Thinking of Going Minimalist On Number of Forums

Eric

• Administrators

Several people have suggested keeping the number of forums relatively small. It is not something I have ever really considered. Remember, I am the guy who brought you one of the most massive number of forums on a single site (GT). I'm kicking around the idea though and I am warming up to it.

What if we kept the total number of forums limited to just fifteen or twenty and kept it that way? I think it could be accomplished without anything getting lost or not receiving its due coverage. One of the reasons I compartmented GT's content into so many different forums was that back in those days, the software and the servers had problems processing and rendering forum indexes with really large numbers of threads in them. Spreading them out over more forums reduced the load. The servers and the software have gotten better though. Also, there are many things that could be done to attach keywords and filters to threads, so that a lot could be done with how we filter and present the data.

What do you guys think?

• Like 4

I am not sure how much work it takes to add a room and then if you added a room whether you would want to parse threads into it that already existed in other rooms or simply start with anything that was new and leave the old threads at where they started. One of the advantages of a relatively few number of rooms is that when someone new comes here they are probably more likely to find something that keeps them coming back. Another issue as I am sure you have spent far more time pondering than have I, is how fast and how much this will grow. My opinion would be first to do whatever is easier for you, especially if adding more rooms is no more work later than it is now.

Too many subforums, there will be some that get no traffic and threads remain unseen, too few and the specialized threads get buried in joke of the day type threads.

If the search function is decent, that latter problem is less of an issue.

I generally prefer fewer subforums to browse through, just a personal preference.

• Like 3

There used to be a lot of posts that got "You might try posting this in. . ." as the first response.

I don't enjoy forums where there is a room for left handed 1911's and one for Hungarian 7.92 pistols.

R. A. H. "Specilization is for insects"

We do need a Bullet Packing forum because that requires a disclaimer about blowing your face off.

• Like 4

I'm in favor of fewer forums; but would want to limit to the right ones. So, how about a test forum with subforums? People can suggest a new subforum. Give it 60 days. If it doesn't have traffic or activity, then it gets closed.

If it turns out to be a popular and active forum, then promote it out of the test forum group.

• Like 2

Too many subforums, there will be some that get no traffic and threads remain unseen, too few and the specialized threads get buried in joke of the day type threads.

If the search function is decent, that latter problem is less of an issue.

I generally prefer fewer subforums to browse through, just a personal preference.

The best way might be to just do all the subforums that people seem to want, then combine or eliminate the ones that don't have traffic.

It's just code, man.....:rofl:

I like the idea of the following forums in addition to what I have seen:

Religious/Political - keep that stuff out of "The Bored Room". It would be more of a "sineater" forum.

Test Forum - try posting pictures, etc.

Maybe an Introduction forum, though that could be done in The Bored Room.

One of the things that has kept me coming back to GT is the large number of Forums.

When I first started to frequent that site, there was a forum for almost any interest I had.

Now with that said, less forums with fewer restrictions could eliminate the need for as many specialized sections. It would be a balancing act for sure, but done correctly. less could very well be more.

• Like 2

I'm in favor of fewer forums; but would want to limit to the right ones. So, how about a test forum with subforums? People can suggest a new subforum. Give it 60 days. If it doesn't have traffic or activity, then it gets closed.

If it turns out to be a popular and active forum, then promote it out of the test forum group.

I like this.

• Like 1

Fewer is better. Even on GT when users begged for a separate forum it got little use after being established.

Regardless you will get complaints either way you go. So just do what is easiest for you.

Can those rooms be closed down for lack of use? I know we tried to get a medical su forum and that seemed to fizzle out, yet there are plenty of medical threads.

• Like 1

I live in the UK so for me you can just keep it to this one, an airgun forum and a pointy stick forum.

(j/k it's not actually quite that bad)

Y'all are allowed airguns? Not in NJ. How fucked up is that when the U.K. Has more lenient weapon laws than we do?

I live in the UK so for me you can just keep it to this one, an airgun forum and a pointy stick forum.

(j/k it's not actually quite that bad)

Trust me, you don't want to swap laws with us. Airguns are already being controlled in Scotland.

I would think fewer is better.

I mostly go to gunsmithing or tech forums but there isn't usually lots of activity on them.

I spend lots of time reading the Okie Forum on GT. Don't post much but find it entertaining and informative.

Dave

• Like 1