Building code and construction done by toolbags

crockett

You gotta love it when your belt sander trips the ******* GFCI breaker in the only power outlet in your garage.

Who the **** puts GFCI in the garage, on the backwall, 25 feet away from the garage door, at 3 feet height, away from ANY water source!

And who the **** puts only one outlet into a 2.5 car garage?

I had plans for a chill weekend but it looks like I'll be redoing the entire electrics in my garage with no GFCI bullshit outlets, bigger wires, bigger breakers, more 120 v outlets, and more 1, 2 and 3 phase outlets.

Building code and construction for fagits, soccer moms and beta males.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, jmohme said:

When we built our house, i had 10 outletd in my 2 car garage, and none of them at GFI.

I rented this place for a few years, was the first to move in, and when the owner wanted to sell, I was too lazy to move and just bought it. Needless to say, there are a few things that would be different if I would have built this house. Was a good deal though, I made 40% on it in 2.5 years

Just a matter of time though. My realtor is searching for some matching land. Custom shop and house to come. Buncha power outlets and 10 Gbit ethernet on every wall.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

My sister's house lost power to outlets in her living room and front porch.

Finally found the outlet on the back of the house on the opposite side of the garage (60 feet away) that had a tripped GFCI.  Resetting it solved the issue.

I can understand them for exterior walls and in kitchen/bath.  Now code seems to say you're supposed to have them in places like the bedroom as well.  Maybe a few too many adult toys were having issues and shocking people?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Cougar_ml said:

My sister's house lost power to outlets in her living room and front porch.

Finally found the outlet on the back of the house on the opposite side of the garage (60 feet away) that had a tripped GFCI.  Resetting it solved the issue.

I can understand them for exterior walls and in kitchen/bath.  Now code seems to say you're supposed to have them in places like the bedroom as well.  Maybe a few too many adult toys were having issues and shocking people?

Some code is done to cover the lowest IQ idiots around and in other instances it is massively lacking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Eric said:

I upgraded my brother’s garage last month for a metal lathe and small mill, plus some more 110v outlets and lighting. 

6729A87E-9AB2-4EDE-AEA3-FCF1498BAAD6.jpeg

That's some clean work! I thought about conduits but I'm the only one living in this house, so outdoor rated (only for the thicker insulation), flexible and stranded 12 AWG for 120 v / 20 amp breaker and 8 AWG for multi phase outlets will do.

Added these a couple weeks ago on the other side of the garage. Now its time for my work benches.

20211031_000133.jpg

• Like 2

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, crockett said:

That's some clean work! I thought about conduits but I'm the only one living in this house, so outdoor rated (only for the thicker insulation), flexible and stranded 12 AWG for 120 v / 20 amp breaker and 8 AWG for multi phase outlets will do.

Added these a couple weeks ago on the other side of the garage. Now its time for my work benches.

20211031_000133.jpg

I’ve wired a lot of shops. It is nice to be able to set everything up exactly where you want the power to land. It takes a little longer to run conduit, but I like having the failsafe ground path and protection for the wire. I guess I indulge my OCD demon a little when I do this sort of work too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Eric said:

I’ve wired a lot of shops. It is nice to be able to set everything up exactly where you want the power to land. It takes a little longer to run conduit, but I like having the failsafe ground path and protection for the wire. I guess I indulge my OCD demon a little when I do this sort of work too.

My OCD doesn't like holes in the wall lol There's not one photo or artwork hanging on my walls, so screwing metal pipes to the wall is a no-go. Attaching those boxes was bad enough.

• Haha 1

• Administrators
Just now, crockett said:

My OCD doesn't like holes in the wall lol There's not one photo or artwork hanging on my walls, so screwing metal pipes to the wall is a no-go. Attaching those boxes was bad enough.

I grew up in auto shops. Seeing electrical conduit and copper pipe for compressed air just feels like home. :supergrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I once spoke with an insurance client in his personal garage and noticed all of his outlets were GFCI.

Of course I had to ask.

His answer.  Prior to installing them, he had been working on a riding mower, laying on the concrete to get under the deck.  He was using a hand held grinder, which apparently did not have a double insulated case.  At some point an internal hot wire came loose from the switch and came in contact with the case.  He said when it did, he couldn't let go of it after it shorted.  He said his vision was blurring when at last a circuit breaker tripped shutting off power.  

So he had all the outlets replaced.  

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, crockett said:

Had an friend like that.  I called him a "Purist".  He said "No, I just consider this a House, not a home."   Huh.  Shut me up...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, norton said:

I once spoke with an insurance client in his personal garage and noticed all of his outlets were GFCI.

