"Victimless" Crimes

Seems like an oxymoron. I keep seeing references to victimless crimes in the local paper. Things like stealing. Seems to me like if you steal something from me, I might be a victim.

Sounds like maybe they are talking about crimes where no one is actually physically injured which would probably be a nonviolent crime.

• Like 1

Frankly, the only victimless crimes I can think of involve only one person. That person that is doing something to themselves. If you harm yourself, with no other party involved in any way, directly or indirectly, I can see this being a "victimless crime".

Otherwise, bugger off!

• Like 3

Frankly, the only victimless crimes I can think of involve only one person. That person that is doing something to themselves. If you harm yourself, with no other party involved in any way, directly or indirectly, I can see this being a "victimless crime".

Otherwise, bugger off!

You'll go blind!

• Like 3

• Administrators
Seems like an oxymoron. I keep seeing references to victimless crimes in the local paper. Things like stealing. Seems to me like if you steal something from me, I might be a victim.

I have never heard of theft being called a victimless crime. By definition theft involves more than one party and a victim.

The phrase usually covers things like drug use and adults consenting to various kinds of association (prostitution, bigamy....)

• Like 1

A corporation can't be a victim, because in the minds of the left and the media, as cruel oppressors of the downtrodden deserving poor, anything you take from them is not only not a crime, but simple justice.

The more extreme apply that same logic to white people and "rich" people. (Rich = doesn't pay a spend down every month to the county.)

I have never heard of theft being called a victimless crime. By definition theft involves more than one party and a victim.

The phrase usually covers things like drug use and adults consenting to various kinds of association (prostitution, bigamy....)

Around here, just about anything that doesn't involve violence is considered victimless by the courts. Recent legislation, SB91, did that for us. Steal a car and get caught with it, you might get a summons to court. Might, because if the thief says someone loaned him the car, the cops have to let them go.

• Administrators

Around here, just about anything that doesn't involve violence is considered victimless by the courts. Recent legislation, SB91, did that for us. Steal a car and get caught with it, you might get a summons to court. Might, because if the thief says someone loaned him the car, the cops have to let them go.

I dont believe that. Just browsing it, the issue seems to be prison sentences. Not arrests.

This may not be popular but I am of the belief that anyone who has had a business in an urban area and tried to get rid of the prostitutes hanging around out front or out back does not consider prostitution to be victimless.

• Like 1

• Administrators
This may not be popular but I am of the belief that anyone who has had a business in an urban area and tried to get rid of the prostitutes hanging around out front or out back does not consider prostitution to be victimless.

One of the thoughts about things like that is if it was legal, you would not have problems like that. That seems to be somewhat true in some places where it is legal. With technology it would be even more true.

The problem with prostitution is not all hookers are the same. Some are hookers of opportunity just to get a fix. That is the level that will be hard to get off the street corners.

• Like 1

I dont believe that. Just browsing it, the issue seems to be prison sentences. Not arrests.

They get a summons. Arrested on the spot and let go.

• Administrators

Perhaps that happens, but the law does not seen to imply that is how things will be done.

[quote=Rabbi;n3702

The problem with prostitution is not all hookers are the same. Some are hookers of opportunity just to get a fix. That is the level that will be hard to get off the street corners.

And my guess is those are about the level that cause the most trouble with surrounding businesses and sometimes in residential areas. And with them come the clients and sometimes drug dealers that a fair number of people just do not want in their neighborhoods.

I have seen people use the term inappropriately to describe crimes that they are morally OK with despite there being a victim. Stealing from a business for example.

I do think there are victimless crimes:

If a guy manufactured a silencer at home and only used it for target practice at his home in the country, who is the victim?

A guy grows a plant on his property and consumes it himself, who is the victim?

If you fornicate yourself and violate local sodomy laws, who is the victim?

• Like 2

Otherwise, bugger off!

gambling and smoking pot come to mind.

both crimes in most places,

if i am willing to commit those crimes, and no one else is harmed, should be my business.

for the record, the biggest gamble i ever took was marriage, and i neither use drugs nor do i drink.

• Like 1

Otherwise, bugger off!

Like jaywalking.