Ever Have To Fire Somebody

Dynactus

Fired a few people; one got me an EEOC lawsuit that eventually went to Federal Court. The other was a Plant Manager that was re-building shrimp boat engines in our shop using our company parts account as a piggy bank in Georgetown, SC.

That one was fun.

wp

• Like 2

Fired a few people; one got me an EEOC lawsuit that eventually went to Federal Court. The other was a Plant Manager that was re-building shrimp boat engines in our shop using our company parts account as a piggy bank in Georgetown, SC.

That one was fun.

wp

Sounds like he needed firing. How bad did he **** your company? Did he "borrow" the money?

Sounds like he needed firing. How bad did he **** your company? Did he "borrow" the money?

Secretary called my boss on a Friday afternoon and said there was stuff going on that he should know about but wouldn't tell. My boss told me be there at 7:00 AM Monday morning and see what you can come up with. The secretary had called Friday afternoon because Dave was taking the next week off. I flew out Saturday morning. to Charleston and drove up to Georgetown.

We manufactured paper-makers chemicals there and had a trucking operation there with four T/T's. Walked in Monday AM, said hello to people and there was a mechanic working on a diesel tore down in the shop. He was of course surprised to see me. I walked in the office to say hello to the secretary and said where are our trucks this morning? She listed two trucks at different paper mills around Georgetown and two still in the lot ready to go out. So the diesel in the shop wasn't one of ours.

Started digging through paid receipts and found plenty of evidence of way more stuff bought than we would have ever used in years pistons, rings, blocks, etc.. Dave and the mechanic were rebuilding shrimp boat engines in our shop ( Georgetown is on the coast ). In the middle of this Dave called - alerted by the mechanic - and said "WTH are you doing in my plant?". I reminded him that it was my plant and that he should come to New Jersey to have a sitdown when he got off vacation.

We, of course, fired him and i got to fire the mechanic that day. In retrospect Dave was led down the path by the mechanic; he was a con man from the word go.

IDK how much money was involved. We got the corporate accountants involved then and i lost track of it. Don't know if they ever pressed charges against anybody.

wp

Edited by willie-pete
  • Like 1

Yes and it's never fun. The only time I felt concerned for my safety was after firing the guy mentioned in this article. I had no idea he had done this until later on. Not long after firing him he was arrested for kidnapping. Given his previous record, I'm confident he'll be in prison for a while.

http://www.local8now.com/home/headlines/Search_is_on_for_the_suspects_in_a_late_night_armed_robbery_119237834.html

Being fired was even worse though. Looking back, they did me a huge favor.

Fired? Or laid off? Big difference.

Laying someone off could be tough, because it's out of their control.

However, I'd have absolutely no problem firing someone who deserves it for whatever reason.

I haven't had to deal with either scenario, myself, but the wife does a couple times a year.

Yup.

one word of advice to job seekers - Don't lie on a job application. In this day and age, it's too easy to check and verify information. Especially when a Federal background check is involved.

Some people just deserve what's coming to them.

Have fired plenty of people before.

Two in mind were actually best friends and close neighbors but started at different times and didn't tell anyone.

I work in the multi family industry. Maintenance pulls call after hours for any emergencies. On every property we have model apartments that are fully furnished.

Well number two was hired last and decided to lie about having a vehicle to get back and forth to calls.

We started getting higher then normal power power bills in the model and the unit was always kinda dirty. Didn't think anything of it but we started turning breakers off at night and on weekends.

Well one weekend this guy was on call and he was late to work on Monday. I had gotten there a little early and was picking up the grounds for him when he comes out of the model unit.

Asked him him what he was doing in there since he had just said he would be late. I go in and the place is a mess. Beer bottles and trash every where.

Apparently he had a little party over the weekend but had been staying there during his weeks call for a couple of months.

I actually wasn't going to fire him but the company wanted him gone.

His friend and co worker found out and proceeded to get himself fired for taking up for the guy. That's when we found out the details. During normal times this guy wAs giving him a ride to work everyday.

It it doesn't end there. About two weeks later I wake up to go to work and my work van had been broken into. About $2500 dollars worth of stuff was stolen and some of it belonged to the company. Which I had to pay back.

I cant prove it was them but I've lived in this house since I was three off and on and have never had a problem before or since then.

They both knew knew where I lived because of living about 5 mins from the property. Easily searchable.

Had buddy that worked for a big company. The guy was infamous for the number of people he had fired. He said, "I've never fired anybody, they've always fired themselves". Meaning he had tried to coach and manage them toward being better employees, but they just couldn't, or wouldn't, improve.

Fired a couple of lawyers last year, but the actual hiring/firing authority is a couple of steps higher, so I wrote up a nice letter telling them they were terminated from probation for no specific cause, got him to sign, and said, "hey, I've got some bad news . . . ."

I was a little worried when we hired one of them and then I found pictures of her husband in an old newspaper article, crying with joy because Obama won the election. She turned out to be the mosit heinous, rude and unpleasant person anybody in the building had ever met. A favorite story others in the office told about her was the time she came in angry because when she moved from one townhouse owned by her mother to another townhouse owned by her mother, her maid hung her clothes in the wrong closets - rather than move them, she was going to go home and label every item according to which closet it belonged in and then make her maid move them. If somebody said "good morning" to her in the hall, she would look angry at them, turn her head and walk away. I literally fired her just because we didn't like her.

The other one was nice enough, but when you won't stop spanking your monkey at work, even when employees from another agency report you to internal affairs and your boss has a talk with you about it, you have a short future.