Kenville

tadbart

Awesome news! Congrats!

I'd get a travel trailer and live on the property while making up my mind and building everything. Makes it much easier to get a feel for things before wasting time or making mistakes.

I'd also start planting trees for more privacy.

Start looking for a larger, used bobcat on local auctions. You will need one for ongoing property maintenance and any builds / berm for range / digging trenches / spreading gravel / etc

For power I'd get a solar array and build my own Lithium battery bank to the point of not needing anything from the grid.

That's at least what I will do when I find my land.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, pipedreams said:

Something like this will be in his future.  Lots people here have similar setups.

image.png.df98331c3ed1c7fc3f1456cd0afbb046.png

Yo, Pipe. That tractor needs a snow blade. I plan on goats, and maybe leasing for cows, so we can lose the mower deck. Can I drop the bucket and add a blade? Then, the discussion turns to 4wheeler vs SxS with a bed...

28 minutes ago, tadbart said:

Yo, Pipe. That tractor needs a snow blade. I plan on goats, and maybe leasing for cows, so we can lose the mower deck. Can I drop the bucket and add a blade? Then, the discussion turns to 4wheeler vs SxS with a bed...

Old used 4WD single cab long bed farm truck. Can be used to tow your bobcat / tractor for repairs or to other properties, it can help pull the tractor out if it gets stuck, the long bed holds MUCH more tools and gear compared to any side by side etc, you got a real cabin that is heated and doesn't get rained on, you can put a snow plow on the truck - will move snow much faster than any tractor.

Check out Andrew Cameras YouTube channel, he owns land in NY state, bought all the machines to maintain the land and build his own container house / shop. I could watch this guy all da long. This is an episode where he snow plows and maintains his single cab truck. I think he got it for like 1500 bucks and used it for many years.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tadbart said:

That's just example, you can configure them just about anyway to suit you, depends on how much you want to spend.  See what people in the area are using and what sort dealerships or repair shops are local.  I usually plow snow with my ATV since it has a larger footprint than my 4x4 truck and can get in tighter places.  Now days the 4x4 utility vehicles are more popular that the ATV  since you sit upright and use a steering wheel rather than handlebars.  They can be equipped with windshield and cab for cold weather.  They have a small bed plus winch and snow blades mount real easy. Might be hard to find a used one since there fairly new on the market.  Most states now legally allow the UTV's on rural roads.

Crockett brings up a good point about the price of old trucks.  I still say see what works best for the people in the area, they can make better recommendation than any of us.

• Like 2

I bought a John Deere 2032R for around my compound. It has a few attachments. I plan to add a 60" snow blower soon. Until then I plow with a Volvo front end loader with a 10' wide V blade. If you end up buying a skid steer, do some research first. The older Bobcats are impossible to get parts for.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tadbart said:

Actually the bucket and snow blade are interchangeable.  Bucket comes off and the blade goes on.

1954306644_Screenshot2021-09-08at19-15-27kubotatractorattachmentssnowplowsQwantSearch.png.8b46a7f9061f25dd33b492d58bd6afa1.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1