The New Phonebook's Here!!!

Eric

• Administrators
1 minute ago, crockett said:

I just realized that I didn't get a phonebook / yellow pages in years. Did they finally stop wasting paper?

I'm not sure. I think some people still get them, but I don't know who makes them, at this point. I don't know if I don't miss them because it is easier to find someone online/on the cellphone, or because I just don't go out of my way to talk to anyone on the phone any more, unless I absolutely have to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Eric said:

I'm not sure. I think some people still get them, but I don't know who makes them, at this point. I don't know if I don't miss them because it is easier to find someone online/on the cellphone, or because I just don't go out of my way to talk to anyone on the phone any more, unless I absolutely have to.

Had to pull it up. Yellow pages stopped printing in 2019, not sure about phone books, looks like they are a thing of the past as well. All of the sudden I want them back lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, crockett said:

I just realized that I didn't get a phonebook / yellow pages in years. Did they finally stop wasting paper?

I live in a rural community and receive Yellow Pages - sometimes Real Yellow Pages - maybe once a year. About the thickness of a typical perfect bound magazine. What kind of legal/rights department loses “Yellow Pages” after decades and has to come up with “Real Yellow Pages”?

Maybe this kind?

Watch “SNL 9/18/76 - Lily Tomlin - We’re the Phone Company, We Don’t Care!” on Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/355556831?ref=em-share

41 minutes ago, crockett said:

Had to pull it up. Yellow pages stopped printing in 2019, not sure about phone books, looks like they are a thing of the past as well. All of the sudden I want them back lol

Naw.  Use to piss me off havin to pick em up and carry em to the "Recycle" bin.  Friggin USELESS now days.  Haven't got one thrown in my driveway in years....

Save a Tree bitches...Really.

• Haha 1

I have a very fond college memory of coming home from work late one night to find a young lady attempting to deliver them.  They were heavy...and there was no way she should have done it alone.

Anyway.  I spent the next several hours helping her deliver them.

She offered to pay me.   I told her not to worry about it.   

10 minutes ago, Historian said:

I have a very fond college memory of coming home from work late one night to find a young lady attempting to deliver them.  They were heavy...and there was no way she should have done it alone.

Anyway.  I spent the next several hours helping her deliver them.

She offered to pay me.   I told her not to worry about it.   

Actually, I wish I had saved ALL of them over the years.  I'd never have to buy toilet paper again!!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

Actually, I wish I had saved ALL of them over the years.  I'd never have to buy toilet paper again!!!

Once upon a time rural people had no phones but received Sears catalogs. When my mother took us to visit her rural family she smuggled toilet paper. I quickly learned why. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

There was a tremendous amount of information in them.   Libraries used to have more in depth versions that would allow reverse lookups and other details.

We're going back to when there were card catalogs. 

I had an applied fact finding class in journalism were we learned a boat load about such resources.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Historian said:

There was a tremendous amount of information in them.   Libraries used to have more in depth versions that would allow reverse lookups and other details.

We're going back to when there were card catalogs. 

I had an applied fact finding class in journalism were we learned a boat load about such resources.

Yes there was.  BUT..ya had to take the TIME to "READ".  That is a lost art...that nowdays, only applys to cell phone texts.:(