I want a new plinker. Maybe a 22/45?

Spats McGee

I have a Ruger Standard, from before they called them Mark-Anythings.  It has a pretty low round count,  likely in the 100s.  I like it just fine, with the exception of the takedown process.  Did that once, and it's unlikely I'll ever do it again.  

Anyway, I guess that's beside the point.  I want a new plinker.  The only shooting I can get Mrs. McGee to join me for is target shooting, and she really likes that Standard.  When we go to the range, I'd sure like to be able to shoot, in addition to being the Official Mag Loader.  Anyway, I'm looking hard at the Ruger 22/45 Lite, especially if I can find it in Mk IV.

Anybody care to share your experiences with these?  
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Odd no one responded quickly. The little .22/45's are great guns. 

I have one that is a first year production model that's had untold thousands of rounds through it. Brick after brick fell to it and in all the years I have owned it, I don't recall a single malfunction. I actually wish they would have offered that model in a steel frame. I kind of retired it for a MKIII that I Volqpimped. I am partial to a weighty gun. 

No experience with them; although, a friend loves his new Mk.IV., but he didn't get the /45. He wanted wood grips (Hunter? Competition? Not sure which). 

I've got a S&W 63 I rarely use and have been thinking about an Advantage Arms Conversion for my G26. But, that doesn't help with your question.

Well, I did a whole lot of horse-trading (an activity I thoroughly enjoy) and wound up with a 22/45 Lite.  I got to the range with in on Saturday.  It was more finicky than I expected, and I haven't yet diagnosed whether it's an ammo problem, a magazine problem, or just New Gun Growing Pains.  

• 5 months later...
On 1/8/2018 at 6:06 AM, Spats McGee said:

Well, I did a whole lot of horse-trading (an activity I thoroughly enjoy) and wound up with a 22/45 Lite.  I got to the range with in on Saturday.  It was more finicky than I expected, and I haven't yet diagnosed whether it's an ammo problem, a magazine problem, or just New Gun Growing Pains.  

I found that the tried and true CCI Mini Mags work the best.....no failures to eject or feed. And surprisingly Blazers work well....go figure.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Duece said:

I found that the tried and true CCI Mini Mags work the best.....no failures to eject or feed. And surprisingly Blazers work well....go figure.

First of all OP congrats on the new Ruger!  I think you are going to REALLY enjoy that pistol.

I'll echo Duese and say put Mini-Mag ammo thru it, if it still has malfs then you know the problem lies elsewhere.  Blazer is just Mini-Mag with a different bullet coating.

Maybe a new gun being run too dry.  The Ruger is a truly reliable pistol.

I think you'd be well served with the 22/45 LITE.

I have several 22/45s, both first generation (which folks often call the MKII) and one each of the LITE and MKIII models (both have been modified to eliminate the LCI and magazine safeties).

I haven't picked up a MkIV. It simply doesn't offer me anything I don't already have, and I'm really not a fan of the frankenstein hinge bolt on the MkIVs.

I learned to dis-assemble and re-assemble the Ruger rimfires a long time ago and it doesn't present any problems for me.

Good luck

I bought my 22/45 Mark III used.  Paid about $150 for it.  It has pounded thousands of rounds.  And I don't bother to take it down.  Just spray it down with gun cleaner and oil.

But I like my Browning Buck mark better. 

• 2 weeks later...

At the same time I ordered the MK IV Lite I also bought a Volquartsen trigger kit. Unfortunately the new gun had feed/eject problems and I was getting ready to send the gun back to Ruger. On a whim I installed the kit to see if it would make any difference even though I didn't think the feed/eject issue was trigger related. Something surely changed and now the gun cycles all types ammo without issue. 

36457759701_07ab5c416f_b.jpg

36229303770_a1e2e8f4b9_b.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/15/2018 at 8:35 AM, willieH said:

At the same time I ordered the MK IV Lite I also bought a Volquartsen trigger kit. Unfortunately the new gun had feed/eject problems and I was getting ready to send the gun back to Ruger. On a whim I installed the kit to see if it would make any difference even though I didn't think the feed/eject issue was trigger related. Something surely changed and now the gun cycles all types ammo without issue. 

Maybe you loosened a bit of manufacturing crud that was interfering?  

Either way, congrats on the gun!

• 2 weeks later...

I've Got a MKII tapered barrel a MKII Bull Barrel and my 22/45 Lite.  I got rid of the magazine disconnect and added the Volquartsen trigger.  If I have a complaint it's that it's almost TOO light.  The Bull Barrel stabilizes better.  The 22/45 is my backpacking gun when big critters won't be likely.

2245Lite.jpg

RMKS.jpg

Edited by syntaxerrorsix

We have a MK III.  I love shooting this gun.  Cleaning is another story.  I like to think I'm mechanically inclined.  I've had to get the directions each time I've cleaned it.  I would have like to be in the board room during production of this pistol and punched whoever OKed the take down process of this gun.  

• Like 1

I’ve got a gen 3 22/45.  It’s very accurate. It had possibly the worst factory trigger I’ve ever seen.   It was replaced with a Volquartesen trigger and that made all the difference in the world.  I agree with toofman about the take down process.  

I’ll probably get a Gen 4 when I’m satisfied the bugs have been worked out of it.  

• 2 weeks later...