Garuda Linux

Eric

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Historian said:

That's a heck of a lot of hardware, Eric.  Were you using a physical load balancer?  Like a Kemp?  I've had excellent results with them in an Exchange environment.  No virtualization?

That is a massive amount of processing ability.  I had no idea GT was that gigantic.  We all knew it was big but you weren't running a server in your down stairs bathroom. 

What the heck was your bandwidth?

I was running three T-1s before I finally moved everything into a good datacenter and then I was running of a fiber trunk. The site did at one time reside on a server rack in a household walkin closet, with a dedicated 9in AC vent. :supergrin:. This was back around 2003. I bet it was the only house around with three T-1 lines supplying it. It sure made for good internet connectivty for the house.

Just now, Eric said:

I was running three T-1s before I finally moved everything into a good datacenter and then I was running of a fiber trunk. The site did at one time reside on a server rack in a household walkin closet, with a dedicated 9in AC vent. :supergrin:. This was back around 2003. I bet it was the only house around with three T-1 lines supplying it. It sure made for good internet connectivty for the house.

Laugh.  No one in 2003 had three T-1s to their house.    

Download speed was not your issue.

• Like 1

• Administrators
Just now, Historian said:

Wow.  That explains why the system rarely went down.    That box might have been Elfiq?  I seem to remember them.

Eric that's not a hobby that's a business. When you sold it i hope you made obscene money.

I made quite a bit and then six months later, bypass surgeries (5 total, due to infections and other complications). It was a blessing to have that money when I needed it, but I didn't have health insurance then, as it was damned difficult to get a policy with preexisting heart issues and the medical bills burned through most of the proceeds. I'm not complaining. I would have been screwed without the money to draw on, so GT did me a lot of good, plus it provided me a modest income for five more years, after the sale.

I couldn't have run GT's email server on the server I run TBS on now. I would love to grow this place half as big as GT got, but it is damned hard trying to make lightning strike the same place a second time.

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Historian said:

So...if I can get this to run a GPS based NTP server....this would be awesome!

Hell, I've got 3 different 3d and one 2d cad software packages up and running on it. I've found most of the graphics and programming apps I use as well. I am impressed with what's available.

1 minute ago, Eric said:

I made quite a bit and then six months later, bypass surgeries (5 total, due to infections and other complications). It was a blessing to have that money when I needed it, but I didn't have health insurance then, as it was damned difficult to get a policy with preexisting heart issues and the medical bills burned through most of the proceeds. I'm not complaining. I would have been screwed without the money to draw on, so GT did me a lot of good, plus it provided me a modest income for five more years, after the sale.

I couldn't have run GT's email server on the server I run TBS on now. I would love to grow this place half as big as GT got, but it is damned hard trying to make lightning strike the same place a second time.

had no idea you went through such a bad time there, Eric.  Glad you're back in the saddle.   At least the sale went right for you.

As for this place.  It's great.  Bunch of decent people.  Lots of entertainment.  It will grow.   But you are right about strikes.   

Anyway.  I like what you do here.  

Downloading some apps on this thing.  I like this distro.

12 minutes ago, Historian said:

8.1 was bad.   Really bad.   Ever wonder why there wasn't a 9?  Because Microsoft had this odd issue of every other numbered operating system sucked blue oysters.  

They skipped 9 and went to 10...to get past that image in users minds.

I always thought it was because 8 was such a POS that the fix for it had to be even farther away than one system. Like, make a replacement system, then throw it in the trash and replace that one instead.

1 minute ago, Eric said:

Hell, I've got 3 different 3d and one 2d cad software packages up and running on it. I've found most of the graphics and programming apps I use as well. I am impressed with what's available.

If i can get this thing set up as a GPS based NTP server i'll get a physical machine and dedicate it to the cause.   I like precise time keeping for various types of signal analysis and radio work i enjoy.   Right now I've got a Trindle Thunderbolt running and it's nice but it does not work as a network based NTP server.   I could, i guess make this PC the primary time keeper for the domain but....i like segmentation in some services.   

• Like 1

• Administrators

had no idea you went through such a bad time there, Eric.  Glad you're back in the saddle.   At least the sale went right for you.

As for this place.  It's great.  Bunch of decent people.  Lots of entertainment.  It will grow.   But you are right about strikes.   

Anyway.  I like what you do here.  

Downloading some apps on this thing.  I like this distro.