Of course I had to ask.

His answer.  Prior to installing them, he had been working on a riding mower, laying on the concrete to get under the deck.  He was using a hand held grinder, which apparently did not have a double insulated case.  At some point an internal hot wire came loose from the switch and came in contact with the case.  He said when it did, he couldn't let go of it after it shorted.  He said his vision was blurring when at last a circuit breaker tripped shutting off power.  

So he had all the outlets replaced.  

Problem with that is, that many industrial tools with motors trip GFCI, which renders the whole idea of building things in the garage moot.

Even some vacuums trip GFCI. I got sapped a few times due to my laziness but not once did GFCI do anything good for me.

Here comes the kicker, that stupid single GFCI outlet in my garage is the beginning of the only GFCI leg in my house, and that ends in my kitchen. Much like Cougar_ml's sister I stood there dumbfounded for a couple hours when the little **** in the garage tripped and I had no power around the kitchen countertops. Some installers need to be beat, with a stick.

• Like 4

I once was reminded that when they say built to code that means.  "Just built good enough to meet minimum requirements"  When I was still living in CA. I had to wait for the last home to be built, they said be patience it's being built to all the latest code requirements.  I just smiled and said that's nice.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, MO Fugga said:

I see a lot of this. These two happen to both be in a garage. Ozarks baby.

Yes that's an outlet floating around in there in the first pic.

0924200912.jpg

20210930_132733.jpg

Perfessnals! This kinda poop is why we get ridiculous codes. Then again, ridiculous codes is why we get this kinda poop... :shocked:

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Eric said:

I upgraded my brother’s garage last month for a metal lathe and small mill, plus some more 110v outlets and lighting. 

6729A87E-9AB2-4EDE-AEA3-FCF1498BAAD6.jpeg

No conduits, no monkey junctions, not one inch of wire exposed.... was fishing in the walls and attic all day long.

1897161912_20211128_1735421.jpg.250d0f3550eb090cd79ea954746b65c3.jpg

1255845577_20211128_1647531.jpg.133b980b24695290dbae49d292a15de7.jpg

810818797_20211128_1735041.jpg.b5148c97fa37ced4b2204ab3f730ba5c.jpg

I redeveloped a small neighborhood. Total remodel on everything. Including new plumbing and electrical. We upgraded the gas lines from black iron pipe to flex. Meets national code. Technically exceeded local code at that time. Basically we met California earthquake code for gas lines. 

Idiot code inspector failed us, hit us with a cease and desist order for all work on the entire project. Ordered all flex removed and replaced with iron. Hit us with a nasty fine. 

We filed a suit with the city and the state code for not being up to date with national earthquake code. The state was already in the process of updating code. We are an earthquake area. They told the city on no uncertain terms to knock the **** off. 

The city finally dropped everything. I strong suspected the real problem was that I wasn’t paying bribes to the inspector. I had heard rumors. I called him out about it very publicly in a restaurant. 

Next day all our permits were pulled again. The head of codes and zoning eventually overruled him. Then fired him. 

Later found out he had been fired twice before from other cities. For taking bribes. He is still a code enforcer in the state. 

• Sad 1

• Administrators
30 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Some auto shops seem to use PVC rather than copper for compressed air. That’s OK until it isn’t, at which time shards of PVC go flying around. 

I prefer copper. PVC doesn't age well and it doesn't like the cold. I've had it burst before and like you said, it can be interesting. Copper costs more and it takes a little longer to install, but it is forever.

1 hour ago, Batesmotel said:

I redeveloped a small neighborhood. Total remodel on everything. Including new plumbing and electrical. We upgraded the gas lines from black iron pipe to flex. Meets national code. Technically exceeded local code at that time. Basically we met California earthquake code for gas lines. 

Idiot code inspector failed us, hit us with a cease and desist order for all work on the entire project. Ordered all flex removed and replaced with iron. Hit us with a nasty fine. 

We filed a suit with the city and the state code for not being up to date with national earthquake code. The state was already in the process of updating code. We are an earthquake area. They told the city on no uncertain terms to knock the **** off. 

The city finally dropped everything. I strong suspected the real problem was that I wasn’t paying bribes to the inspector. I had heard rumors. I called him out about it very publicly in a restaurant. 

Next day all our permits were pulled again. The head of codes and zoning eventually overruled him. Then fired him. 

Later found out he had been fired twice before from other cities. For taking bribes. He is still a code enforcer in the state. 

That's exactly the cancer that needs to be cut out, and put into jail or attached to a tree. On all levels.

• Like 5