DRL's Daylight Running Lights

DAKA

Of all the Government mandated regs, some are actually good    

DRL's for instance   WHY would you disable this feature? I have seen some late model cars that must have disabled the DRL's  ....

Over the Holiday we were visiting my son who lives in an area that has lots of unlighted roads, ... the development is off a State Road that has a 60 mph limit (so figure 70 80 mph) 

Easy enough if you are just making a right turn on to the highway, but in order to go in the opposite direction, you need to get into the left turn lane, and make a U turn   I nearly P****d myself as I started to turn and noticed a car coming toward us NO F ING LIGHT ON ((FULL DARK AT 9 pm) FORTUNATELY our car is rather quick and we avoided a collision, but not by much..

So this MORON WAS DRIVING AT NIGHT NO LIGHTS...IF the DRL's were on for sure I'd have seen him

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

I'll turn on my damn lights,  when I want my damn lights on.

I still have to push and pull a knob to lock/unlock my doors.

And my key is a piece of metal.

!

Unfortunately most “drivers” can’t drive. Actually operating a motor vehicle is an inconvenience that disrupts their time on their electronic devices. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

I'll turn on my damn lights,  when I want my damn lights on.

I still have to push and pull a knob to lock/unlock my doors.

And my key is a piece of metal.

!

I do have you slightly beat.

My truck doesn't have locks on the doors.  Doesn't have one on the ignition either.

And headlights, unless you turn on a switch, you don't even have turn signals.

High beam switch is on the floor also.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crockett said:

How many times do I have to tell you that the 5% limo tint doesn't go on the windshield gramps.

RESPECT YOUR ELDERS.... 

AND NO TINT ON THE WINDSHIELD EITHER    SONNY....   F'ing young punks these days....

• Haha 4

Dumbass emeffers driving with no lights (or DRLs with no taillights) when it's snowing like hell, foggy, raining hard, or just about pitch black dark piss me off no end. IDGAF if stupid people kill themselves but they never go out alone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The procedure for me driving my truck involves turning on the lights no matter what time of day/night/weather.  My husband's car does all that with sensors, including flipping the high beams on and off... which means he starts to drive my truck without turning anything on.  I expect at some point he's gong to forget the truck needs a key and he can't turn it on with this phone...

I miss having high beams on the floor.  That was really the best place for them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

All my vehicles turn the light on automatically once it gets darker.

On motorcycles I turn the high beam on at day time. Increases your chances to stay alive. I lost count how many cagers turned right into my path. If I wouldn't slow down BELOW speed limit, anticipating that people simple don't look for bikers, I'd be dead 7 times over.

Most bikers die, because some toolbag in a car makes a left turn or crosses an intersection right in-front of the biker. They all claim they didn't see the bike at all, some start lying and claim that the biker must have been excessively speeding. A study showed, that car drivers simply don't look / search for bikes. Their brain is focused on searching for cars or trucks and a slim bike doesn't matches that search pattern. That especially accounts for older folks.

So PLEASE, look twice, and look out for bikers. If your vision isn't that good anymore, get new glasses. If your vision can't be fixed, consider other means to get around. Florida is full with elderly that literally can't see **** anymore, and yet they still drive around, causing high risks and harm to others.

And on a second note: if you know some older folks with those issues, offer rides to the doc, grocery shopping, etc.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, tadbart said:

My problem with DRLs is that the tail lights don't go on. And then folks see their dash lights on, and light coming out the front, and think they're good. Which they aren't, if you're coming up behind them.

Dash lights aren't normally on with the DRL's. If you can't see the speedometer, turn on the lights. Better yet, most newer cars and an "Auto" feature. Leave it on and stop guessing, for the most part.

People driving in fog or a downpour with not light and the popularity of grey vehicles makes for a bad combination. "Well they should have seen me" seems to be the phrase of the times. Yes they should have but your inattention to detail makes it worse. 

Motorcycle riders are a top on the list. That itty bitty tail light isn't called a Tombstone just for the shape. I got to where I would only ride with a very chosen few before being forced to give up the hobby.

No one cares how important you think you are. Most think they are just as important and could care less about your ass. Be seen and turn off you friggin bright lights, they are blinding even in the daylight.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, crockett said:

All my vehicles turn the light on automatically once it gets darker.

On motorcycles I turn the high beam on at day time. Increase your chances to stay alive. I lost count how many cagers turned right into my path. If I wouldn't slow down BELOW speed limit, anticipating that people simple don't look for bikers, I'd be dead 7 times over.

