Jump to content

Acid Reflux? Acid Indigestion? Ulcers & Other Chronic GI Issues?


Eric
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Administrators

I have suffered from a hietal hernia and acid reflux for about twenty years now. The VA has approached the issue with their usual efficiency and I've suffered quite a bit from the systems. I take Protonix now, but still have to take take Maalox as well, to get to sleep. Until last week.

Someone I know recommended an herbal tea to me. I'm really not one who lends a lot of credence to such things, but she caught me at a week moment, so I bought some. The product was a tea made from root of licorice. First of all, I hate licorice candy and other licorice flavored things, but that isn't what this stuff tastes like. There is a hint of a pleasant earthiness and then a sweet note. It is an unusual flavor, but not at all unpleasant.

More importantly, my esophageal discomfort was gone in a matter of minutes and it stayed that way for hours. I've had a cup of this stuff every night at bedtime for a week and I haven't had a drop of Maalox since. This product has had a profound impact on my condition and I wanted to share it with you all.

I've done a bit of reading about it. This product acts to coat the stomach and esophagus, creating a protective layer, so it can heal. It promotes a healthier layer of mucus lining to do the same thing. It has been known to drastically reduce the number of h pylori bacteria found in the stomach, which is a bacteria that causes ulcers. Apparently, licorice has been used for thousands of years, for digestive issues.

There is bad to go with the good. Too much of the a compound found in licorice (glycyrrhizin), can cause problems. It can deplete potassium, cause a buildup of calcium and it can interfere with the function of a number of prescription meds, like some cholesterol meds and some blood pressure meds. I talked to me doctor and she said the real danger can come from interaction with some heart meds, so if you take heart meds, talk to you doctor before trying. The people I've read about that got too much licorice in their systems were eating a lot of licorice candy, not drinking a cup of tea.

I did talk to my doc before I tried this stuff. I had a couple of risk factors that I wanted to address. She gave me a couple of things to watch out for and then told me to take it if it helps. It is inexpensive and it has helped me a lot.

Also, there is a version of the root extract where they have removed almost all the glycyrrhizin that causes the problems. This product is called DGL. I have personally found that it is not quite as effective, but it still helps, with far fewer risks of side effects. It can generally be found as a chewable tablet.

Anyway, if you have suffered from esophageal pain and heart burn the way I have, it would be worth your while to look into this. Once again, the tea is Licorice Root Tea and the pills are DGL. Keep in mind that if you make the tea, it has to steep for ten to fifteen minutes.

I wish someone had told me about this stuff twenty years ago. It doesn't  just provide relief, it aids in healing. Just keep in mind that there are dozen amounts and lengths of time that you need to concern yourself with. Do some reading. I hope this helps someone out there. It has sure helped me. Take all of this for what it's worth. I am not a doctor. I'm just relating my experiences.

 

This is the stuff I am taking. This isn't a shill post. Just me trying to help others.

81fWQXjKR6L._SL1500_.jpg.664e6dc6389456c2a6655b945d82603c.jpg

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dude, I'm glad you found something that helps. I'm sure you've already tried all the "lifestyle modifications" suggested, such as not eating 4 hours before bed, elevating the head of your bed by even 2 inches, sleeping on your left side, avoiding caffeine, alcohol, spicy foods, acidic foods, etc. 

I don't knock less conventional treatments, because sometimes they work, dammit.  I'm seriously glad you've found something that is making life more pleasant. 

You mentioned H. pylori. Are you positive for the antigen? It's a simple finger prick or blood test, and a relatively complex round of a few antibiotics, but still a relatively easy fix. 

Keep track of your blood pressure, if you've had issues in the past. Licorice can affect it, sometimes. 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A lot of those old world remedies have a lot of merit.

A couple of exercises and Apple cider vinegar capsules have settled LostWife right down. She had slept in a recliner for months and the reflux was causing esophageal problems. Fortunately it was early and nothing permanent.

Docs just kept trying a new pump inhibitor. Not out of line in any way, but the definition of doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results is pretty well known. She still has a bad day on occasion, but can trace it down to a couple of foods or just not eating well.

