Yes, it is most likely your fault your Glock doesn't work

Bren

Since it's a new forum, I wanted to start the Glock section off right, before all the newbs show up to complain that even with all of their home-gunsmithing improvements, replacement parts and the trigger job they learned from YouTube, they still have problems with their Glock and there is no explanation except Glock quality control failing.

1. Limpwristing is a real thing and can happen with any semi-auto. basically, your grip is so bad, you absorb the recoil energy the slide needs to fully cycle, so you have malfunctions. Get hotter ammo, a lighter recoil spring or, god forbid, a better grip.

2. Brass to face is caused by limpwristing, just not quite bad enough to cause a malfunction. Get hotter ammo, a lighter recoil spring or, god forbid, a better grip. You may disguise the problem with changes to the extractor or ejector, but your bad grip is still there.

3. A $.25 trigger job only costs $.25 until you have to buy a new trigger bar to replace the one you screwed up.

4. A polished trigger and light connector are a big help to your shooting...if you are pulling the trigger its full length of travel for each shot. On the other hand, if you are doing that, you are doing it wrong, so training would be better. Once you have training, you may find that a standard connector and stock trigger make it easier to stop the trigger at the break point and hold it there.

5. Stippling - reduces the resale/trade value of your gun and wouldn't be needed if you learned a proper grip (see ! and 2). If you really need a rougher grip, buy some skateboard grip tape - better and you can easily remove and replace it, with no permanent damage.

6. No, your Glock doesn't need a safety - if you don't want it to shoot, don't pull the trigger and it won't (this advice does not apply to Sig P320s). Also, sticking little foam things behind the trigger probably makes you more likely to have a ND, while you play with your trigger, not less likely.

Probably a lot more I'll think of later.

• Like 12

But you do definitely absolutely need a grip plug

No doubt about it.

reported....so thats what this does. carry on and I agree with all except maybe the grip if you're gonna keep it and want to make it your own special brand of butchered have at it but as you said it won't fix a bad grip.

"My Glock is shooting low and to the left!"

No, sir, YOU are shooting low and to the left.

I'm OK with the originals, but I have changed the sights on all of mine to either TruGlo TFO for carry or Warren Tactical for competition. My wife won't use anything but the original plastic sights and they've been holding up well on her guns for years of use, as they did on mine before I started changing them.

EDIT: I could swear that when this reply first posted, it was to the post about changing sights. Hmmm...

Edited by Bren
  • Like 1

Over the years I've developed a set of rules when reading your posts Bren. They go something like this:

1) Bren is always right. Always.

2)Bren knows everything. There is nothing that stumps him.

3)If at any moment you feel he may be incorrect refer back to rules 1-2.

Seriously, it is possible to Glocks to malfuction. I had a Gen4 23 that would get FTF's and FTE's. I replaced the recoil spring and the issue went away. It wasn't limpwristing.

Also, I really don't care if you don't like my stipple job. It's a $500 Glock, if the stipple job hurts the value then so be it.

I'm OK with the originals, but I have changed the sights on all of mine to either TruGlo TFO for carry or Warren Tactical for competition. My wife won't use anything but the original plastic sights and they've been holding up well on her guns for years of use, as they did on mine before I started changing them.

I picked up an awesome tip from Larry Vickers. I was taking a training class with him and using a new Glock and he said, "Bro, get a Sharpie and black out the rear sight, cover over the white bracket, then...split the white dot in half in your sight picture."

Damn..if that didn't do the trick.

But I replace the factory Glock sights. I invested in a sight tool and have never looked back.

I like a black rear sight, nice open rear sight and a high viz front post. Works for me.

I picked up an awesome tip from Larry Vickers. I was taking a training class with him and using a new Glock and he said, "Bro, get a Sharpie and black out the rear sight, cover over the white bracket, then...split the white dot in half in your sight picture."

Damn..if that didn't do the trick.

But I replace the factory Glock sights. I invested in a sight tool and have never looked back.

I like a black rear sight, nice open rear sight and a high viz front post. Works for me.

I might have to try that. How well does it work in the dark?

'

As well as the stock sights, since they have no capabilities at night anyway.

Refraining from snark.

Well, I suppose if you have no plans to ever need your handgun at night you've found a crackerjack setup there, JJHNSN.

Edited by Dynactus

If we are lucky maybe before too long we can read about how we do not need to worry about oil in the firing pin channel or that all you need to do is just lubricate the recoil spring.

Edited by Bruce

'

Well, I suppose if you have no plans to ever need your handgun at night you've found a crackerjack setup there, JJHNSN.

The standard Glock sights do NOTHING for you at night. If you are too mentally challenged to figure this out...good luck.

'

Refraining from snark.

Actually, in my limited experience, if you have a light on your gun or especially in your hand, the spill will illuminate a fiber optic sight enough for you to see it.

Over the years I've developed a set of rules when reading your posts Bren. They go something like this:

1) Bren is always right. Always.

2)Bren knows everything. There is nothing that stumps him.

3)If at any moment you feel he may be incorrect refer back to rules 1-2.

Seriously, it is possible to Glocks to malfuction. I had a Gen4 23 that would get FTF's and FTE's. I replaced the recoil spring and the issue went away. It wasn't limpwristing.

Also, I really don't care if you don't like my stipple job. It's a $500 Glock, if the stipple job hurts the value then so be it.

Fact is, after 30+ years of training, teaching and shooting, I just know a LOT more about Glccks and shooting than the typical "got my first gun last year, when I was 25" guy who posts here (or Glock Talk).

As for your issue, go back to the first post. Yes, you were limpwristing and yes, replacing the recoil spring is one solution for that exact problem (as I said). In a couple of years, when you've owned a gun for a couple of years, these things will make more sense to you.

Edited by Bren
  • Like 2

Refraining from snark.

A fiber optic front and black rear is a pretty common combination. That's how my Warren Sevigny sights on my competition 17 came as a set. For carry, you could go with a TFO/TFX front and a black rear and have the same effect with night sight capability (and fiber optic in the daylight). I have always figured a black rear sight would make aiming slower in the dark.

• Like 1

"My Glock is shooting low and to the left!"

No, sir, YOU are shooting low and to the left.

Yep, there's one I forgot.

I found this to be true. My G19 was shooting left and had me in fits until last night when I was trying to see if was me or the gun. I moved my trigger finger over to the first joint and everything changed. So it was me.

• Like 1

Agreed on all points.

I added a set of meprolights when I got my G23 in 2000. No other modifications.

My trigger inexplicably failed to reset after one round at about 4000 rounds. 90th round out of 100 that day. Otherwise, no malfunctions in 5000+ rounds.

Edited by Brad

• 4 weeks later...