I think Garuda is a keeper. I am goiing to build a dedicated desktop box for it. I was planning to do that and install Linux Mint, but I much prefer this distro. Linux Mint is pretty sweet too though. I'll keep a virtual instance of it running on my Mac.

2 minutes ago, jfost11 said:

I always thought it was because 8 was such a POS that the fix for it had to be even farther away than one system. Like, make a replacement system, then throw it in the trash and replace that one instead.

8 was just...a mistake.   Especially, in an large environment with hundreds of computers.   You were better off staying with seven every day of the week.  I am curious how eleven is going to work.  Should be out later this year.

I'm ready for it to break critical applications.

1 minute ago, Eric said:

I think Garuda is a keeper. I am goiing to build a dedicated desktop box for it. I was planning to do that and install Linux Mint, but I much prefer this distro. Linux Mint is pretty sweet too though. I'll keep a virtual instance of it running on my Mac.

Mint was nice but this thing blows it away.  I ran that for a desktop for a while.  It was one of the better distros i ever saw.

There's a lot of players in the Linux market and many of them are getting better every day.

• Administrators
Just now, Historian said:

Mint was nice but this thing blows it away.  I ran that for a desktop for a while.  It was one of the better distros i ever saw.

There's a lot of players in the Linux market and many of them are getting better every day.

Yeah, there are a ton of distros out there. I think that Arch Linux/Garuda might be the only distro not based off of either Debian or RedHat. Maybe there are others, but I haven't heard of them.

2 minutes ago, Historian said:

8 was just...a mistake.   Especially, in an large environment with hundreds of computers.   You were better off staying with seven every day of the week.  I am curious how eleven is going to work.  Should be out later this year.

I'm ready for it to break critical applications.

It gives me a bit of joy to imagine the scene from the original Robocop where ED209 blasts the exec in the office away by mistake, not because he was holding a gun. But because he's the guy who designed windows 8.

1 minute ago, Eric said:

Yeah, there are a ton of distros out there. I think that Arch Linux/Garuda might be the only distro not based off of either Debian or RedHat. Maybe there are others, but I haven't heard of them.

That was a curious quirk in the install. I started it as Debian because it was an obvious choice.

Anyway.  Found some GPS software that will work with serial attached devices.   Just need the proper software to connect to the birds.

• Like 1

• Administrators
Just now, jfost11 said:

It gives me a bit of joy to imagine the scene from the original Robocop where ED209 blasts the exec in the office away by mistake, not because he was holding a gun. But because he's the guy who designed windows 8.

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" :greensupergrin:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jfost11 said:

Your missed the OS called Microsoft Bob. 

Looking Back At Microsoft Bob | Hackaday

• Administrators

That was a curious quirk in the install. I started it as Debian because it was an obvious choice.

Anyway.  Found some GPS software that will work with serial attached devices.   Just need the proper software to connect to the birds.

Imagine the amount of work it would take today to build a totally new distro, from the ground up. That is a hell of an undertaking.

• Administrators

Your missed the OS called Microsoft Bob. 

Looking Back At Microsoft Bob | Hackaday

That just gave me animated paperclip flashbacks. Someone should have written a game that let you chase that little ****** around the screen and stab him with the cursor.

• Like 1

Just now, Eric said:

Imagine the amount of work it would take today to build a totally new distro, from the ground up. That is a hell of an undertaking.

Well Linus started doing it...and look how far open source has taken us.   The Linux system runs in one flavor or another on just about everything. In fact, as i understand it, Windows 11 will have it built into the OS.   

• Like 1

Just now, Eric said:

That just gave me animated paperclip flashbacks. Someone should have written a game that let you chase that little ****** around the screen and stab him with the cursor.

Clippy!   There was even a short video of the death of Clippy back in the day.

Clippy Didn't Just Annoy You — He Changed the World

• Like 2

• Administrators

The High School mentioned in that movie is Lee Iacocca High.

That made me laugh back then and now.

It's hard to believe that one man could bare so much responsibility for noth the Mustang and the K-Car.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Well Linus started doing it...and look how far open source has taken us.   The Linux system runs in one flavor or another on just about everything. In fact, as i understand it, Windows 11 will have it built into the OS.   

Windows will find a way to **** up Linux. That would like asking Harley to build an engine that doesn't leak oil. I bet there are puddles under their prototype electric bikes.

• Like 1