What makes a Glock trigger "mushy"?

PNWguy

Bought a new G35 exclusively for GSSF indoor match shooting and it was a 10-round magazine pistol, which I thought was no big deal since I only shoot 10 rounds at a time in indoor GSSF matches.  Oddly enough, it arrived with one 10-round magazine and two 15-round magazines.  It also had the worst trigger of any Glock I could recall.

Did a polish job on it and swapped out the trigger bar assembly for another OEM one I had laying around.  Got rid of most of the grit, but the pull was still awful.  Took it to the range and couldn't get better than 3" groups.  

At this point, my "match" grade Glock was anything but...

I installed Dawson sights thinking I wasn't getting a perfect sight picture.  Groups stayed awful.  Took it to the monthly match and did pretty good with it; 488 out of 500 score on Course of Fire C.  

I had the Glock armorer there look at it and he said the trigger was the worst he's seen on a factory Glock; said it must be around 9-10lbs.  He opined that it was the culprit for my lackluster accuracy results.

So, I ordered new everything; Gen 3 trigger bar assembly with smooth trigger, 3.5lb Lone Wolf connector, and 6lb Zev trigger spring.  Oddly enough, the Lone Wolf connector came with a bad finish and was actually rusting!  I used some metal polish to clean it up.

Put all of the new parts in after the appropriate polishing and oiling and now the trigger is very light; maybe 3.5lbs, but a lot of creep and mushy.

What surface or part is making it mushy?  I will be replacing the Lone Wolf connector since it is rusty(?!) and would like the OEM lighter weight connector but can't find them.  I've swapped out just the connector and the trigger pull is back to nearly as heavy as it was before, so the OEM connector was the culprit for the very heavy pull.

Keep in mind that I'm comparing all of this to my only other Glock; a G29 Gen 4 with a bone stock trigger that is crisp and light and groups around an inch at 25yds.  Was hoping this pistol would go under 2" at 25yds, which is what my XDS 40 will do.

I tried posting a similar thread at GT and I got 6 pages of dipshits telling me to practice more, get a CZ or 1911, or be happy with a crappy trigger.

Was hoping someone here knew the mechanics of the Glock trigger system to know what parts affect the various aspects of trigger feel.  Might just post an abridged version at GT to try and get one or two helpful posts among five pages of mouth-breathing and chest thumping.

• Like 1

If you go back to GT, find and PM Johnnyglock. He knows these triggers inside out and backwards. Better yet, call him and maybe send your gun to him for a custom trigger. He will give you the pull weight you want, take up of your choice and zero overtravel with minimal reset all while maintaining all oem safeties.

941-376-4383 Johnny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PNWguy said:

I will be replacing the Lone Wolf connector since it is rusty(?!) and would like the OEM lighter weight connector but can't find them

I've had pretty good luck with the Glock 4.5 lb 'minus' (-)  connectors

http://www.glockstore.com/Glock-Factory-Connector

http://www.glockmeister.com/45-Pound-Stock-Connector/productinfo/G721/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

The way I understand it, the weight and amount of creep are the result of the angle of the tab on the connector. The minus connectors give a lighter pull at the cost of more creep/mush. Personally, I like the single action feel and crisp break I get from an unmarked OEM connector and reduced power safety plunger spring.

I feel the same about the unmarked connector Timmay. I've used the minus, dot, unmarked and plus connectors. I personally favor the unmarked for now. There are other factors involved with the trigger feeling so this doesn't mean that the unmarked is best for everyone but it's good with my current setups.

PNWguy, to ad to Timmay's info, there may be suggestions offered that may get your Glock near being "unsafe" yet useful. Hopefully you'll ad your own research to suggestions made here and try options in real life before committing to modifications. You know. The firearm is deadly and should be taken seriously. I'm just thinking out loud here cause I'm sure you have the experience to make good decisions on this topic. Thanks for starting this post. I'll learn from it too.

Edited by I Am Groot!

UPDATE: It's pretty good now and as good as it's going to get and still be legal for GSSF Stock division.  Just polishing, minus connector, random Gen 3 trigger assembly, and lots of dry firing.  Seems to get better the more I shoot it.

• Like 1