I ended moose season almost before it started

19 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

30 minutes into the archery season and I put my bull down. A spike. Was able to get to him with the F250 and winch it into the back......whole, minus the guts. A couple hours later he was hanging, skinned, in my shop. That's 21 with a bow now.

Pics bro. I miss Alaska summer.

• Like 2

Took the head over to F&G yesterday to have the antlers sealed. Any bull taken in an antler restricted hunt must be sealed by F&G within 10 days. We butchered the carcass last night. Steaks, roasts and such are in the freezer. I'm taking the rest in today to be ground into burger with 10% pork fat added. We will have some breakfast sausage, honey bbq sticks, and german sausage made. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

I have other family members still out hunting. I have been expecting a call anytime to show up and help with theirs. We spotted quite a few legal bulls while pre-season scouting. Archery goes through the 29th. Rifle season starts on the 1st. 

Is there also a black powder season?

9 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

“antlers sealed” by F&G…

Please explain. Thanks. 

I hunt an area with antler restrictions. Must be a spike on one side or 50" wide or larger, or have at least 3 brow tines on one side. The medium size bulls are not legal. Either a big boy, or a spike. Most bulls will have a multi tined rack or small paddles the first year. Spikes are usually hard to come by. When you take a bull in an antler restricted hunt you are required to bring the rack in to be inspected and sealed with a metal locking tag by the state. Other species also require sealing such as goats, sheep, bears, and many fur bearers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

I hunt an area with antler restrictions. Must be a spike on one side or 50" wide or larger, or have at least 3 brow tines on one side. The medium size bulls are not legal. Either a big boy, or a spike. Most bulls will have a multi tined rack or small paddles the first year. Spikes are usually hard to come by. When you take a bull in an antler restricted hunt you are required to bring the rack in to be inspected and sealed with a metal locking tag by the state. Other species also require sealing such as goats, sheep, bears, and many fur bearers.

Thanks. 

On 8/22/2021 at 11:40 PM, Walt Longmire said:

30 minutes into the archery season and I put my bull down. A spike. Was able to get to him with the F250 and winch it into the back......whole, minus the guts. A couple hours later he was hanging, skinned, in my shop. That's 21 with a bow now.

Nice work!

Dropped off the meat to be ground into burger today. Adding 10% pork fat. Also making 20 pounds of Honey BBQ sticks. They're like pepper sticks only better. 20 pounds of German Sausage and 20 of Sweet Italian breakfast sausage.

Now that my young bull is butchered, we have room to hang another. Hoping my son and grandson bag one also. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

Dropped off the meat to be ground into burger today. Adding 10% pork fat. Also making 20 pounds of Honey BBQ sticks. They're like pepper sticks only better. 20 pounds of German Sausage and 20 of Sweet Italian breakfast sausage.

Now that my young bull is butchered, we have room to hang another. Hoping my son and grandson bag one also. 

How come ya don't post Pictures dude??

Congratulations Walt. Damn i miss having terriyaki soaked back strap cooked in the toaster oven while drinking beer and sipping whiskey smoking salmon. Have not done that in awhile. Just missed out on the caribou hunt. I had to fill in on the weekend. then they closed the hunt. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hook said:

Congratulations Walt. Damn i miss having terriyaki soaked back strap cooked in the toaster oven while drinking beer and sipping whiskey smoking salmon. Have not done that in awhile. Just missed out on the caribou hunt. I had to fill in on the weekend. then they closed the hunt. 

Yes. The good life. In addition to the recent moose, my freezer has plenty of salmon and halibut. A friend just shared a bunch of prime Whitetail meat with me. Of course he got some moose in return.

• Like 3

A buddy of mine always says "Ya cain't eat the horns, nohow." And he ALWAYS has a full freezer. 

Congrats on #21. Personally, I don't care to be that close to those big ol critters, but my typical deer are the size of a German Shepherd, so...

• Like 1