Garuda Linux

Eric

• Administrators

It just occurred to me that my old MacBook Pro was just sitting in the safe, drawing dust. Leaving it in there as a spare copy of the old data was a little silly. I stuck a fresh drive in it and just installed Garuda Linux on it as the only OS. Everything works, so far. 

I was just watching the progress bars of all the downloads on the post-install update. It never occurred to me to wonder why they called their package manager Pacman. Flickering back and forth between the red upper and lower-case ‘C’ characters at the end of each progress bar does look like Pac-Man eating the little zeroes in its path. :doh:

• Administrators

I just ran into a really weird problem. I had to take Garuda Linux off the old MacBook Pro, although it is still running in a virtual container on my current MacBook Pro. It was causing kernel panics and locking up on the old machine. So, I decided to install Linux Mint on there instead. This happened.

Hello. I just installed a fresh, uncustomized instance of Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon on a mid-2010 Macbook Pro 15-inch, as the sole OS. All the hardware appears to be working. All the apps that were added during the installation process work normally. However, any program that I install doesn't open properly. They open minimized on the panel, but not in the workspace. They do not appear on the desktop.

They are running and they generate no errors. I can see them running as my user, in htop. They will close properly, with no errors. If I mouse over their icons on the panel, I can see a thumbnail of the running program. If I show all workspaces, I can see the open apps on the thumbnails of the workspaces that contain them, but if I click into those workspaces, the apps are minimized and stay that way. This behavior occurs whether I launch the app from its desktop icon, or from the command line.

If nothing else is open on the workspace and I click on one of these programs, there is a brief flicker along the left of the screen and then nothing. There are no errors. They just will not open in the workspace. This is only occurring with apps I installed, either with the software manager, or from the terminal. I've been looking for hours and cannot find a single reference to anyone experiencing a similar issue. Any ideas?

OK, I am closing in on the problem. I just tried to do a screen capture to show that the app I was running showed as being selected in the panel and when I looked at the screenshot pic, there is the app, waaaayyyyy off the left side of the screen. The screen is apparently far too wide, but only to the left. The display settings where set up by default for two continguous displays, so the desktop was 3360 pixels wide and I was seeing only the last 1,680 pixels of it.

I've been running webservers on Debian and then Ubuntu servers for more than twenty years. This is the first time I've encountered this. This is also the first time I tried to install LinuxMint on an older MacBook Pro. The trackpad and the wifi did some weird things as well, but I got past those. The display looked proper from the start and it just didn't occur to me to check and see how it was set. Oddly enough, all the programs installed in the initial install opened on the right side of the screen and were thus viewable to me. Everything I installed loaded on the left side of the screen and were invisible to me, although that brief flicker must have been then opening off-screen to the left.

Linux Mint installed correctly enough on the old MacBook Pro that everything appeared to work, but it decided the thing had two screens attached. I've been doing this a long time and I haven't run across that one before. Now that it is fixed though, the old laptop is running great.

• Like 1