My Primer Stash

crockett

• 1 month later...

I signed up for a bunch of in-stock notifications for primers with different vendors about 3 months ago.

I didn't get a single email yet.

The word is, that all primers go into ammo manufacturing these days, but ammo is also out of stock all the time. Not that I need any, I learned from the last shortage.

Gun shops get some ammo here and there, but not a lot. This smells fishy. Did government order everything for the next 3.5 years?

If everything would be sucked up by flippers, we would see much more being offered on GunBroker, and I don't see any hoarders scoring either.

Do you guys find anything locally? Are you even trying?

Edited by crockett
  • Like 1

I have seen primers show up in stores here, they'll put out a dozen boxes, limit 1 per customer, and they are all gone in 1/2 hour or less.

Ammo is a little better, often put out whole pallets here, but it's gone in 24hrs.

Some of the places have marked stuff up really high, not price gouging, but full retail with the tip figured in. I've been getting enough to visit the range from one store that seems to get regular small shipments and they are not marking up at all, best deals you'll find anywhere. Love those guys. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just stopped shooting metallic for the next year and a half. Sad. I didn't have my primers organized as well as I thought. Had lots of LPP and a little over 1k SPP.  

I still have a line on shotshells so I am staying up on my scattergun skills.

On 4/22/2021 at 10:41 PM, crockett said:

image.png.0c5bb9efe4567f470ee6bcb475456783.png

Hoarder. 😂.   I have more LP than SP.   I’ve seen some primers being sold 100 or 200 at a time with prices “only” 3 times normal.  But that’s a start.  I hope they get plentiful again before the midterm virus shuts the country down again.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 21 shooter said:

Hoarder. 😂.   I have more LP than SP.   I’ve seen some primers being sold 100 or 200 at a time with prices “only” 3 times normal.  But that’s a start.  I hope they get plentiful again before the midterm virus shuts the country down again.  

I highly doubt it. If at all, we may see a better situation in 2023, only if the GOP won some control back.

• Like 1

I just read that Vista is “temporarily “ suspending primer orders.  Looks like those CCI and Federal small pistol primers won’t be available anytime soon.

I’ve been told there are plenty of primers available in Canada but it’s illegal to import them.  There seems to be no shortage of shortages.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, 21 shooter said:

I just read that Vista is “temporarily “ suspending primer orders.  Looks like those CCI and Federal small pistol primers won’t be available anytime soon.

I’ve been told there are plenty of primers available in Canada but it’s illegal to import them.  There seems to be no shortage of shortages.

I bet Gov has some form of control mechanisms on ammo production. While a bunch of folks want to hoard, I don't see much ammo coming to the LGS. And all primers go into ammo production these days. I wonder if Gov is stocking up for 4 years straight every time a ******* Dem gets to move into the WH.

1 hour ago, crockett said:

I bet Gov has some form of control mechanisms on ammo production. While a bunch of folks want to hoard, I don't see much ammo coming to the LGS. And all primers go into ammo production these days. I wonder if Gov is stocking up for 4 years straight every time a ******* Dem gets to move into the WH.

I’m sure many here remember .guv buying up all the 40 ammo a few short years ago.    Ammo companies don’t need a crystal ball to see what demand has been and will continue to be.   With the ban on Russian ammo that will simply put more pressure on the market.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

How about fake or decorative primers? Cup but no priming compound or anvil.

I decapped  these from m some 375 H&H rounds that had been used in some movie. 

55275941-8044-4DFA-9343-9AA40E9DAE20.jpeg

Anvils can be reused, with less reliability. Here common primer mixures:

image.png.3464b29ade4dbfd853c00379aea207f0.png

• Please Donate To TBS

Please donate to TBS.
    Your support is needed and it is greatly appreciated.