DOJ admits there's little evidence to support Jan. 6 sedition charges

pipedreams

"Despite all the outrage and the threats of charging “insurrectionists” with sedition—the act of attempting to overthrow the government—proving them based upon actual facts and evidence seems to be increasingly unlikely. For example, Michael Cantrell reported on America’s Sheriff that:

“Many of the trials for individuals involved in the Capitol riot of January 6th have started and much to the chagrin of liberals everywhere, the charges these folks are facing aren’t quite as serious as we were all led to believe they would be. In fact, the Justice Department has now said that the body of evidence in these cases is not as damaging as it was previously thought to be.”

Further, developing reports indicate that none of the 400 people who have been arrested for their involvement in the riot have been charged with sedition, according to the Post Millennial. The most serious charge that has been brought against a defendant in this incident has been assault. To be clear, there is quite a leap between the charges of assault—and the charges of conspiring to overthrow the government."

https://www.lawofficer.com/doj-quietly-acknowledges-there-was-no-sedition-at-the-us-capitol/

https://thepostmillennial.com/doj-admits-theres-little-evidence-to-support-jan-6-sedition-charges/

"Another man, Ethan Nordean, was accused of sending "encrypted communications" to the Proud Boys, but this, too, was dropped when it turned out that his phone battery died and he was unable to use it. The judge in Nordean's case said there was a "dearth of evidence" and declined to jail him. Prosecutors are trying again, however.

Michael Ferrara, an attorney with Kaplan Hecker & Fink, LLP, who was formerly a federal prosecutor, said that if it becomes clear that prosecutors overreached, engaged in hyperbole, of simply misunderstood social media and text messages, it would be no "small error.""

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

But my parents still believe it was a right wing coup attempt by the evil Trump.  And nothing that comes out now will ever convince them that what they heard first could possibly be wrong.

Sorry.  My parents were democrats too.  I understand.  My parents were "kennedy" democrats..."Camelot"  and all that crap...

• Sad 1