Went and bought a Subaru

LostinTexas

Title says it all. I have been half hazardly shopping for a few years. Wanted a small SUV, AWD, comfortable, reliable, yadda yadda, good mileage and hybrid.

After 4 years of none on the lot an none seemingly available for what my first choice was, when I was ready to buy, I was flipping through the interwebs and found a Subaru site. Everything I was interested in, and a frugal price, was available sans the hybrid. Not a deal breaker and the claimed economy was not too far off the hybrid claims I had been perusing.

OK got up, strolled over to the nearest dealer to take a peek. I had no intentions on buying, because I had never had any good experience from a dealer in that town. Drove home for the price I wanted and a pretty generous trade on my Camry. Not what I could have got for it, but for the trade and tax difference, I wasn't going to argue over it. Probably one of, if not "the", best auto buying experiences I ever had. Not expected since it was one of two new vehicles on the lot. They can't get electronics for them, as is well known.

Looking forward to the experience. I never thought much of Subaru, they were plain and kinda baron in the days I looked. They are supposed to be long lived vehicles, I hope so.

Any after thought advice? The 2 people I know that have the brand have had them for a long time and really have no desire for anything else, but I just only know the two.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

Title says it all. I have been half hazardly shopping for a few years. Wanted a small SUV, AWD, comfortable, reliable, yadda yadda, good mileage and hybrid.

After 4 years of none on the lot an none seemingly available for what my first choice was, when I was ready to buy, I was flipping through the interwebs and found a Subaru site. Everything I was interested in, and a frugal price, was available sans the hybrid. Not a deal breaker and the claimed economy was not too far off the hybrid claims I had been perusing.

OK got up, strolled over to the nearest dealer to take a peek. I had no intentions on buying, because I had never had any good experience from a dealer in that town. Drove home for the price I wanted and a pretty generous trade on my Camry. Not what I could have got for it, but for the trade and tax difference, I wasn't going to argue over it. Probably one of, if not "the", best auto buying experiences I ever had. Not expected since it was one of two new vehicles on the lot. They can't get electronics for them, as is well known.

Looking forward to the experience. I never thought much of Subaru, they were plain and kinda baron in the days I looked. They are supposed to be long lived vehicles, I hope so.

Any after thought advice? The 2 people I know that have the brand have had them for a long time and really have no desire for anything else, but I just only know the two.

Bought my wife a first year brand new Sabaru Brat with bucket seats in the bed and a topper.  She loved that little car. 

The two girls were the queens of their grade school, when the wife pulled in front of the school and the girls got out of the bucket seats in the back.  All the kids thought they were sooooo coooool.

Son learned to drive a stick shift in it.  Spun a bearing at 30,000 miles.  Never had another one!

That was a longggg time ago.

Our 2000 Subaru Legacy wagon has about 60,000 miles on it and is my son's college car.  It had the typical head gasket problem of cars made during Subaru's head gasket redesign period.  So, we were well out of warranty and paid to have it fixed.  Other than that, it's been a nice car.  Handles great. 

17 minutes ago, Gunboat1 said:

I drive a 2017 Outback, 84k miles.  I love that car.  It is an outstanding,  useful,  capable vehicle that drives extremely well.   I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. 

Thanks Gunboat. Those are the stories I like to hear, and have heard for a long time from the two folks I know. I got the Crosstrek. I went looking for the Crosstrek, but was open to browsing. Not much of that, though,  because it and a Forester were the only new vehicles on the lot. I liked the Forester, but it was too well equipped for my budget in mind. Went back a coupe days later to pick up a toll tag I left, and it was gone. Our sales guy said he was a used car salesman any more.  Good kid, pretty new to the dealership. I hope he does well, he seems to be conscientious about his job.

If the service department passes the sniff test and the car holds to it's reputation, I will be a customer for as long as they want me.

5 hours ago, janice6 said:

My wife is getting entirely too religious.  Last night she kept saying, "Oh God!", "Oh God!", "Oh God!".

That's funny, mine is like a project manager.  She keeps asking "Are you done yet?", "Are you done yet?", "Are you done yet?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Gunboat1 said:

I drive a 2017 Outback, 84k miles.  I love that car.  It is an outstanding,  useful,  capable vehicle that drives extremely well.   I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. 

My wife has been looking at these.

She can buy whatever she wants.  :) But this looks like a decent vehicle.

On 9/24/2021 at 6:33 PM, gwalchmai said:

I been lusting for the new Toybaru BRZ / 86. Not gonna happen unless Madonna runs into the Miata with her checkbook, though. :(

Don't get this wrong, I loved my Camry. Had Minis for several years and loved both of them. 

Driving it wouldn't be the problem, getting out of the thing would. One of the many reasons to trade away from the Camry. I turn and just stand out of this one instead of having to stand up from a low position. Make since? 

I'm past the "fun" car stage. I still love them, but utility takes priority these days.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

For anyone interested, I have ~1800 miles on the thing and just driving and never giving mileage much thought. The green engine will take a while to settle in. Filled up today and just for giggles, calculated mileage. 32.25 MPG. Amazingly the lie-o-meter showed 32.5. 

If it settles in to this, I'll be just fine. Got what I wanted and getting the same as my last car. 

Now I need to decide if I want to get some more aggressive tires or let the stock ones ride. I'll see how they do in less than paved over the coming months and decide.

• Like 2