Weird

Eric

• Administrators

I was prepping some 9mm brass tonight, that I bought at an auction and found a bizarre case. It is a fired Blazer brass 9mm case that was produced, sold and fired with no rim machined into the case. I’ve been shooting for decades and this is the first round like this I ever saw. Obviously, the extractor couldn’t grab it. I wonder if it successfully cycled the pistol? I’ve fired quite a few rounds from a Glock 22 with a broken extractor claw and didn’t notice it until I cleaned it that evening, so it is certainly possible.

EF960CCA-9042-4EE0-B5EA-F2F2AEF27659.jpeg

D78F0C16-19C6-49F9-A54C-89A64FF12E7F.jpeg

5F917EEE-AC2E-4DFA-9CD2-C5DBC3B52B1F.jpeg

• Like 3

Are you getting into reloading? :)

Somebody took that out of the manufacturing cycle before it was finished. 9mm is "rimless", meaning that no rim is protruding the case body. There is no working 9mm case without a grove. The extractor wouldn't get a hold on the fired case, hence no cycling, followed by a stovepipe.

Still a nice piece to keep and show around.

Rim (firearms) - Wikiwand

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, crockett said:

Somebody took that out of the manufacturing cycle before it was finished. 9mm is "rimless", meaning that no rim is protruding the case body. There is no working 9mm case without a grove. The extractor wouldn't get a hold on the fired case, hence no cycling, followed by a stovepipe.

I have fired quite a few rounds out of a pistol with a broken extractor. The recoil and the ejector were sufficient for the gun to cycle. Still, how could someone miss that defect when they were loading the mag?

I understand that the 9mm is considered rimless, but the term is a misnomer. There is still a rim on the cartridge. It’s just recessed, flush with the case, or below flush, like the .50 AE.

• Like 1

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, crockett said:

And yes, I do a bit of reloading, although small pistol primers are damned hard to find right now. 

8 minutes ago, Eric said:

I have fired quite a few rounds out of a pistol with a broken extractor. The recoil and the ejector were sufficient for the gun to cycle. Still, how could someone miss that defect when they were loading the mag?

I understand that the 9mm is considered rimless, but the term is a misnomer. There is still a rim on the cartridge. It’s just recessed, flush with the case.

Maybe I'm just used to my (always hot) reloads. The case bulges so much that it will be stuck in the chamber most of the time with a broken extractor. Heck, I get heavy extractor marks on my defense loads. I scrap the cases after one load.

Combined with the oddball projectile you showed earlier I think you got those pieces from a tinkerer. He may have worked in an ammo plant and took some unfinished cases home, and loaded them up for fun.

The turning of the rim comes last with most calibers.

How Cartridge Brass is Made « Daily Bulletin

Edited by crockett
  • Like 1

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, crockett said:

Maybe I'm just used to my (always hot) reloads. The case bulges so much that it will be stuck in the chamber most of the time with a broken extractor. Heck, I get heavy extractor marks on my defense loads. I scrap the cases after one load.

Combined with the oddball projectile you showed earlier I think you got those pieces from a tinkerer. He may have worked in an ammo plant and took some unfinished cases home, and loaded them up for fun.

The turning of the rim comes last with most calibers.

How Cartridge Brass is Made « Daily Bulletin

Yeah, hot loads would tend to push the sides of the case out more. The shape and finish of the firearm’s chamber makes a difference as well. I’ve heard many people who have had Glocks continue to cycle with broken extractors. I think that their chambers are probably more forgiving than most. 

Actually, I got several barrels of fired brass from a medical center police range, in Houston, many months ago. The bullet moulds and stuff was a different thing. The brass was almost all 5.56mm and 9mm. There was a bunch of 5.56 Simunitions cases as well, but they aren’t good for anything, but recycle. Anyway, the brass was all in great shape. I believe it was all once-fired and about 95% of the 5.56 was Lake City brass. It was a good haul.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Eric said:

Yeah, hot loads would tend to push the sides of the case out more. The shape and finish of the firearm’s chamber makes a difference as well. I’ve heard many people who have had Glocks continue to cycle with broken extractors. I think that their chambers are probably more forgiving than most. 

Actually, I got several barrels of fired brass from a medical center police range, in Houston, many months ago. The bullet moulds and stuff was a different thing. The brass was almost all 5.56mm and 9mm. There was a bunch of 5.56 Simunitions cases as well, but they aren’t good for anything, but recycle. Anyway, the brass was all in great shape. I believe it was all once-fired and about 95% of the 5.56 was Lake City brass. It was a good haul.

