.44 Automag back in production

TBO

Some may remember this from an old post of mine.

This took place some years ago.

My friend has a .44 Automag.  He shot in a strange league, that shot in a range but used extreme conditions that might be encountered in reality (someone's reality).

For this stage, he said they were lined up to shoot at targets at close range, and the requirement was that the range was totally blacked out, before they shot for score.

When he fired, the muzzle blast from the gun set his target on fire.  It was said to be impressive in a dark room.  He said he got applause from all the competitors.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

As already said.  Ammo is the deciding factor for me.  Custom made ammunition simply kills the attraction for me.

When I was a kid, I hunted with a .33 WCF  lever action Winchester (Model 1886).  No matter  how much I loved that gun the 1950's cost of custom made ammo at $1 per round back then, made it too expensive to get intimate with.  That was a great lesson for me.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, janice6 said:

As already said.  Ammo is the deciding factor for me.  Custom made ammunition simply kills the attraction for me.

When I was a kid, I hunted with a .33 WCF  lever action Winchester (Model 1886).  No matter  how much I loved that gun the 1950's cost of custom made ammo at $1 per round back then, made it too expensive to get intimate with.  That was a great lesson for me.

If you still have it.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/33_WCF.htm

Reloading data is still available, and .33 WCF cases can be made from .45-70 brass. According to the sixth edition of the Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading the .33 Win. can drive a 200 grain Flat Point bullet (SD .250) in front of a starting load of 35.1 grains of H4895 powder at a muzzle velocity (MV) of 1700 fps. A maximum load of 45.1 grains of H4895 will drive the same bullet to a MV of 2200 fps, the same as the old factory loads. At the latter velocity the trajectory should look like this: +2" at 100 yards, 0 at 150 yards, and -5.2" at 200 yards. These Hornady loads were developed using Remington cases and WLR primers and were tested in a Winchester Model 1886 rifle.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, willie-pete said:

If you still have it.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/33_WCF.htm

Reloading data is still available, and .33 WCF cases can be made from .45-70 brass. According to the sixth edition of the Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading the .33 Win. can drive a 200 grain Flat Point bullet (SD .250) in front of a starting load of 35.1 grains of H4895 powder at a muzzle velocity (MV) of 1700 fps. A maximum load of 45.1 grains of H4895 will drive the same bullet to a MV of 2200 fps, the same as the old factory loads. At the latter velocity the trajectory should look like this: +2" at 100 yards, 0 at 150 yards, and -5.2" at 200 yards. These Hornady loads were developed using Remington cases and WLR primers and were tested in a Winchester Model 1886 rifle.

Thank  you for that.  I do appreciate having the technical data.

Unfortunately, I do not have that gun anymore.  When I was about 12 years old, my father was quite old (second marriage) and couldn't do the trek through Northern Minnesota woods.  He got the Winchester from two Mormon college students in exchange for a months rent in one of our apartment buildings (we were near the college campus).

Since I like it so much, he gave it to me, and would drive me to Northern Minnesota during Deer season.  then I would do the hunt alone.  I truly loved that gun.  It was a mechanical marvel, so smooth and tight.  If I could see something, I could hit it with the open iron sights.  We paid $1 a shell and bought 20 at a time from some place in Canada that was supplying them.

Anyway, I went into the Navy when I was 18 and while I was gone, my sister gave it to her boyfriend.  He took it to a local gun store and traded it for a cheap 30-30.  She moved on to more boyfriends shortly thereafter.  I never forgave her for that.  When I got out of service, there was nothing of my former possessions left at home.  Everything was gone.  I have some memories.  Many are good ones.  Some aren't.

12 hours ago, janice6 said:

When I was a kid, we were thrilled to find .405 ammo for $1 per round. When I got older and we were reloading, it wasn't a big deal. Same with the .33. I still load for many obsolete calibers like .219 Zipper, .22 Hi Power, .348 Win, .41 Long Colt, and many more.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2018 at 11:58 PM, janice6 said:

Anyway, I went into the Navy when I was 18 and while I was gone, my sister gave it to her boyfriend.  He took it to a local gun store and traded it for a cheap 30-30.  She moved on to more boyfriends shortly thereafter.  I never forgave her for that.  When I got out of service, there was nothing of my former possessions left at home.  Everything was gone.  I have some memories.  Many are good ones.  Some aren't.

Not sure about when this happened but as I understand it now, stealing a gun and selling it (effectively what she did) is a Federal offense.  With pretty serious consequences.  Could also get the LGS in a shitload of trouble.  

Not that you could do anything now but for others' reference I guess.

On 2/3/2018 at 1:55 PM, janice6 said:

One thing on the Automag (I think) is that the brass can be made from either .308 or .30-06 rifle brass.  And it's strong as hell.

The gun is also supposedly built like a tank so reloading should be reasonably forgiving.