Burning the stump again

gwalchmai

We're blessed with a surplus of poplar which die and fall in the wind. They burn like paper once they dry out so they're not really suitable to burn in my in-laws' woodstove. I cut and split it for the burn pit to roast weenies and marshmallows, and to burn over stumps. This stump is pretty hearty. I think this is my third fire over it. The last one smoldered for a week, then I piled on more logs and they ignited from the old embers. 

5 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

The best and most cost-effective way I've found is to pay someone to grind them out. About $100 IIRC. I enjoy building bonfires, though, so I do that. Plus I have a metric buttload of wood on the back 40.

Completing a quest is quite satisfying. Conquering a nemesis has something primal to it.

Edited by LostinTexas
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LostinTexas said:

Not sure if joking. That may be the only real way to get the thing going though.

Not sure where to find either compound.

PP you can get at Lowe’s or HD and glycerin at any pharmacy. No, i weren’t kidding.

On 4/16/2021 at 7:17 PM, LostinTexas said:

Completing a quest is quite satisfying. Conquering a nemesis has something primal to it.

One of the scenes in Shane, a western from the early 1950s has Shane and the homesteader he was helping get after a massive stump using axes and shovels. A triumphant moment when they won. 

16 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

One of the scenes in Shane, a western from the early 1950s has Shane and the homesteader he was helping get after a massive stump using axes and shovels. A triumphant moment when they won. 

It sucked for the homesteaders west of the cascades trying to wrestle farmland from woods with old growth trees in the 6-12' diameter.

• Like 1

I've just always called in a "stumper Dude".  Hundred bucks or so. I've stumped out Alot of stuff.  Rented a stumper and did it myself...payed to have someone do it for me.  Just had a guy stump out 2 palmettos I was getting sick of trimming.  If I tried to burn em out...my hood would have gone batshit!!!