Went and bought a Subaru

LostinTexas

Never owned a Subaru. I wanted a BRZ for a while but it was sold out everywhere at that time. I think its the perfect fun car that doesn't get you easily arrested like real sports cars / super cars.

A Subaru Wagon would be also nice in my eyes. Perfect gun range vehicle with the rear seats down for rife cases and 4WD. I also always liked boxer / flat motors.

Tires make a big difference. I'd never cheap out on proper rubber, especially when you are dealing with a lot of rain / snow / mud / dirt.

Took this photo a couple years ago, got me really hooked.

image.png.53fd86555ce81f05c6d2463912015553.png

7 hours ago, LostinTexas said:

For anyone interested, I have ~1800 miles on the thing and just driving and never giving mileage much thought. The green engine will take a while to settle in. Filled up today and just for giggles, calculated mileage. 32.25 MPG. Amazingly the lie-o-meter showed 32.5. 

If it settles in to this, I'll be just fine. Got what I wanted and getting the same as my last car. 

Now I need to decide if I want to get some more aggressive tires or let the stock ones ride. I'll see how they do in less than paved over the coming months and decide.

What model, etc. did you get, Lostin?

WRT tires, I usually consider the dealer tires something to wear out while researching the second set. ;)

12 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

What model, etc. did you get, Lostin?

WRT tires, I usually consider the dealer tires something to wear out while researching the second set. ;)

Crosstrek. Low end of the SUV's and the "Limited". Not sure how Limited they are, but it seems to be well enough equipped. It is the smallest they make for SUV, but plenty for what I see a use for. Comparable in size to the RAV4, that I shopped for 4 years and never could find one I wanted in the price and financing I wanted, and others SUV's of the class.

I'm down to one of three sets of tires. Four models seem to dominate the Subaru forums, but one stands out as a favorite, and one is a favorite of mine, but a different model than I used to run on pickups. A little more street than off road, but should be capable and frozen and foul weather rated. We don't see much snow here, but we see ice somewhat regularly. I try to stay put in the stuff, too many people think they can drive in it and I don't like dodging them.

I avoided a lot of things since getting there was a little more than a sedan was made to handle, so hopefully this one will free up some hobby trips.

Just a stock photo, but the car and the color.

2021-Subaru-Crosstrek-Sport20.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, LostinTexas said:

Crosstrek. Low end of the SUV's and the "Limited". Not sure how Limited they are, but it seems to be well enough equipped. It is the smallest they make for SUV, but plenty for what I see a use for. Comparable in size to the RAV4, that I shopped for 4 years and never could find one I wanted in the price and financing I wanted, and others SUV's of the class.

I'm down to one of three sets of tires. Four models seem to dominate the Subaru forums, but one stands out as a favorite, and one is a favorite of mine, but a different model than I used to run on pickups. A little more street than off road, but should be capable and frozen and foul weather rated. We don't see much snow here, but we see ice somewhat regularly. I try to stay put in the stuff, too many people think they can drive in it and I don't like dodging them.

I avoided a lot of things since getting there was a little more than a sedan was made to handle, so hopefully this one will free up some hobby trips.

Just a stock photo, but the car and the color.

2021-Subaru-Crosstrek-Sport20.jpg

Don't SUBARU'S require BIRKENSTOCKS ?     :anim_rofl2:      ( OR WAS THAT LONG LONG AGO?)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LostinTexas said:

You missed out of the first page. Yuk it up. You're just jealous you can't pull it off.

May you all be plagued with juicy bugs on your windshields. :couch:

Actually probably a really good little SUV.... 

26 minutes ago, DAKA said:

Actually probably a really good little SUV.... 

I hope so. Folks that have them seem to love them. Internet boards aren't quite so kind, but have to be taken with a grain of salt. People come to grip about things, mostly small, but some issues. The problem is how wide spread or self imposed they are. 

I guess we'll see, and the folks here with them seem rather fond.

The physically abusive woman I dated had an Outback. I changed the headlight bulbs on it a couple times. I was swearing like a mule skinner. Have to remove the front tire and access the headlight through a hole the size of my hand. Then of course you can't see what you're doing and have to work by feel removing a little metal clip, that if it falls, you will never find it again. My Fords all have bulbs that twist in, including my ancient 94. Subaru hasn't figured that out yet. 

1 hour ago, Walt Longmire said:

The physically abusive woman I dated had an Outback. I changed the headlight bulbs on it a couple times. I was swearing like a mule skinner. Have to remove the front tire and access the headlight through a hole the size of my hand. Then of course you can't see what you're doing and have to work by feel removing a little metal clip, that if it falls, you will never find it again. My Fords all have bulbs that twist in, including my ancient 94. Subaru hasn't figured that out yet. 

Already had mine out putting a flash to pass in. 1/4 twist and it's out. I guess they either caught up or this one is just different than the Outback; the intake and washer reservoir have to be taken loose but it isn't difficult.

There is a special place in hell for auto engineers. You know they don't repair the stuff they come up with.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LostinTexas said:

Already had mine out putting a flash to pass in. 1/4 twist and it's out. I guess they either caught up or this one is just different than the Outback; the intake and washer reservoir have to be taken loose but it isn't difficult.

There is a special place in hell for auto engineers. You know they don't repair the stuff they come up with.

AMEN...Do they think that it will never break? All engineers should be required to do maintenance on what they design

• Like 3

Before we universally condemn the wonderful, saintly engineers, most of the way that things such as automobiles are assembled is are the decisions, nay, the unquestionable edits of accountants, production managers and those that sit in corner offices in high buildings.

:miff:

The Outback the xgf had, for some unknown reason, would occasionally start consuming an ungodly amount of engine oil. Low miles on it, but every so often we'd find ourselves dumping quarts of oil into it, even if we had just done an oil change. We carried jugs of oil in the car. It burned out light bulbs way too often too. I looked that one up and it was an electrical issue common with that vintage. The latch for the back door failed also. Subarus are pretty common in Alaska, and lots of people (old hippes) love them. Maybe cause they're cheap and 4 wheel drive. But I am not a Subaru fan boy.

1 hour ago, deputy tom said:

Four of my friends are tried and true Subaru fan boys. I can't afford to buy one new or used so I stay away from them. We have two used Jeeps that are good vehicles for our needs. I hope the OP has good experiences with his Subaru. tom. :cowboy2:

And they likely refer to these cars as "subies"

• Haha 1