I'm going on a diet

gwalchmai

• gwalchmai changed the title to I'm going on a diet

Try juicing. Just replace a meal here and there with fresh juice. Maximum 20% fruit. Minimum 80% vegetable. I’m down 107 pounds from where I was after I got hurt. Injury caused hormonal problems and I gained a lot of weight before the doctor figured out what was wrong. I seriously think juice saved my life. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Batesmotel said:

And just watch portion size. We let food companies and restaurants track us the bigger meals were better. All it did was to Super Size us. 

That's my issue.  After a life-time of eating fast (work related) and portion size issues...i could lose about 40.

• Like 2

If you prefer to pay attention to quality and not count and measure quantities then it doesn't get easier than https://www.simplefit.org/nutrition/

If you prefer to have a wider range of food options and count and measure quantities then that'll work also. I like the Zone for this. It's pretty easy also. 

Intermittent Fasting is the current popular approach. Now that it has been popular for a few years, there are several interesting approaches like alternate day fasting, one meal a day, and others. Some people report great progress with these.

• Like 2

I get uncomfortable about my weight when it goes over 210, I'm 6'2", so I simply quit eating some meals. 

I'm retired and now I eat one meal at dinnertime, but have a Banana (shared with my dog) and Coffee for breakfast. Toast or something innocuous for snacks.  I do eat a bowl of Oatmeal before bed, to ward off my Heartburn (due to stomach surgery after effects).

Eating isn't something I look forward to, it's just a means to stop hunger pangs.  I eat to live, not live to eat.  Fits my sedentary life style, bad knees and joint ailments.

My problem is that I like to eat and have been relatively inactive for the last year due to COVID restrictions and some health issues (excuses!). It's time to impose some self-discipline. Thanks for that link, Brad.

Mrs. G's cooking up some eggplant and pasta for late supper after I help my neighbor fix a leak on his roof as soon as it cools off a little.

• Like 2

Hey, there's also the "No S Diet." Three meals per day. One plate. No seconds. No sweets. No snacking. I've never tried it, but the simplicity sounds pretty cool.

People also initially hear "No S#@% Diet" which makes it funnier.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/25/2021 at 6:44 AM, Batesmotel said:

Try juicing. Just replace a meal here and there with fresh juice. Maximum 20% fruit. Minimum 80% vegetable. I’m down 107 pounds from where I was after I got hurt. Injury caused hormonal problems and I gained a lot of weight before the doctor figured out what was wrong. I seriously think juice saved my life. 

It worked for Barry Bonds.

• Like 2

Still need to gain weight.  Had four mexican-restaurant dinners this week.  And the occasional carrot or cheesecake.  The whole cake. (you can actually eat a whole carrot cake in a couple sittings.  The cheesecake just makes you go "ugh" after about five minutes.)

I was built this way.  Dad was the exact same.