I love scammers.

Batesmotel

So my wife found a nice child’s backpack while hiking today. She left it on a prominent signpost at the trailhead. Then she posted an ad in the Lost and Found section of a local classified website. My number is the contact number for our account. 

Almost immediately I get bombed with people wanting the pack. If it was theirs and the read the ad they would know exactly where it is hanging. 

The best are the scammers who want to send a verification code before they will talk to me. I have fun screwing with them. 

This guy is pissed. I’m so easily entertained.

EF21D837-C2AE-4573-AA01-2903232A523F.jpeg

• Haha 6

The scam goes like this. 

I post something for sale. 

Scammer wants to send a verification code. He already has my phone number from the site. He wants to get an email address also. If I give him an email address he says he will come over to buy the item I’m selling so I give my home address. We probably chatted a little so if he is good he knows a bit more about me.

Then he makes an excuse about not being able to pick it up. But he comes over in the middle of the night and raids my garbage for mail I tossed out. 

With all that info he attacks my identity and accounts. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

The scam goes like this. 

I post something for sale. 

Scammer wants to send a verification code. He already has my phone number from the site. He wants to get an email address also. If I give him an email address he says he will come over to buy the item I’m selling so I give my home address. We probably chatted a little so if he is good he knows a bit more about me.

Then he makes an excuse about not being able to pick it up. But he comes over in the middle of the night and raids my garbage for mail I tossed out. 

With all that info he attacks my identity and accounts. 

You need to level up.

Give him your address. Then hide in your trash can, and when he shows up, beat the living **** out of it. Put him into the trash can so the stupid gulls at the landfill can fill him up again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I got a call from "the IRS" yesterday warning my that if I didn't press 1 I'd be prosecuted, so I pressed 1. I was connected to "Bryan" (Blyan), who wanted to know what the call was about. I said "You called me. How should I know what it's about?" He then asked for my SSN for "velification purposes". I then asked if he was the same Blyan whose mom used to work in the alley behind Mama LoMei's massage parlor in Seoul. Blyan suddenly acquired an impressive command of English. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I got a call from Officer Agent of Special Investigation Force informing me that my SSN had been used illegally and I was to subject to be arrested if I didn't talk with them and clear it up. I hung up. That was about 2 years ago. I haven't been arrested yet.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, aomagrat said:

I got a call from Officer Agent of Special Investigation Force informing me that my SSN had been used illegally and I was to subject to be arrested if I didn't talk with them and clear it up. I hung up. That was about 2 years ago. I haven't been arrested yet.

When they get pushy and say the Sheriff is already on the he way but they can stop him if you give them a credit card number. 

Tell them you are sick of the Sheriff and you are ready to end this. You have a dozen guns and thousands of bullets. Then hang up. 

• Haha 2

I have a buddy who is an apex predator in the world of computing.

The scammer told him he had a problem with his windows computer....within about five minutes the scammer was screaming about the fact my buddy had total control of the scammers PC.

It worked out well.   Don't screw with the nerds.  They will get you.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Historian said:

I have a buddy who is an apex predator in the world of computing.

The scammer told him he had a problem with his windows computer....within about five minutes the scammer was screaming about the fact my buddy had total control of the scammers PC.

It worked out well.   Don't screw with the nerds.  They will get you.

There is a kid in England who shuts down scammer server farms. He has been doing it since he was about 10. The Indian government wants his extradition because he is costing them a fortune in lost revenue. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Batesmotel said:

There is a kid in England who shuts down scammer server farms. He has been doing it since he was about 10. The Indian government wants his extradition because he is costing them a fortune in lost revenue. 

Hmmm that's fantastic.  I'd drop a JDAM on that data center if i could.  Let's see you put that stuff back together.

Well....

'Windows security department' hasn't called me in a long time.   If I had the time, I would keep trying to get them off their script until they hung up on me.

A bigger win was to have them swear at me then hang up.  The best was one guy I had on the phone about an hour and a half - and I got tired of the game.   I told him that I had just retired from 30 + years in IT - some of it security and I wasn't letting him anywhere close to anything 'sensitive' on my machine.

He swore at me and hung up!

Then he called back, swore at me some more and hung up.

Four times!

If I didn't have the time or inclination to mess with the scammer - I would just ask: 'Did your mother keep the dog that fathered you?'

I figured that by wasting their time, I might prevent someone from getting called who would fall for the scam....

Almost all the potential scam calls are robots, now, so there isn't much fun anymore.

• Like 1