Nutritional Value of Hair

Eric

• Administrators

So, how much hair do you breath in or injest each year?

I read a report that said that the average who regularly dines on fast food eats around 100,000 hairs a year, or about the amount needed to make a wig. The same site said that the average human can eat 6 square feet of dirt before dying, so make what you will of their info.

I started this fact-finding mission trying to find stats on how much pet hair pet owners inhale or ingest each year. I didn't find any information, except anecdotal stuff and hypocondriacs wondering if their pet hair was killing therm. I did find the gem below though. I'd like to buy that guy a beer.

1431332328_ScreenShot2021-09-08at1_23_39PM.png.faaa756f2333f8e3936afe0a4343c237.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eric said:

I read a report that said that the average who regularly dines on fast food eats around 100,000 hairs a year, or about the amount needed to make a wig. The same site said that the average human can eat 6 square feet of dirt before dying, so make what you will of their info.

I figure they mean six cubic feet, but that doesn't make me feel better. Pickup truck is about a cubic yard. Is that over a lifetime?

Also, we eat a bunch of spiders...

• Administrators
42 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

I figure they mean six cubic feet, but that doesn't make me feel better. Pickup truck is about a cubic yard. Is that over a lifetime?

Also, we eat a bunch of spiders...

Yeah, I double-checked. They said square feet. I guess we can handle more 2D dirt than 3D dirt. I bet that 2D dirt has some sharp edges though. Seems like it would cut the **** out of you.

• Haha 1

I brush Kitty frequently with a Furminator and when I'm doing it, my mind always wanders to 1 of 2 subjects.

The first is how many times every day I've had to tell her to get her butt out of my face.  This number is disturbingly high.

The second is how many cats hairs I eat per year.

I actually have a single cat calculation somewhere in one of my trading notebooks but I'm not going to look for it right now.  From memory the number was about 4,000 and I though much of that came from putting food or drink on plates or cups that had hair in them. 

I do remember counting the hairs I got off my dishrag once but I stopped in horror and went to  make sure there was none in my tequila bottle.