If so, what do you do?  Does anyone use a replacement slide cover plate?  Change sights?  New trigger?  Just curious.

Pretty much stock but will replace a serrated trigger with a smooth one.

On 6/14/2018 at 10:17 AM, crockett said:

All my Glocks get the following:

- Lone Wolf barrel. They reduce the so called Glock bulge in the brass which is important for reloading, much better accuracy and often a 50 FPS velocity advantage.

- Truglo night sights. Very bright and they last at least 10 years. Those cheap Glock OEM plastic sights are a no go for me.

- MagGuts springs. They add a round without extending the magazine in length.

- A polish job an several parts to smooth out feeding as well as trigger pull.

I use the LW conversion barrels for my .40s, currently have four. I use them for the option to shoot 9mm if I want.  I haven't had a problem with bulged cases in Glocks in any of the 9/40/45s I owned.  I do see some bulged 9 mm brass in my range pickups from the USPSA 9mm major open guns  I'm curious as to the ammo type that's bulging in your barrels, factory or reloads?

My carry Glocks are mostly stock, I change sights to Dawson or Warren Tactical, drop in a Zev connector and I'm done. My game Glocks (34/35) are another story, I do use the stock barrels tho. 

s45

4 hours ago, Smokey45 said:

I use the LW conversion barrels for my .40s, currently have four. I use them for the option to shoot 9mm if I want.  I haven't had a problem with bulged cases in Glocks in any of the 9/40/45s I owned.  I do see some bulged 9 mm brass in my range pickups from the USPSA 9mm major open guns  I'm curious as to the ammo type that's bulging in your barrels, factory or reloads?

My carry Glocks are mostly stock, I change sights to Dawson or Warren Tactical, drop in a Zev connector and I'm done. My game Glocks (34/35) are another story, I do use the stock barrels tho. 

s45

Bulging happens with Xtreme Penetrator and Xtreme Defender rounds from Underwood, and with all my self defense and matching target practice reload, which are basically Underwood clones with an additional 50 to 100 FPS, hence very hot rounds, well above +P+. All in an effort for max barrier penetration. We are talking .380 ACP, 9mm and 10mm.

• 2 weeks later...

All stock accept for aftermarket barrels on some. I also put night sights on some although I don't really hate the factory sights. I once bent a front sight blade on a 1911 by dropping it on concreate. 

Edited by Citra47

On 8/10/2018 at 1:13 AM, Boogieman said:

You can spend a lot of money making a 1911 reliable.  Or you can spend a lot of money making a Glock unreliable.

Now THAT'S a hell of a quote.  It's spot on.  Brilliant, Boogieman.  I'll still probably tinker--because I can't help myself--but I know the consequences.  (I've had stock GLOCKs that were not 100%, though, so I do have an excuse.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I satin chromed my slide and barrel of my 30s because I pocket carry it, and put on some Talon like sand grips and a backstrap, but all insides are stock. 

Here's an interesting "trick".  I just don't know Why someone would go to this much trouble?  I'm sure it's "glued" in place and will definitely fall off after a few Mags.

Hard Chrome.jpg

Glock window.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Swampfox762 said:

I satin chromed my slide and barrel of my 30s because I pocket carry it, and put on some Talon like sand grips and a backstrap, but all insides are stock. 

Here's an interesting "trick".  I just don't know Why someone would go to this much trouble?  I'm sure it's "glued" in place and will definitely fall off after a few Mags.

Hard Chrome.jpg

Glock window.jpg

The grip reminds me of the old ASP conversions of the S&W Model 39

I leave em’ stock down to the plastic sights. When those, fail, I put the factory metal versions on. I like Football Goal/Dot setup. 

The 23 Gen. 3 I have on right now is due for the metal sights. ‘Usually keep a set around for good measure and what not. 

Edited by Will Beararms

On 8/13/2018 at 8:57 PM, Will Beararms said:

I leave em’ stock down to the plastic sights. When those, fail, I put the factory metal versions on. I like Football Goal/Dot setup. 

The 23 Gen. 3 I have on right now is due for the metal sights. ‘Usually keep a set around for good measure and what not. 

Years ago PT Night Sights made a set with a tritium dot in a big white dot for the front and three tritium bars in a white U for the rear.  They were my favorite sights but they all went dim long ago and PT is out of business.

• Like 1

I like to get a Glock night sights when I buy the gun. I also like to swap some OEM parts, like a smooth trigger or extended controls. I recently bought a Gen 5 G19 and added extended controls. The extensions are very slight but make a difference. The slide release works fine with a kydex holster.

56EAE599-D317-49BE-BEA5-110C23A73AED.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I only own one Glock, and it's my EDC, and I don't shoot anywhere near enough to verify any changes to the gun are going to be 100% reliable.

Night sights on the gun.

NY-1 trigger spring, it was my first carry gun so I wanted a heavier trigger until I felt really comfortable carrying it.

Once I was comfortable carrying it I got a Glock OEM "-" connector and put that in.  It's still a little heavier than stock, but I like the feel of it.

I have a .40 lonewolf conversion barrel, stock length, and now an extended length threaded 10mm Alpha Wolf barrel that hasn't gotten shot yet.  No issues with the conversion barrel, and I don't expect any with the Alpha Wolf either.

My backup mags now have Pearce +2 extensions on them.  Not sure yet how I feel about them as they make the mags dig into my side just a little when I am sitting down, so I might take them back off soon.  It does bring the total rounds carried up to a nice round number though, so not sure if my OCD will let me.

I like em Two Toned:

The Carry Glocks:

G23 and G27, LoneWolf slides, the rest is standard Glock except the sights. They both have .357Sig barrels. The G23 runs .357Sig beautifully, the G27 is working to become reliable. The major issue with the G27 is some slide peening that prevents easy insertion of the .357Sig barrel.

Both are very accurate with either .40 or .357 and we do well in competition. Reliability is very good when I do my part. I *like* em!

DSC00951Copy.jpg

Edited by Pierre!

• 2 months later...

I am going to commit Glock sacrilege.  The reason I a moving away in Glocks is they are not perfection out of the box.  I have to do a LOT to it, to perfect it for me.  If it isn't an MOS, I have to have a FFL creator friend use a CNC to mill out a spot for me.  I have to go and get an RMR, Suppressor Sights (Glock comes with no Night Sights), then I have to get a Johnny Glock competition trigger system to make the awful trigger work well.  So, I am not in a place where I want to get a firearm and spend as much as the firearm, to "perfect" it for me.  Glocks should come with an RMR ability straight from the factory.  They should have night sights standard, and they need to work on their trigger, and I could learn to love them again.  I have my G21C with my friend who is a smith and can make a firearm from scratch.  I am putting +4 Arredondos on all the mags, milled for an RMR, yet another Johnny Glock trigger, etc.  I have a few XD's all .45's (Gripzone-whatever), they only really require night sights.  But, I am not a big XD fan either. 

To be fair, there are other firearms that need upgrades, but nothing as extensive as Glock.  I think the moto should be Glock-You can Perfect it!