1911 picture thread.

Budqueiser

I like my 1911's as close to USGI configuration as possible.  When I got my first 1911 it was a parts gun with a Remington rand slide and an Ithaca frame. I got so I could shoot it pretty good without any "enhancements" but eventually I put a set of commercial Colt government sights on it which were a huge improvement over the tiny USGI sights. Later I added Wolff springs and an Olympic Arms stainless barrel marked "NM" an then fitted a USGI NM barrel bushing to the frame and barrel.

I've always wanted a delta elite but I like the first ones that were made that had vertical slide serrations and the black wrap-around grips with the Delta medallion. I don't like the newer ones with all the added bells and whistles and forward slide serrations and a light rail on any 1911 are just WRONG in my way of thinking but that's just because I'm pretty much a traditionalist with some exceptions.  I do like Wilson 8 round mags but I prefer them to be black anodized rather than stainless and with the thin cast iron base plates.

1911s.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't like modern 1911's with all the enhancements.  I like USGI 1911's but I don't like the original sights. I like the wider front sight and matching rear notch on the commercial Colt government model made since the 1940's and are still used today.  When I lived in southern California I saw a few really nice nickeled government models in 38 Super with either Ivory or mother of pearl grips. These guns were very popular in Mexico where it as illegal to own a gun in a military caliber, and the Mexican were fond of flashy guns.  In my opinion these are some of the most beautiful 1911's ever made.

38 super_n.jpg

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Besides that, my son has the Springfield OD Green military spec model, and my wife is having her Colt Defender customized to her specifications.  So, three 1911's.  My daughter has had no interest or there would be a fourth.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 1/5/2019 at 4:54 PM, Borg warner said:

I don't like modern 1911's with all the enhancements.  I like USGI 1911's but I don't like the original sights. I like the wider front sight and matching rear notch on the commercial Colt government model made since the 1940's and are still used today.  When I lived in southern California I saw a few really nice nickeled government models in 38 Super with either Ivory or mother of pearl grips. These guns were very popular in Mexico where it as illegal to own a gun in a military caliber, and the Mexican were fond of flashy guns.  In my opinion these are some of the most beautiful 1911's ever made.

38 super_n.jpg

I so totally agree...and I hate flashy guns actually. This is the one and only exception. I'll get one of those (maybe not Colt) myself one day

• Thanks 1

Nothing fancy. Actually the cheapest handguns that I've ever bought. Citadel 1911s - one in 45 and one in 9. Year and a half of regular use. Not a single malfunction. Very accurate with good trigger. I'm not asking for more. $225 each (unfired, pre-owned).

pidf0lB.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Valmet said:

Moshe that thing looks SWEET. 

Specs?

Springfield Armory TRP Operator with night sights, pacmayer grips, and a Wilson Combat compensator.   It shoots so smooth, that when someone shoots it, regular .45 ACP feels snappy.  Virtually no muzzle flip.  It is my favorite when you absolutely want to call your shots.  The light is an X300 and I have a Kydex holster and many, many Wilson combat magazines.  I honestly wish I could find a good drop leg for it.  10 round magazines with one chambered. cocked and locked.  I would like to run with that, and Springfield SOCOM II .308 when I get it dolled up to my specs.  That way I can put the 20 round .308 mags on my vest with more 1911 mags in the taco setup.  Essentially, without raising red flags, a country/urban boogaloo as some people use that word.  For when crap goes bump in the night.  I may not be a spring chicken, but I am always the go bump in the night to check things out guy.  It was a career for 18.5 years,  Now, it is still what a man should do for his family.  It is what my wife expects, and reasonably so.  Unlike the rest of my family, the dark doesn't intimidate me.  I spent 3/4's of my time in uniform, and early morning warrants in the dark.  Maybe I am crazy, but I am just not afraid.  

• Like 3

On 10/25/2019 at 7:28 PM, Moshe said:

Springfield Armory TRP Operator with night sights, pacmayer grips, and a Wilson Combat compensator.   It shoots so smooth, that when someone shoots it, regular .45 ACP feels snappy.  Virtually no muzzle flip.  It is my favorite when you absolutely want to call your shots.

One of the best pistols i've ever shot...ever.    I shot an FBI version once.   It was amazing.

• Like 1