I hope it works out for you.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Eric said:

I have suffered from a hietal hernia and acid reflux for about twenty years now. The VA has approached the issue with their usual efficiency and I've suffered quite a bit from the systems. I take Protonix now, but still have to take take Maalox as well, to get to sleep. Until last week.

Someone I know recommended an herbal tea to me. I'm really not one who lends a lot of credence to such things, but she caught me at a week moment, so I bought some. The product was a tea made from root of licorice. First of all, I hate licorice candy and other licorice flavored things, but that isn't what this stuff tastes like. There is a hint of a pleasant earthiness and then a sweet note. It is an unusual flavor, but not at all unpleasant.

More importantly, my esophageal discomfort was gone in a matter of minutes and it stayed that way for hours. I've had a cup of this stuff every night at bedtime for a week and I haven't had a drop of Maalox since. This product has had a profound impact on my condition and I wanted to share it with you all.

I've done a bit of reading about it. This product acts to coat the stomach and esophagus, creating a protective layer, so it can heal. It promotes a healthier layer of mucus lining to do the same thing. It has been known to drastically reduce the number of h pylori bacteria found in the stomach, which is a bacteria that causes ulcers. Apparently, licorice has been used for thousands of years, for digestive issues.

There is bad to go with the good. Too much of the a compound found in licorice (glycyrrhizin), can cause problems. It can deplete potassium, cause a buildup of calcium and it can interfere with the function of a number of prescription meds, like some cholesterol meds and some blood pressure meds. I talked to me doctor and she said the real danger can come from interaction with some heart meds, so if you take heart meds, talk to you doctor before trying. The people I've read about that got too much licorice in their systems were eating a lot of licorice candy, not drinking a cup of tea.

I did talk to my doc before I tried this stuff. I had a couple of risk factors that I wanted to address. She gave me a couple of things to watch out for and then told me to take it if it helps. It is inexpensive and it has helped me a lot.

Also, there is a version of the root extract where they have removed almost all the glycyrrhizin that causes the problems. This product is called DGL. I have personally found that it is not quite as effective, but it still helps, with far fewer risks of side effects. It can generally be found as a chewable tablet.

Anyway, if you have suffered from esophageal pain and heart burn the way I have, it would be worth your while to look into this. Once again, the tea is Licorice Root Tea and the pills are DGL. Keep in mind that if you make the tea, it has to steep for ten to fifteen minutes.

I wish someone had told me about this stuff twenty years ago. It doesn't  just provide relief, it aids in healing. Just keep in mind that there are dozen amounts and lengths of time that you need to concern yourself with. Do some reading. I hope this helps someone out there. It has sure helped me. Take all of this for what it's worth. I am not a doctor. I'm just relating my experiences.

 

This is the stuff I am taking. This isn't a shill post. Just me trying to help others.

81fWQXjKR6L._SL1500_.jpg.664e6dc6389456c2a6655b945d82603c.jpg

 

 

Awesome find, I'll add it to my tools.

I have been dealing with reflux ever since I was partying in Miami for years. Alcohol weakens the muscle that keeps the acid out of the esophageal. Eating huge meals instead of many small ones did the rest.

I was on an inhibitor for about 3 to 4 years. Getting off was the horror for about 3 months.

 

This is what removes ALL my issues:

- Elevated my bed head by 10 (!) inches. Looks kinda funny. Ever since I can't sleep on anything flat anymore, not because of the reflux but it feels normal to me.

- No more alcohol, no more smoking.

- Staying away from sodas or anything sparkling.

- Staying away from any refined sugars.

- Staying away from anything that causes gas.

- No meals 6 hours before going to bed.

- Nothing fluid 3 hours before going to bed (and only small amounts).

- Daily walking, at least 3k steps before going to bed. 

- Losing some weight and staying below 200 pounds.

 

Recently I got away from that routine by having a beer or two every other day, eating way too late and too big portions. Reflux came back to the point of waking up in the middle of the night with stomach contents or acid in my mouth.

Not sticking to those rules is ok once a month or so, but anything more than that and I risk my health.

So I have decided to go back to my strict routine and following all my rules.

While a drink, a big meal, or eating late makes us feel good for the moment, having no pain, being able to sleep well, and staying away from side effects is MUCH more worth. We just take it for granted, and that's a mistake.

