Del Ton Echo .308

DrB

Sounds interesting to me.  Here 200 yards is a max most times, 100 yards if that is the norm.  I think the Carbine length would be handy for that around here.  I like simple AR style, not all the crap. Bud's has them but not sure if has front site as says front site free but picture shows rifle with front site.  Sent them an email..

Change my mind if you will.  Am open to all suggestions.  Don't want to sink the bank into this though.

Dave.. 

If you already have an AR, why not consider the .300 AAC Blackout?  It has ballistics that sorta mimic the 30-30, which is within spec for the distances you're talking about.  

You can pick up a .300 Blackout upper over at PSA for less than $300, and you can use the same mags you already use for the 5.56/.223.

7 hours ago, jame said:

If you already have an AR, why not consider the .300 AAC Blackout?  It has ballistics that sorta mimic the 30-30, which is within spec for the distances you're talking about.  

You can pick up a .300 Blackout upper over at PSA for less than $300, and you can use the same mags you already use for the 5.56/.223.

Good idea.  I'll have to think about that.  Was thinking the .308 because I don't want to have another caliber to stock.  For the ranges here the Blackout would work fine..  Hummm....

The one from Bud's comes with an A2 front sight.  I'm on the fence.  Somehow I think I may fall off both sides.  I have a stripped lower here so the .300 Blackout has me thinking.  The .308 yes probably..  I'm a thinking here..... Stocking up on different Magazines or different caliber of ammo or both.... Hummmm....

Dave..

• 8 months later...
On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 4:57 AM, DrB said:

Good idea.  I'll have to think about that.  Was thinking the .308 because I don't want to have another caliber to stock.  For the ranges here the Blackout would work fine..  Hummm....

Go with the 308. People like to say that the 300 BK "sorta" mimics the 30-30 but it really doesn't. What it "sorta" mimics is the 762X39 which "sorta" mimics the 30-30 but the 762x39 is better when using a 150 grain bullet like the real 30-30 does,  For a cartridge limited to 125 grain bullets the 6.5 Grendel is a better choice especially at ranges longer than 100 yards.

Edited by Borg warner

2 hours ago, Borg warner said:

Go with the 308. People like to say that the 300 BK "sorta" mimics the 30-30 but it really doesn't. What it "sorta" mimics is the 762X39 which "sorta" mimics the 30-30 but the 762x39 is better when using a 150 grain bullet like the real 30-30 does,  For a cartridge limited to 125 grain bullets the 6.5 Grendel is a better choice especially at ranges longer than 100 yards.

6.5 Grendel is a very good long range cartridge.

OP is looking for a short range (less than 200 max, less than 100 yards regularly) cartridge.  .308, 6.5 Grendel, and many others will work at that range, but don't really shine until you start talking much further out, when comparing them to something like the 30-30 or 7.62x39.  

I'm not sure what the actual purpose of the gun is/was supposed to be.  If it's for big game hunting, then yes, a larger or faster cartridge is preferred.  If it's things like deer or hogs, 300 blackout with the proper bullet selection will do the job just fine in the shorter ranges.  It also has the benefit of heavier bullets at subsonic velocities if that is your thing.

At this close of a range, almost any rifle caliber will work.  Even a 9mm carbine can hit targets at these ranges, so without knowing the actual intended purpose of the rifle it's hard to give much more than vague recommendations.

If never going to be subsonic or suppressed, and shooting outdoors, then for the price an AR in .308 is pretty much the same cost as the 300 blackout these days.  Factory ammunition is similar in cost as well because most of the price seems to be in the bullet.  A couple cents difference in powder, a couple cents in the case, but the bullets they use are the same until you get into the premium hunting/expanding bullets, and those are expensive no matter what you pick. 

On the other hand if you reload then it's a little bit of powder saved every bullet, you can use the same plinking bullets in 300 blackout and .308, and .223 brass is plentiful if you want to make your own into 300 blackout.  30 rounds in a magazine, and overall slightly smaller firearm (AR-15 vs AR-10)

• Like 1

I bought an AR10 lower from PSA for $150 a couple of months ago and still have no idea what to do with it.

Thought a long-range sniper rifle would be fun and 6.5 Creedmoor is a an obvious choice.  

But now I'm pretty sure I'll be moving back to Idaho within a year and will start big game hunting again.  Pretty sure the .308 will do anything I need it to with an 18" barrel and some custom reloads.

I could be hunting deer, elk, antelope, black bear, wolf, etc. in everything from heavy brush to open country with shots of 500yds.  My current "do-it-all" rifle is a Ruger M77 AWR in .30-06.  But an AR in .308 would be a fun choice as well.

On 10/16/2018 at 11:31 AM, Cougar_ml said:

So what did you end up deciding on?

I'm still sitting on the fence.  No hurry here.  Meanwhile I got out one of my 03A3's and an 03A4 to play with.  Probably going to take me holding one of the .308's in the store to fall off the fence.

Dave...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Don’t have the .308 but very happy with delton .223’s .... thing about ar 10 guns are different mags not like ar 15 compatibility. I have a bushmaster but decided once I get to .308 I prefer a bolt gun. Don’t need to go pow, pow, pow on the range or in a hunt with that caliber.

I want to stick with .308 because I have a M1A and an Ishapore Lee Enfield.  Most use is for a fun rifle like the other two.  Around here mostly I shoot Chucks on the farm and for the few longer ranges I can still shoot at without houses around... the 220 swift comes calling.  Deer here is shotgun or straight wall rifle cartridges. 

Dave..