Having access to a police range is indeed a great source for quality and once fired brass.

I still squirrel away every case I can find when I'm out on my public ranges. Somehow I enjoy sorting through my finds and fixing them up, as long as its not from Tula.

Glocks have a loose chamber aka as being "unsupported", to help with feeding and reliability. That chamber causes the so called Gluck bulge. If you want to reload those properly, you will need a push-through die to remove the bulge. Otherwise the sizing die wile create a recess out of that bulge and that may cause a case separation and even a blown barrel / gun.

This is how my 10mm cases out of a stock Glock barrel look like after resizing, when I don't use a push through die first. 

image.png.265fe0dc3b941ad041135c92ceedc67c.png

Bulge before resizing:

Bulge in 9mm Makarov - CMP Forums

I use Alpha Wolf barrels in all my Glocks. They have a tighter chamber and don't create that nasty bulge.

The barrels also add around 50 FPS in average since less pressure gets lost in a supported chamber.

Edited by crockett

• Administrators

I’ve been present when two Glocks Kaboomed. One was the result of reloads. The other was the result of a bad case of new S&B ammo. After getting the lot number, they admitted fault, replaced the gun and bought the guy a case of ammo of his choice. I’ve got some great pics of the gun in that incident. I’ll look for them tomorrow. The damage was substantial.

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, crockett said:

Having access to a police range is indeed a great source for quality and once fired brass.

I still squirrel away every case I can find when I'm out on my public ranges. Somehow I enjoy sorting through my finds and fixing them up, as long as its not from Tula.

Glocks have a loose chamber aka as being "unsupported", to help with feeding and reliability. That chamber causes the so called Gluck bulge. If you want to reload those properly, you will need a push-through die to remove the bulge. Otherwise the sizing die wile create a recess out of that bulge and that may cause a case separation and even a blown barrel / gun.

This is how my 10mm cases out of a stock Glock barrel look like after resizing, when I don't use a push through die first. 

image.png.265fe0dc3b941ad041135c92ceedc67c.png

Bulge before resizing:

Bulge in 9mm Makarov - CMP Forums

I use Alpha Wolf barrels in all my Glocks. They have a tighter chamber and don't create that nasty bulge.

The barrels also add around 50 FPS in average since less pressure gets lost in a supported chamber.

I don’t think I would trust brass that was resized after a bulge like that. It looks like a good recipe for metal fatigue. 

• Like 2

I was prepping some 9mm brass tonight, that I bought at an auction and found a bizarre case. It is a fired Blazer brass 9mm case that was produced, sold and fired with no rim machined into the case. I’ve been shooting for decades and this is the first round like this I ever saw. Obviously, the extractor couldn’t grab it. I wonder if it successfully cycled the pistol? I’ve fired quite a few rounds from a Glock 22 with a broken extractor claw and didn’t notice it until I cleaned it that evening, so it is certainly possible.

EF960CCA-9042-4EE0-B5EA-F2F2AEF27659.thumb.jpeg.3891e1b02fcf58cf82b13e93cefe5f43.jpeg
D78F0C16-19C6-49F9-A54C-89A64FF12E7F.thumb.jpeg.9fe1c3a0a594d3226a62c8097a433914.jpeg
5F917EEE-AC2E-4DFA-9CD2-C5DBC3B52B1F.thumb.jpeg.4955907418a0a336519f06d1156711e4.jpeg
That's a rare find indeed, designed for use in the Glock 7.

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

• Haha 2

Hmmm. I'd probably trade a thousand SPPs for a barrel of 9 & 5.56 brass. Mostly 9 though cause I don't load much 5.56 and have no SRPs. It'd be a Gift of the Magi trade, since I'd need those primers to load the brass I traded them for. Shipping would be a problem, of course, but since my mailman asked me about reloading supplies the other day, we may could hijack a mail truck for a weekend road trip... 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Eric said:

EF960CCA-9042-4EE0-B5EA-F2F2AEF27659.jpeg

D78F0C16-19C6-49F9-A54C-89A64FF12E7F.jpeg

5F917EEE-AC2E-4DFA-9CD2-C5DBC3B52B1F.jpeg

Save that for the next "Does 9mm headspace on the rim?" argument. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1