Every day I can go out to the beach (or anywhere) without any GI issues feels like a win in the lottery to me.

Thanks for the thread!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I took "Tagament" for years for Acid Reflux..  I can remember back in 96, when I went to the Dr. for "Acid"  problems.  Turns out it was mostly a **** load of Stress. 

He hooked me up to a "visual" Xray.  Then gave me some **** to drink.  Barium solution I think it was. 

I stood there and watched that **** go down my throat and STOP.  I said..."THAT is the Problem"  I could Feel it...just Stuck.  He said...Wait a min...Hit me with an Iv...and within a minute...I watched and FELT that **** just open up and drain into my stomach.  GOD did it feel goot!!!  I said...."You got that **** in a Pill?? Cause THAT's my Problem."  They put me on tagament.  It helped, but that was 96.  Sure there is better stuff out there now days.  

Drinkin, eatin and Lifestyle is the Real Problem most of the time.  Least it's MY problem.  I'm a walkin contradiction...and as Chris Rea says..."Workin on it'.  It's gettin late in the game though....


 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
12 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

I took "Tagament" for years for Acid Reflux..  I can remember back in 96, when I went to the Dr. for "Acid"  problems.  Turns out it was mostly a **** load of Stress. 

He hooked me up to a "visual" Xray.  Then gave me some **** to drink.  Barium solution I think it was. 

I stood there and watched that **** go down my throat and STOP.  I said..."THAT is the Problem"  I could Feel it...just Stuck.  He said...Wait a min...Hit me with an Iv...and within a minute...I watched and FELT that **** just open up and drain into my stomach.  GOD did it feel goot!!!  I said...."You got that **** in a Pill?? Cause THAT's my Problem."  They put me on tagament.  It helped, but that was 96.  Sure there is better stuff out there now days.  

Drinkin, eatin and Lifestyle is the Real Problem most of the time.  Least it's MY problem.  I'm a walkin contradiction...and as Chris Rea says..."Workin on it'.  It's gettin late in the game though....


 

Protonix is light years ahead of Tagamet. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
1 hour ago, crockett said:

 

 

Awesome find, I'll add it to my tools.

I have been dealing with reflux ever since I was partying in Miami for years. Alcohol weakens the muscle that keeps the acid out of the esophageal. Eating huge meals instead of many small ones did the rest.

I was on an inhibitor for about 3 to 4 years. Getting off was the horror for about 3 months.

 

This is what removes ALL my issues:

- Elevated my bed head by 10 (!) inches. Looks kinda funny. Ever since I can't sleep on anything flat anymore, not because of the reflux but it feels normal to me.

- No more alcohol, no more smoking.

- Staying away from sodas or anything sparkling.

- Staying away from any refined sugars.

- Staying away from anything that causes gas.

- No meals 6 hours before going to bed.

- Nothing fluid 3 hours before going to bed (and only small amounts).

- Daily walking, at least 3k steps before going to bed. 

- Losing some weight and staying below 200 pounds.

 

Recently I got away from that routine by having a beer or two every other day, eating way too late and too big portions. Reflux came back to the point of waking up in the middle of the night with stomach contents or acid in my mouth.

Not sticking to those rules is ok once a month or so, but anything more than that and I risk my health.

So I have decided to go back to my strict routine and following all my rules.

While a drink, a big meal, or eating late makes us feel good for the moment, having no pain, being able to sleep well, and staying away from side effects is MUCH more worth. We just take it for granted, and that's a mistake.

Every day I can go out to the beach (or anywhere) without any GI issues feels like a win in the lottery to me.

Thanks for the threat!

Another important point is that esophageal tissue that is chronically damaged by reflux can lead to esophageal cancer. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks, I think this is certainly worth a try. I usually don't eat late and try to stay upright for a while after eating to avoid the reflux problems. Although a couple of weeks ago I got a random spell of reflux that was particularly bad and didn't want to subside. I was up pacing for 2 hours waiting on some relief after every wave. I've never had a spell like that before and I don't understand what caused it. I think all of the usual triggers were avoided. I was left waiting on a tagament and an omeprazole to kick in since I was out of the chalky drink type of relief.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
3 minutes ago, jfost11 said:

Thanks, I think this is certainly worth a try. I usually don't eat late and try to stay upright for a while after eating to avoid the reflux problems. Although a couple of weeks ago I got a random spell of reflux that was particularly bad and didn't want to subside. I was up pacing for 2 hours waiting on some relief after every wave. I've never had a spell like that before and I don't understand what caused it. I think all of the usual triggers were avoided. I was left waiting on a tagament and an omeprazole to kick in since I was out of the chalky drink type of relief.

