Sub zero cutting firewood today

We drove towards a beautiful westering sun on the way back home. The property where my cabin sits is 5 miles from what used to be the end of the road, and is 16 miles north of where I live. Before the road got extended, it was quite a struggle to get out there. Down the beach in the summer by atv and then up to the muddy pipeline corridor for some serious mud running. By snow machine down the pipeline in winter.

DSCN6365.JPG

• Like 3

On 11/19/2021 at 8:56 PM, janice6 said:

Watching Key West cam and everybody is bundled up in jackets and sweaters since it got to 73 degrees.........

We use jackets and sweaters when it's below 40.

I wear shorts and a warm jacket when it’s 45 or so in St Pete., I’ll put on some pants at 40 degrees.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

Serviced 2 saws today. Sharpened the chain on the Husky 365 Special and adjusted it. Fueled and ready to go. Pulled the MS 460 Stihl out and worked it over too. It's souped up. Planning to use it on a large spruce I will be bucking on next time we go out. 

What chain do you use on your 365, Walt? We have an older one with an H47 on it and it's cutting to the right. I suspect it's sharpened unevenly. 

5 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

What chain do you use on your 365, Walt? We have an older one with an H47 on it and it's cutting to the right. I suspect it's sharpened unevenly. 

I run a semi skip tooth .50 gauge 3/8 chain without the anti kickback bs on most of my saws. Some of the larger saws I run .404 skip tooth. Hand sharpen. Usually if you take a close look at your chain, you'll spot the problem if you are sharpening one side differently. Also try turning the bar over. If you have a competent saw shop in the area, they can dress your bar for you.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

I split logs for 3 hours this morning. Cherry, oak, and ash that I cut a couple days ago. After lunch I'm going out to haul it to our new-to-us firewood shed, stack it, and let it season for a year. 

God Love you guys!!!  I buy Logs every now and then, but most of the time I just use those "Coffee Logs" sprinkled with old Pallet boards I've cut into 6 inch Lengths.  

3 hours ago, Swampfox762 said:

God Love you guys!!!  I buy Logs every now and then, but most of the time I just use those "Coffee Logs" sprinkled with old Pallet boards I've cut into 6 inch Lengths.  

Hey man, I'll send you some firewood. Just pay the shipping. :supergrin:

20211201_133729.thumb.jpg.3d4cd9220a266d9f3fb6632e89774c42.jpg

20211201_135559.thumb.jpg.935b6a25639de96940ed7910b7af8e4c.jpg