Free sword for whomever wants it

devildog2067

My older son turned 12 (!) a few months ago. For his birthday, we wanted to get him a sword. My wife has a replica Viking sword she remembers fondly from her childhood, and it turns out they are widely available on Amazon for $40-50.

31nPm3gly3L._SX425_.jpg

It's perfectly fine, but not what I had in mind -- this sword looks great, but is a wall hanger. It's heavy, but has a rat-tail tang so I wouldn't hit anything with it for fear that it would break. Blade is not sharpened.

I forgot to do the return thing on Amazon in time so I can't send it back, and I don't really want to just leave it lying around the house. So it's free to whomever wants it. Throw me a few bucks for shipping if you can, or if you happen to live along the stretch of I-88 or I-355 or I-294 or I-90 between Jefferson Park and Naperville (I've been driving my daughter to school every day and will be for another week) I'll drop it off.

• Like 1

My older son turned 12 (!) a few months ago. For his birthday, we wanted to get him a sword. My wife has a replica Viking sword she remembers fondly from her childhood, and it turns out they are widely available on Amazon for $40-50.

31nPm3gly3L._SX425_.jpg

It's perfectly fine, but not what I had in mind -- this sword looks great, but is a wall hanger. It's heavy, but has a rat-tail tang so I wouldn't hit anything with it for fear that it would break. Blade is not sharpened.

I forgot to do the return thing on Amazon in time so I can't send it back, and I don't really want to just leave it lying around the house. So it's free to whomever wants it. Throw me a few bucks for shipping if you can, or if you happen to live along the stretch of I-88 or I-355 or I-294 or I-90 between Jefferson Park and Naperville (I've been driving my daughter to school every day and will be for another week) I'll drop it off.

Did you call Amazon and try? I've missed the date before and they have made exceptions...not that I'm trying to take away from the people who could use a sword.

• Administrators

I am really happy you are here Devildog and I hope you find a good home for the sword.

I am also giggle **** happy that we are having a "help me re-home a sword" thread. The next time anyone is down about life, just remember we live in a time and place such as this.

• Like 7

First - welcome to the new nuthouse DD. Eric and Rabbi have promised it will be even more fun than the last one.

Second it's very kind of you to offer such a thing. I don't live anywhere near your area but hopefully you will find a good home for this weapon.

• Like 3

Nice gesture, very nice thing so see in the first days of the new site.

If you haven't replaced it yet, you might find this site useful. There is a button to filter for what they call Battle Ready swords. They have a good reputation on the sharp and stabby thing type forums.

http://www.kultofathena.com/

If he enjoys swords, he might enjoy this channel. Lots of HEMA info.

https://www.youtube.com/user/scholagladiatoria

I got him this one, it's from Cold Steel:

88sms.jpg

a bit smaller than the Viking sword (he is 12 after all), pretty nice filigree on the hilt, and no edge but a sharpened point. So it's not a toy but I also feel like with no edge he'll be less tempted to use it to cut things...

• Like 1

Very classy. With luck it will kindle a life long love of history and historical weapons.

Get him the DVD of Rob Roy so he knows how NOT to use it. :) I still love the end of that fight, the (brief) look of surprise on the rapierist's face.

I got him this one, it's from Cold Steel:

88sms.jpg

a bit smaller than the Viking sword (he is 12 after all), pretty nice filigree on the hilt, and no edge but a sharpened point. So it's not a toy but I also feel like with no edge he'll be less tempted to use it to cut things...

I prefer cutters, but those little devils are absurdly fun to poke things with, so light and flickable. Get him some pumpkins.

I am really happy you are here Devildog and I hope you find a good home for the sword.

I am also giggle **** happy that we are having a "help me re-home a sword" thread. The next time anyone is down about life, just remember we live in a time and place such as this.

I should do a giveaway for Angry Bat. Better call my lawyer first. Whoever does x-ray for shipping will **** their britches when it comes through....

• Like 1