Hey Squids! Do liberals ruin everything they touch?

gwalchmai

I just saw this. No time to train sailors on firefighting procedure? What do you bet they had time for diversity and sensitivity training?

Navy probe reveals failures that fueled arson fire and destroyed USS Bonhomme Richard

A Navy report has concluded there were sweeping failures by commanders, crew members and others that fueled the July 2020 arson fire that destroyed the USS Bonhomme Richard, calling the massive five-day blaze in San Diego preventable and unacceptable. 

While one sailor has been charged with setting the fire, the more than 400-page report, obtained by The Associated Press, lists three dozen officers and sailors whose failings either directly led to the ship's loss or contributed to it. The findings detailed widespread lapses in training, coordination, communication, fire preparedness, equipment maintenance and overall command and control. 

"Although the fire was started by an act of arson, the ship was lost due to an inability to extinguish the fire," the report said, concluding that "repeated failures" by an "inadequately prepared crew" delivered "an ineffective fire response." 

https://www.foxnews.com/us/navy-probe-reveals-failures-fueled-arson-fire-destroyed-uss-bonhomme-richard

We are so fucked. :(

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I've been on three ships going through extended maintenance periods and on all three fire safety was top priority. In fact all three ships used the extended time in port to rotate the crew through shipboard firefighting school. In addition, all ships held firefighting training for the ship's duty section every evening after the civilian workers had left for the day. The lack of training seen on the Bonhomme Richard is inexcusable. 

I remember my first command diversity training in 1996. The whole crew was required to attend an hours long lecture and video session at the base theatre. Back then it was received with derision, catcalls and laughter. Come to think of it, that's the only one I attended until I retired in 2002. Of course there were others broadcast on the ship's CCTV that were required watching but we're largely ignored. I reckon today's social justice warriors take that crap seriously, and we see the results here.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

25 minutes ago, aomagrat said:

I remember my first command diversity training in 1996. The whole crew was required to attend an hours long lecture and video session at the base theatre. Back then it was received with derision, catcalls and laughter. Come to think of it, that's the only one I attended until I retired in 2002. Of course there were others broadcast on the ship's CCTV that were required watching but we're largely ignored. I reckon today's social justice warriors take that crap seriously, and we see the results here.

The US Navy is an amazing example of diversity.   Have mercy.  You have people from everywhere who choose to join and serve in all sorts of ways.

The big thing should be:  Can you do your job and get along with your fellow sailors?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Historian said:

The US Navy is an amazing example of diversity.   Have mercy.  You have people from everywhere who choose to join and serve in all sorts of ways.

The big thing should be:  Can you do your job and get along with your fellow sailors?

Getting along should be somewhere in distant 5th place. Do your job or swim with the sharks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

Firefighting on a docked ship under overhaul would suck. 

Flammable materials, passageways clogged, hatchways blocked open, intermittent electrical and communication systems. 

Freaking nightmare. 

True, but would it really be worse than firefighting on a ship under attack by people trying to sink it? And isn't that the standard of training? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

True, but would it really be worse than firefighting on a ship under attack by people trying to sink it? And isn't that the standard of training? 

Yes.

Underway you try to close off compartments on fire and let it suffocate. Can’t do that with hatches blocked open with cables and ventilation. Worse if the vents are active. Just feeds the flames. 

They need to hang that little ****. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

Yes.

Underway you try to close off compartments on fire and let it suffocate. Can’t do that with hatches blocked open with cables and ventilation. Worse if the vents are active. Just feeds the flames. 

They need to hang that little ****. 

Good point. :599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a fine example of the corrosive effects of integrating females into combatant unit crews, and the slavish worship of diversity which has caused and perpetuated it.  This ship's crew literally didn't know a dang thing about how to fight their ship.  But they were and are hell on wheels in Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.

Billion dollar warship totaled.  Capability lost.  

But full speed ahead to Diversity Nirvana!

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Gunboat1 said:

This is a fine example of the corrosive effects of integrating females into combatant unit crews, and the slavish worship of diversity which has caused and perpetuated it.  This ship's crew literally didn't know a dang thing about how to fight their ship.  But they were and are hell on wheels in Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.

Billion dollar warship totaled.  Capability lost.  

But full speed ahead to Diversity Nirvana!

I think it's another example of the now over a century long disagreement among our citizens of the purpose of our military. One view is that its purpose is to defend the country and another is that it's to bring about social change. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DWARREN123 said:

It's just not the NAVY or military, it's our country. The ship is like our country, no one   ***** in charge****    knows what the hell to do!

We are being run by "THE SHIP OF FOOLS" 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fnfalman said:

The captain was a male commissioned officer.  The arsonist was a male lower enlisted.  

both are biological males and both are white, but diversity and chicks are at fault, yo!!!

I think the point is diversity has taken a higher priority than fire fighting.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

I just saw this. No time to train sailors on firefighting procedure? What do you bet they had time for diversity and sensitivity training?

Navy probe reveals failures that fueled arson fire and destroyed USS Bonhomme Richard

A Navy report has concluded there were sweeping failures by commanders, crew members and others that fueled the July 2020 arson fire that destroyed the USS Bonhomme Richard, calling the massive five-day blaze in San Diego preventable and unacceptable. 

While one sailor has been charged with setting the fire, the more than 400-page report, obtained by The Associated Press, lists three dozen officers and sailors whose failings either directly led to the ship's loss or contributed to it. The findings detailed widespread lapses in training, coordination, communication, fire preparedness, equipment maintenance and overall command and control. 

"Although the fire was started by an act of arson, the ship was lost due to an inability to extinguish the fire," the report said, concluding that "repeated failures" by an "inadequately prepared crew" delivered "an ineffective fire response." 

https://www.foxnews.com/us/navy-probe-reveals-failures-fueled-arson-fire-destroyed-uss-bonhomme-richard

We are so fucked. :(

Remember in WWII when our carriers succumbed to fire from attack, while the English's deck protected them.  It's sad that sometimes our military has to learn from catastrophe.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Historian said:

I did not serve in the navy.  My dad did 34 years. 

I thought firefighting was everyone's job on a ship.  Either by being careful or putting out the fires.  That's critical to saving a ship at sea and it's crew.

Yes.  You never know who will be at the scene when fire breaks out.  There is never time to run to find someone else.  Everybody trains.  (My ship was made of wood!)

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Is this a good thread in which to bring up Navy ships running into or allowing themselves to be run into by cargo ships?

Sure!  The incidents are perfect additional examples of the problem I cited, which any pinhead should be able to understand.   PC kills, and Diversity should be the last thing combatant ships should worry about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Historian said:

There were people who I worked with that I did not like, but when the fecal matter hit the rotary air circulator I was glad that they were on my team.

26 minutes ago, aomagrat said:

There were people who I worked with that I did not like, but when the fecal matter hit the rotary air circulator I was glad that they were on my team.

That's my point.  I work with a lot of people in law enforcement that i don't care for.  But we're professional and if things are really bad...we crap hits the fan...sure am glad they are there.

• Like 1