Courtesy Reminder of Jury Service starting November 22, 2021

Duluth

I've never done Jury Service before...I'm in group number 29 and the courts will be closed Thanksgiving and the Friday after. Do any of you have experience with this? Any idea of the odds I'll be called in? 

"The following group numbers will need to report to the Lower Level, Room 30 of the Ramsey County City Hall / Courthouse by 8:15 a.m.    

Group numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6.

If your group number is not listed, you must check for the next update Monday at 11:30 a.m. for the afternoon session.

It is important to note that jurors may be directed to report to the courthouse with less than 75 minutes notice for the afternoon, so please plan accordingly.

Please note:  Do not check this message prior to the times listed above, as the message is subject to change up until those times.

Thank you, stay safe and have a great day."

• Like 1

You need to report as directed. You may or may not actually end up serving.

Have COVID tests and/or jabs specified as required?

I have served on one criminal court jury. Was an interesting several days. Never on civil court juries.

Don’t “pack heat” or for that matter even carry a knife into the building.

You might want to carry a paperback novel to read during the selection process but put it aside if/when you are assigned to a jury.

Enjoy yourself and learn from the experience. 

• Like 5

They do the initial interview with everyone there and I always get excused. 

No record. Worked in a prison. Own guns. Regular church attendance. Know a lot of cops. Know a couple judges. 

Defender tosses me out. 

My wife had the best one. Had argued cases before the judge and was on a first name basis with him outside of court. Argued against the defense attorney. Dated the prosecutors brother. 

When she walked in all three almost simultaneously said Lisa???

She didn’t even get to sit down. 

• Haha 3

My only jury duty came a few years back.  I got assigned to a case where a pre-teen girl was "molested" at a sleepover at a friends house.  By the friends dad.  She woke up with his hands inside of her "jammies".

I argued with three of the jurors.  They said that she was young and "would get over it".  However, they said that, "The father would have a black mark on his name forever".  The rest of the jury wasn't willing to give it any thought.

I argued:  Do you believe the girl?  or do you believe the father that said he was "sorry".

My argument was that the father did this.  The child didn't do anything wrong.  So the father pays!".

We argued for half a day and they finally gave in to a guilty verdict.  They even wanted to go another day so they could get a free meal.  
Assholes!

The worst thing was that the three were retired women school teachers!  I told them what I thought of them for worrying about the adult  rather than a child!  It still makes me mad just thinking that people that work with children would throw them to the wolves so easily!!!!!!

Afterwards the Judge asked the jury if they had any questions about their verdict.  The three old women asked "did we do the right thing?"  The judge was condescending and assured them that they did the right thing.

I am damned glad I was on THAT jury.

Go and sit if asked.  You never know who you may have to fight for the rights of.  Someone may need you!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, janice6 said:

My only jury duty came a few years back.  I got assigned to a case where a pre-teen girl was "molested" at a sleepover at a friends house.  By the friends dad.  She woke up with his hands inside of her "jammies".

I argued with three of the jurors.  They said that she was young and "would get over it".  However, they said that, "The father would have a black mark on his name forever".  The rest of the jury wasn't willing to give it any thought.

I argued:  Do you believe the girl?  or do you believe the father that said he was "sorry".

My argument was that the father did this.  The child didn't do anything wrong.  So the father pays!".

We argued for half a day and they finally gave in to a guilty verdict.  They even wanted to go another day so they could get a free meal.  
Assholes!

The worst thing was that the three were retired women school teachers!  I told them what I thought of them for worrying about the adult  rather than a child!  It still makes me mad just thinking that people that work with children would throw them to the wolves so easily!!!!!!

Afterwards the Judge asked the jury if they had any questions about their verdict.  The three old women asked "did we do the right thing?"  The judge was condescending and assured them that they did the right thing.

I am damned glad I was on THAT jury.

Go and sit if asked.  You never know who you may have to fight for the rights of.  Someone may need you!

I never thought of it that way. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One was a guy,  that caught a guy hunting on his property.  So he told the guy not to do that.  Many days in a row.

Then,  the next day,  he found the guy's truck parked there.  So he stabbed his tires.

And pointed a rifle at him, and called the police.

And then there was a kerfuffle.  And the hunter guy got shot.

And his point was that he couldn't leave,  because hit tires were stabbed.

So, I don't remember, but we gave him whatever he had coming.  All shot, and all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

One was a guy that mowed the strip of grass for twenty years,  so it was his property.

And sold it.

The guy that had the deed disagreed.

I don't remember how we ended that.

I think the mower-guy lost.

Here we have a law that if you abandon your property and don't maintain it, whoever does can claim ownership to it.  Hard to prove, but not impossible.  My neighbor doesn't know where the property line is.  It's funny that the foliage he complains about, is on his property.

5 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Here we have a law that if you abandon your property and don't maintain it, whoever does can claim ownership to it. 

That was the deal.

I don't remember what we called.

It was only 40 years ago.

We got paid-out-of-work and lunch.

I think it took two days.

Them ******* lawn-mower guys.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

That was the deal.

I don't remember what we called.

It was only 40 years ago.

We got paid-out-of-work and lunch.

I think it took two days.

Them ******* lawn-mower guys.

Here it is Prescriptive Easement. 20 years and in most cases the claimant has to have paying the taxes. 

• Like 1

I don't know where my property line is (over the hill).

The guy that sold us (his wife grew up in our tiny house,  with seven kids, and they have a mansion over the hill) (it was an apple farm)  said we had enough to get to the "root cellar", built into the hillside.  It's pretty big.  Where'd they put apples, or whatnot.  I don't know.   (where we will run to when the bombs start..)

I looked in there one time,  and there was a dead deer,  all rotting,  with his head falling off.  We'll save it for an emergency.

Tornadoes can happen here.  And dead deer,  with their desiccated tongues,  all coming out.

Might be subsistence.

• Sad 1

Whatever.

The kid had gone into the behind-the-church house on a Saturday..  And asked the woman, doing church-stuff,  for money.  She, admittedly, freaked on him  Yelled and cursed him.

He (they handed it to us.  A 20lb crucifix) picked it up and bricked her in the face with it.  Hard.  Busted her skull in.  Her nose.

Armed robbery?  I don't remember.

He demanded money. Before he clocked her.  That was a big part.

In the jury room,  several of the local guys said that knew this guy their whole lives.  He lived in the neighborhood.  They said he's fried.  You can never talk us out of it.  Cooked.

Some older women cried,  before it was over.

We were there the whole week.  The local guys said, no budging allowed, none.

We found out, later, when she testified,  that the lady WAS the local judge,  working at the church on a Saturday.

Bricked, like,  put her face inside out.

We gave him the max. 60? years.  Harsh,  I know.  it was the law.

• Thanks 1