Question for LEOs

gwalchmai

What would you say to a lady who called the police because she saw a man whom she's never seen before walking down her street wearing a long sleeve hoodie and long pants, with the hoodie covering his face, in 95 degree weather? There have been several cars broken into in the area lately. 

9 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

What would you say to a lady who called the police because she saw a man whom she's never seen before walking down her street wearing a long sleeve hoodie and long pants, with the hoodie covering his face, in 95 degree weather? There have been several cars broken into in the area lately. 

I'm not a cop, but people dress weird. If I didn't see them do anything, I'm not going to get in the way of them getting through their day. My wife wore a hoodie to the concert the other night. It was 95 when we got there.

ETA: think it's crazy as **** to wear heavy clothing like that in midsummer, but look around, you'll see it. Cops have to wear armor in this ****.

• Like 2

Officers pull over people for simple things like window tint that seems to be to dark, which is only one minor reason for a stop. It's not so much about the possible violation but an opportunity for them to do their job by finding out if something more severe is going on. For example if the suspect has outstanding warrants, if he or she is insured, driving under the influence, etc.

The same applies to profiling. It is a very important part in crime prevention and investigation. Without these tools, law enforcement wouldn't be possible.

1. Never seen before walking down her street

2. Wearing a long sleeve hoodie and long pants

3. Hoodie covering face in 95 degree weather

4. There have been several cars broken into in the area lately

That's 4 suspicious facts. Combined they are enough to come out, drive by, make contact, and see what happens IMO.

• Like 2

Here in WA with how they are changing the laws, the officers couldn't do anything even if they wanted to.  Unless they actively witness a crime, the most they can do is show up, see no crime being actively committed (or if one was committed but no witnesses) they then have to leave the area to keep from "intimidating" anyone.

• Like 1

I definitely get calls over silly stuff like that. I'll respond to the area and just observe to the best of my ability. I'm not going to stop someone just for being dressed weird, but if I watch the area for a while, maybe I'll see something more...

• Like 1

I've seen landscapers and lawn maintenance guys hustling in 100* heat,  all bundled with hoodies pulled over and cinched into a peephole.  I was once talking to some of them and they said, something like, your body is 98*; you bundle up in the winter to keep the heat in; you bundle up in the summer to keep the heat out and keep the sun from contacting you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

I've seen landscapers and lawn maintenance guys hustling in 100* heat,  all bundled with hoodies pulled over and cinched into a peephole.  I was once talking to some of them and they said, something like, your body is 98*; you bundle up in the winter to keep the heat in; you bundle up in the summer to keep the heat out and keep the sun from contacting you.

Ya know… that finally adds some logic to the old time pictures of people wearing coats and vests etc in logging camps and ranches. 

6 hours ago, kerbie18 said:

I definitely get calls over silly stuff like that. I'll respond to the area and just observe to the best of my ability. I'm not going to stop someone just for being dressed weird, but if I watch the area for a while, maybe I'll see something more...

Could be something. Could be nothing.  You never know.

It's worth noting.  Never hurts to drive buy and wave the flag.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

Lot of truth to this.   Roofers are the same way.    Besides you want to keep the sun off your skin before you have to start having a doctor remove strange looking things that could be cancer.

7 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

I'm the opposite.  It can be like 30 degrees outside and I will be in shorts.  I been that way ever since I was a kid.  The irony is I hate the cold. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

you bundle up in the winter to keep the heat in; you bundle up in the summer to keep the heat out

That's not how it works and why they wear long pants, long sleeves, and hats. They wear that to prevent skin cancer. You work 8 to 10 hours daily in the sun for 10 plus years and you will have a very high risk of devolving skin cancer.

Adding any layers to your attire will increase body temperature since it is a form of insulation that keep heat inside the body since it is generating heat, and it lowers the cooling effect of perspiration.

White clothing helps lowering the temperature because it absorbs less light than dark or black fabric.