DRL's Daylight Running Lights

DAKA

6 minutes ago, crockett said:

One reason why I stopped riding. You often have to go slower than the traffic flow to avoid all those cagers mistakes, then you have others possibly rear ending you. There's not much fun left around my neck with all those cagers texting and not looking out for bikers.

It should be legal to pull Bambi over and shove that cell phone right up her ass.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, crockett said:

What you don't get is the fact that EVERY biker is also a cager (car driver). Its just a short term for car driver.

Sign in / up with a BS account, you don't have to give Google your real info.

I do get it.

I also know that when you begin to classify things as good (motorcyclists) and bad (cagers) and become convinced of the boundaries between them, it is much easier to segregate the next group you can identify that annoy you as the bad, you remaining the good, of course.

Ultimately, you become BLM, Antifa and Ilhan Omar.: anyone not me is evil.

No.

I want nothing to do with YouTube and being old and clueless, i can live without it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tous said:

I do get it.

I also know that when you begin to classify things as good (motorcyclists) and bad (cagers) and become convinced of the boundaries between them, it is much easier to segregate the next group you can identify that annoy you as the bad, you remaining the good, of course.

Ultimately, you become BLM, Antifa and Ilhan Omar.: anyone not me is evil.

No.

I want nothing to do with YouTube and being old and clueless, i can live without it.

Motorcycles make people better car drivers, because it takes away the cage and shows the true volubility in traffic.

I call things by the "name". Today's woke censorship only makes things worse because it removes the ability to carry a meaningful and strong opinion.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

It should be legal to pull Bambi over and shove that cell phone right up her ass.

I've wanted to do that to truck drivers, the commercial ones who aren't supposed to touch an electronic while moving. I had to avoid several when commuting to work and trying to come home. My commute was 978 miles, so they got a good shot at me on the interstates.

The only thing I didn't manage was a pile of junk iron falling off a flatbed work truck. Yea, you guessed it he never even slowed down, and no way he could have missed losing that pile of junk. $6800 later, my car was back to drivable.

10 minutes ago, crockett said:

Found it:

Motorcycles Are Missed Because Drivers Aren’t Looking for Them

https://www.psychologicalscience.org/news/motr/motorcycles-are-missed-because-drivers-arent-looking-for-them.html

Yup.  Sold my Valkarie, 20 years ago.  That's when people started not seeing big Bikes.   I remember seein this guy in a car,  screamin up behind me...He was judgin from the car in front of me...I knew it.  He didn't see me at all... I just moved over to the right side and went ahead about 2 car lengths and watched him slam into the car that was in front of me.

Yup...Time to get OFF a Motercycle...They don't see ya no more.  Only guys that survive "Cycles" now days are the "Crotch Rocket"dudes.  If you're good, AND...I see some good ones here in O town .. 

Also see the "skid marks" of the ones that "think" they're good.  Then...there's the old duffers that ride the "Lake Run" on a sunday morning. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, crockett said:

All my vehicles turn the light on automatically once it gets darker.

On motorcycles I turn the high beam on at day time. Increases your chances to stay alive. I lost count how many cagers turned right into my path. If I wouldn't slow down BELOW speed limit, anticipating that people simple don't look for bikers, I'd be dead 7 times over.

Most bikers die, because some toolbag in a car makes a left turn or crosses an intersection right in-front of the biker. They all claim they didn't see the bike at all, some start lying and claim that the biker must have been excessively speeding. A study showed, that car drivers simply don't look / search for bikes. Their brain is focused on searching for cars or trucks and a slim bike doesn't matches that search pattern. That especially accounts for older folks.

So PLEASE, look twice, and look out for bikers. If your vision isn't that good anymore, get new glasses. If your vision can't be fixed, consider other means to get around. Florida is full with elderly that literally can't see **** anymore, and yet they still drive around, causing high risks and harm to others.

And on a second note: if you know some older folks with those issues, offer rides to the doc, grocery shopping, etc.

Be careful with the bikes high beams in the daylight. I have seen far too many that the high beams wash out the turn signals and drivers coming at you don't know you are going to turn left in front of them. My Goldwing is that way, so I always dim the lights when I am at a stop light with turn signals on.

11 minutes ago, jmohme said:

Be careful with the bikes high beams in the daylight. I have seen far too many that the high beams wash out the turn signals and drivers coming at you don't know you are going to turn left in front of them. My Goldwing is that way, so I always dim the lights when I am at a stop light with turn signals on.

