Life's Little Annoyances

Eric

The one that is currently on my mind is dog owners who let their large dogs threaten people in public.

We stand on the same corner waiting for the school bus every morning. There's one guy who drives out of his garage with his GSD in the back seat with the back windows rolled down. He drives right by us, passing probably about 15 ft away. The dog sticks its head and much of its body out the back window and snarls and barks very loudly at us each time. My wife took our daughter to the bus stop yesterday and it did this and really scared her. I make sure I have sufficient weapons to have a chance at least. No way we can let our daughter stand out there alone.

I could understand him forgetting to put his windows up once, but at this point it seems like he gets his jollies out of scaring people with his dog.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brad said:

The one that is currently on my mind is dog owners who let their large dogs threaten people in public.

We stand on the same corner waiting for the school bus every morning. There's one guy who drives out of his garage with his GSD in the back seat with the back windows rolled down. He drives right by us, passing probably about 15 ft away. The dog sticks its head and much of its body out the back window and snarls and barks very loudly at us each time. My wife took our daughter to the bus stop yesterday and it did this and really scared her. I make sure I have sufficient weapons to have a chance at least. No way we can let our daughter stand out there alone.

I could understand him forgetting to put his windows up once, but at this point it seems like he gets his jollies out of scaring people with his dog.

How does this activity differ from brandishing?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

How does this activity differ from brandishing?

No clue. My wife called the police and they said there's nothing they can do because it didn't actually attack anybody. I guess there's no law against being an ahole.

We're probably going to end up using a bus stop that's somewhere else.

• Sad 2

15 hours ago, Eric said:

I prefer larger flies. They make easier targets for my increasely old eyes to track. I am on my third fly swatter of the summer. They don't make the damned things like they used to.

Harbor Freight has bug zappers that look like tennis rackets.  They contain an electronic gas BBQ starter, and can make an arc over a quarter inch long.  Some are much "hotter".

The zapper has three layers of wiring over the racket part.  Two outer and one inner.  The outer and inner wiring is attached to the arc starter, and when you swing it to a bug it fries them to a crisp.

Walking at night in Northern Minnesota, I will swing it in wide arcs in front of me and it's like a 4th of July fireworks show.  They run on two D cell flashlight batteries.

The batteries last a long time, and if you don't hit things with it, mine last for a couple years each.  We have 3 or 4 laying around.

Give them to young kids and they form hunter killer packs and lay waste to the bugs, while you don't have to lift a finger.  At night the sparking and arcing is wonderful entertainment for youngsters.

I think they are around $4 or $5 dollars now.

• Like 4

My neighbor has those stupid vertical blinds installed in her bedroom windows.

When the wind blows it moves the blinds around and obscures the view through my 10x binoculars. 

I almost want to tell her, but I'd probably just get another restraining order for trying to help.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Brad said:

Related to that… Restaurants which are posted against guns but allow customers to bring their big ass dogs onto the premise. Thus specifically includes restaurants in national parks. 

• Like 3

Barking dogs.

People who take pictures and video with their phone in upright portrait mode. Especially the videos where they swing it back and forth to get everything in.

People turning right into a parking lot who come to a virtual stop while still half in the street, to examine the parking lot.

Pretty much anyone driving a Subaru.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

So....one of my data centers...the building UPS batters are two years out of service...and that's we dropped major services for about 30 minutes on Wens.

Because some in facilities asked why we needed the batteries when the building ins on a generator.

I swear I am the Al Bundy of my job.

Ahhh....a fat lady logged on to the network today.

• Haha 2

• Administrators
1 hour ago, crockett said:

I hate Harbor Freight with a passion. Just the cheap ass rubbery smell when you walk in is disgusting. All the tools are the cheapest crap ever, made in China.

Still safer than Harbor Freight jackstands - )

HEAVY DTUY: Chinesium

That is written in Dyslexic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I bought some HF tools years ago, they are perfect for temporary use and on the boat, dropped overboard...Oh well...

I still have a few...these are my "loan out" tools...if they don't come back   No worries...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DAKA said:

I bought some HF tools years ago, they are perfect for temporary use and on the boat, dropped overboard...Oh well...

I still have a few...these are my "loan out" tools...if they don't come back   No worries...

I wouldn't even throw a HF wrench at that dog!

• Like 1

• Administrators
33 minutes ago, crockett said:

I wouldn't even throw a HF wrench at that dog!

So if you threw a HF wrench into the works, would that mean that the works would really be humped, or that they would be unaffected?

16 minutes ago, Eric said:

So if you threw a HF wrench into the works, would that mean that the works would really be humped, or that they would be unaffected?

Lets ask Silentpoet about that. He's expert on everything Florida man. I think his dentist is from Florida too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, crockett said:

People pulling out (onto the street), forcing me to slow down, and then go the speed limit or below.

They get instantly passed with the thunder of an angry, straight-piped V8.

Other side of that - people roaring past, cutting in almost on my bumper, then slowing way down. 

• Like 4

Went to pay for my meal and pulled out a gift card. Cashier said “You’ve got $8.36” or some such amount. Picked up the card and held out my hand got the receipt. Think there was another iteration of “You’ve got $8.36.”

it was finally clear to me that she meant “You owe $8.36.” Why didn’t she say that initially?

Not just this one cashier, either. I’ve had it happen at other restaurants with their gift cards.

Did I miss out on ambiguity 101 when I learned to be a cashier?