Most bikers die, because some toolbag in a car makes a left turn or crosses an intersection right in-front of the biker. They all claim they didn't see the bike at all, some start lying and claim that the biker must have been excessively speeding. A study showed, that car drivers simply don't look / search for bikes. Their brain is focused on searching for cars or trucks and a slim bike doesn't matches that search pattern. That especially accounts for older folks.

So PLEASE, look twice, and look out for bikers. If your vision isn't that good anymore, get new glasses. If your vision can't be fixed, consider other means to get around. Florida is full with elderly that literally can't see **** anymore, and yet they still drive around, causing high risks and harm for others.

And on a second note: if you know some older folks with those issues, offer rides to the doc, grocery shopping, etc.

I have had my share of close ones on my Victory. Had an old man in a full size pick up take a left right in front of me. I dogged both brakes hard. Then the tool bag behind me almost ran me over.

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

I have had my share of close ones on my Victory. Had an old man in a full size pick up take a left right in front of me. I dogged both brakes hard. Then the tool bag behind me almost ran me over.

It gets really scary when you honk at them and they don't even hear it nor react, completely zoomed out on painkillers and whatnot.

• Like 1

So, like all Africans living in the United States for the past 200 years have never committed a crime, no motorcyclist has ever filtered up between cars on a highway at 120 miles per hour, done wheelies down busy city streets, run stop signs and stop lights because they were going 80 miles per hour in a 25 MPH zone and couldn't stop, gathered in packs and blocked highways or county roads because it's fun to piss off normal people  ....

Are those the poor,  innocent motorcyclist you are referring to?

NB I rode for a number of years and know the hazards and had my share of close calls due to other driver's inattention, but eschew the 'all car drivers are evil and we on two wheels are divine' attitude.

T'ain't true.

6 minutes ago, tous said:

So, like all Africans living in the United States for the past 200 years have never committed a crime, no motorcyclist has ever filtered up between cars on a highway at 120 miles per hour, done wheelies down busy city streets, run stop signs and stop lights because they were going 80 miles per hour in a 25 MPH zone and couldn't stop, gathered in packs and blocked highways or county roads because it's fun to piss off normal people  ....

Are those the poor,  innocent motorcyclist you are referring to?

NB I rode for a number of years and know the hazards and had my share of close calls due to other driver's inattention, but eschew the 'all car drivers are evil and we on two wheels are divine' attitude.

T'ain't true.

I didn't say all car drivers, but too many don't watch out for bikers. They kill WAY more bikers than bikers kill themselves while speeding or pulling a wheelie. And how many wheelie pulling bikers have killed a car driver? That's basically unheard off. That is the reality.

All this anti biker talk is only a lame attempt to distract from the fact that car drivers cause MUCH more harm to bikers than the other way around.

• Like 2

I was not being anti-biker, I was being sarcastic.

The 'us versus them' attitude aids no one and corrodes whatever and whoever it touches.

I suppose that it is now natural for your generation to assign cutesy names (cager) and denigrate entire categories of your fellow human beings.

Come to think of it, my generation did that, too.

We matured.

I drive/ride DEFENSIVELY. Because when I'm out there in the Kenworth and somebody makes a mistake, someone (probably not me) could end up dead. When I'm out there later on my Victory, if someone makes a mistake, I'm gonna be dead. People in cars and trucks drive like idiots around big trucks and motorcycles. Many have no clue about the hazards they are creating.

• Like 2

Again, you miss the point.

I don't care what you call  automobile drivers or how long such names exist, it is that they do exist that I disagree with.

NB most of your YouTube references are marked 'age-restricted' so I don't see them.

One reason why I stopped riding. You often have to go slower than the traffic flow to avoid all those cagers mistakes, then you have others possibly rear ending you. There's not much fun left around my neck with all those cagers texting and not looking out for bikers.

2 minutes ago, tous said:

I don't care what you call  automobile drivers or how long such names exist, it is that they do exist that I disagree with.

NB most of your YouTube references are marked 'age-restricted' so I don't see them.

What you don't get is the fact that EVERY biker is also a cager (car driver). Its just a short term for car driver.

Sign in / up with a BS account, you don't have to give Google your real info.

6 minutes ago, tous said:

But, but, but.....You call us Bikers. Or a....gasp....Trucker.