A box of that tea costs around $7 and it can set in the cabinet until it is needed. I don't sing the praises of a product very often, but this stuff has been a huge benefit to me.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, jfost11 said:

Thanks, I think this is certainly worth a try. I usually don't eat late and try to stay upright for a while after eating to avoid the reflux problems. Although a couple of weeks ago I got a random spell of reflux that was particularly bad and didn't want to subside. I was up pacing for 2 hours waiting on some relief after every wave. I've never had a spell like that before and I don't understand what caused it. I think all of the usual triggers were avoided. I was left waiting on a tagament and an omeprazole to kick in since I was out of the chalky drink type of relief.

That sounds more like a gallbladder attack, often confused with heartburn. Dealing with that as well. I can eat fatty meals 1 or 2 times, after that my gallbladder rips me apart for 2 to 3 hours and I need a week on a low fat diet to calm that stupid thing down. Been eating a salad for lunch every day to keep the fatty meals at bay.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Eric said:

Another important point is that esophageal tissue that is chronically damaged by reflux can lead to esophageal cancer. 

It's a death sentence. After my uncle had his esophagus removed, he was dead in weeks. Someone close to me has a constricted esophagus and has had a second "balloon" treatment. Necessary every few years. 

Get that **** under control.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Eric, I did not know about the tea but I’m going to try it.  Thanks for sharing that information.  

Many years ago the doctor told me no smoking,  Beer, white label George Dickle whisky; chicken wings, those big tubs of peppermint puffs from Sams and other food groups heretofore deemed necessary for life.  And my wife had the nerve to tell me I had got grumpy and hard to be around!

Nexium was the big thing then and really helped for awhile.  Acid reflux really is a killer.  

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, 21 shooter said:

Eric, I did not know about the tea but I’m going to try it.  Thanks for sharing that information.  

Many years ago the doctor told me no smoking,  Beer, white label George Dickle whisky; chicken wings, those big tubs of peppermint puffs from Sams and other food groups heretofore deemed necessary for life.  And my wife had the nerve to tell me I had got grumpy and hard to be around!

Nexium was the big thing then and really helped for awhile.  Acid reflux really is a killer.  

I don't blame you. :anim_rofl2:Nexium is pretty good stuff. There are others, but it is still highly regarded.

Kudos to you for giving all of that up. Hat's off for doing it all at once. You gotta do what you gotta do, but that is a big step.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, crockett said:

That sounds more like a gallbladder attack, often confused with heartburn. Dealing with that as well. I can eat fatty meals 1 or 2 times, after that my gallbladder rips me apart for 2 to 3 hours and I need a week on a low fat diet to calm that stupid thing down. Been eating a salad for lunch every day to keep the fatty meals at bay.

Well, ****

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Eric said:

Another important point is that esophageal tissue that is chronically damaged by reflux can lead to esophageal cancer. 

Actually mine lead to Vocal cord cancer 7 years ago.  Stage 2.  Radiation for 30 days got it.  Now...might have something going on again.  Sure hope not.  Got a CT in a week.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
56 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

Actually mine lead to Vocal cord cancer 7 years ago.  Stage 2.  Radiation for 30 days got it.  Now...might have something going on again.  Sure hope not.  Got a CT in a week.

Are you sure it wasn't from all that **** you talk? :whistling: :anim_lol:

Seriously though, I hope your test goes good next week. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Hell, that might actually speed up my typing.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

Actually mine lead to Vocal cord cancer 7 years ago.  Stage 2.  Radiation for 30 days got it.  Now...might have something going on again.  Sure hope not.  Got a CT in a week.

Beast wishes Swamp Thing. We'll keep you in the prayers.

Dang if that list isn't getting longer and longer.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...