I removed the turn signals on all my bikes as well as the mirrors - they are too small and too close to each other - and replaced them with arm signaling and turning my head all the way before making a move. I also never count on cagers seeing me or my intentions. I ride like I'm invisible and every car / truck is "out to kill me". Only way to stay alive in Florida. We have snowbirds with no clue where they are, many elders that shouldn't be driving anymore, new folks moving here with their own driving habits, and locals going 95 MPH on I-95 in the 55 zones around Miami metro, all day long.

A proper sport bike has the advantage that you can out-accelerate everything on the street, that's often the better option compared to slamming the brake.

image.png.67538777c44eb917b8a6f50a46313dc3.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, crockett said:

I removed the turn signals on all my bikes as well as the mirrors - they are too small and too close to each other - and replaced them with arm signaling and turning my head all the way before making a move. I also never count on cagers seeing me or my intentions. I ride like I'm invisible and every car / truck is "out to kill me". Only way to stay alive in Florida. We have snowbirds with no clue where they are, many elders that shouldn't be driving anymore, new folks moving here with their own driving habits, and locals going 95 MPH on I-95 in the 55 zones around Miami metro, all day long.

A proper sport bike has the advantage that you can out-accelerate everything on the street, that's often the better option compared to slamming the brake.

image.png.67538777c44eb917b8a6f50a46313dc3.png

Here in St Pete, the state put up LED bulletin boards, on US 19, alerting folks that mama or papaw, has taken an hiatus.

No one has any idea where they are, and I’m sure that Miami has plenty of wanderers each month.  
I posted on another forum, how the locals act like they want to kill somebody by their reckless driving.  

I was poo pooed by a moderator, who informed me that it was like that everywhere.
No, I don’t think so, and when/if I get a carry permit, I am going to carry a .357, something with penetration.
So, the car that hits me, will be easily identifiable, with big holes in it. I love revolvers with great penetration.☠️☠️☠️

Note: that’s a great looking bike, I give it a 10.

1 hour ago, Biff said:

Here in St Pete, the state put up LED bulletin boards, on US 19, alerting folks that mama or papaw, has taken an hiatus.

No one has any idea where they are, and I’m sure that Miami has plenty of wanderers each month.  
I posted on another forum, how the locals act like they want to kill somebody by their reckless driving.  

I was poo pooed by a moderator, who informed me that it was like that everywhere.
No, I don’t think so, and when/if I get a carry permit, I am going to carry a .357, something with penetration.
So, the car that hits me, will be easily identifiable, with big holes in it. I love revolvers with great penetration.☠️☠️☠️

Note: that’s a great looking bike, I give it a 10.

Thanks. Are you talking about the sliver alert program, posting missing people post on those highways boards, usually older folks? I never get to read them fully. By the time I have read half of the first page it switches to the second and I'm gone. I'm not in Miami anymore, move up on the west coast. Too much drama down South.

5 hours ago, crockett said:

Thanks. Are you talking about the sliver alert program, posting missing people post on those highways boards, usually older folks? I never get to read them fully. By the time I have read half of the first page it switches to the second and I'm gone. I'm not in Miami anymore, move up on the west coast. Too much drama down South.

Yes, that’s what it’s called, Silver Alert, and honestly I don’t see how it helps. Like you said, it’s hard to read them as you are driving along.

Plus, maybe they just wanted to drive up to Atlanta, and didn’t tell anybody. Or got tired of their nosy kids, trying to run their lives, and hid away at a KOA cabin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Motorcycle riding made me a more aware car driver, also taking the Motorcycle Safety course after I'd been riding for years, taught me that a lot of what I was doing on the motorcycle was WRONG

I quit riding years ago, too dangerous these days especially in South Florida...

Also too many YAHOOS on bikes ....some of these guys must have a death wish..

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DAKA said:

Motorcycle riding made me a more aware car driver, also taking the Motorcycle Safety course after I'd been riding for years, taught me that a lot of what I was doing on the motorcycle was WRONG

I quit riding years ago, too dangerous these days especially in South Florida...

Also too many YAHOOS on bikes ....some of these guys must have a death wish..

I see people I know that have taken a motorcycle safety course that must have been sleeping in class, because they continue to make bonehead mistakes. For instance....riding in someone's blind spot, or cruising through town in the right hand lane. Riding through town with their feet up on the highway pegs away from the controls. And never using the front brake. I made using it a habit. 

• Like 2