Say a Prayer for Globe/Miami, AZ

Eric

• Administrators

Arizona is burning in several places, including the one that threatened the twin cities of Globe and Miami, AZ, where I was born. Below is a pic taken from my uncle’s back porch there, earlier this evening.

DC1D5126-C20F-4B49-874A-9A4ADEB256F7.thumb.jpeg.9625c28ee83bde2038c3573b56435ab3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

• Administrators

When I lived in Flagstaff, I was awaken one morning by large aircraft flying only a few hundred feet over my roof. A brushfire had kicked up in the night and it was topping some hills about 3/4 of a mile from my house. There were several properties with horses and families at the base of the hills. There were several water bombers dropping on the hills. It is the closest I've ever been to such an operation and I was able to sit on the swing on my front porch and watch it unfold. It was something to behold.

• Thanks 1

That's scary stuff.  The smoke from the California wildfires got so bad in the Santa Clara valley last year that I picked up a couple of air purifiers.  It was probably a futile gesture, but there were a few days where the sky was an eerie purple hue. 

• Like 1

Only wildfire I got really close to was many years ago when crossing the Everglades. Fires on both sides of the road, some being right to the ditch. Those are different fires with the grass and brush smoldering, producing mainly a ton of smoke. Closing the vents and shutting off the heater fan doesn't help much, the nasty smell gets through every crack and sticks around for days.

A fire heading towards your home must be really hard to watch. If your house catches fire, nothing will survive.

• Like 2

• Administrators
32 minutes ago, crockett said:

Only wildfire I got really close to was many years ago when crossing the Everglades. Fires on both sides of the road, some being right to the ditch. Those are different fires with the grass and brush smoldering, producing mainly a ton of smoke. Closing the vents and shutting off the heater fan doesn't help much, the nasty smell gets through every crack and sticks around for days.

A fire heading towards your home must be really hard to watch. If your house catches fire, nothing will survive.

I drove through the smoke of the Rodeo–Chediski Fire a few years ago. The Forest Service guys were obviously on the fence about letting cars drive through and they probably should not have. It was a twenty minute drive through the worst of it and it got a little tense. The smoke was really thick. I put my car's AC on recirc before we started and that helped a little, but we were still all coughing by the time we got through. I don't know how the firefighters do what they do.

I had kin in the path of that fire too. You can't swing a dead cat in the eastern/central highlands of Arizona without hitting someone that I am related to.

• Like 2

Prayers will be sent tonight. The west is in big trouble.

We are in for trouble here in Utah. The fires haven’t been too bad yet but started in February. That is a record beginning to the fire season. Record drought. Record heat. And Bark Beetles shave decimated massive areas of forest leaving it all dead and bone dry. 

Last year was bad but this year could be a perfect storm. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Sending prayers that way.

I have friends and family all over the west. I can't even remember how many of them have lived through fires in the last few years. Many losing their house, cars, everything they owned. Escaping with the clothes on their back.

Lots of guys I worked with have driven through burning forests and blocks of burning homes. They have some really scary stories to tell. 

Words can't describe seeing whole swaths of big cities just burned off the map. 

• Like 2

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, minderasr said:

No, floor covering.

My whole clan moved to Globe/Miami in the fifties, because of the copper mines. I think I am now related to about half of the people there.