Uniquities

Eric

1 hour ago, Lazy R said:

Watched the sky turn black and go fully dark in the middle of the day when St Helens blew.

Shot at and missed a couple times.

Marched in the Bicentennial parade in Philadelphia 1976.

I don't have much!

We lost 2 logging sides in the eruption. All equipment....gone. Two men dead and never found. Lost my next door newlywed neighbors also. Hiked into the blast zone on foot for many miles 3 days after the eruption to look for our men.

• Sad 4

3 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

We lost 2 logging sides in the eruption. All equipment....gone. Two men dead and never found. Lost my next door newlywed neighbors also. Hiked into the blast zone on foot for many miles 3 days after the eruption to look for our men.

I was in about the third or fourth grade when this happened...if i remember right.

It must have been another world there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Cougar_ml said:

about the only thing I can claim is cutting myself on a bowling ball.

Oh, that and sleeping with my boss's daughter.

After he found out about it the daughter got thrown out of the house and I still had a job.

Some time ago, I might have traded some of my accomplishments for some of yours.......

I ran into Bill Clinton once - literally.

Don't remember the exact year, it must have been mid 90's.

He came to Dearborn for something, and I decided to leave work early because of all the freeway closings and traffic issues.

I stopped at a Border's after leaving to pick up a guitar mag, and didn't notice the big limo with the flags on it I guess.  Looking back the guys with the earpieces in dark suits also should have been a clue, but I was oblivious.

So,  I picked up my magazine (thankfully it wasn't Soldier of Fortune), turned around and we smacked arms.

I looked up and he said "how you doing there" and left me there with my mouth hanging open.  He's a big guy.

I've thought over the years how amazing it is that we can get that close to our leaders.  

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Peng said:

He came to Dearborn for something, and I decided to leave work early because of all the freeway closings and traffic issues.

I stopped at a Border's after leaving to pick up a guitar mag, and didn't notice the big limo with the flags on it I guess.  Looking back the guys with the earpieces in dark suits also should have been a clue, but I was oblivious.

So,  I picked up my magazine (thankfully it wasn't Soldier of Fortune), turned around and we smacked arms.

I looked up and he said "how you doing there" and left me there with my mouth hanging open.  He's a big guy.

I've thought over the years how amazing it is that we can get that close to our leaders.  

When you recovered your wits; how many guns were pointed at you ?

:whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, willie-pete said:

My old boss was a high ranker at a PD in another state.  He had a picture in his desk of him shaking hands with Clinton.

He told me because he was in uniform with a gun belt on...there were a multitude of secret service lookin at every inch of him.

It was kinda funny really.  This guy was no one's problem.  He was a true blue American.

• Like 3

I was at a gun show in Anchorage with my youngest son. He was telling me that Pat Buchanan was here. (when he was a candidate for Prez) I asked what do you mean 'here' in Anchorage or at this gun show. Over my shoulder I hear, "I'm right here." It was him. Shook hands and had a fun conversation. Also had tables at Anchorage shows next to W.A.R. Wayne Anthony Ross who has been an NRA officer forever. Interesting person. He has held political positions in Alaska, written books, etc. At one time Jeffery Dahmer was a neighbor of his and he shared some stories about the family. Also had tables next to Norman Vaughn, the oldest guy to run the Iditarod, author of several books such as "My Life of Adventure" and At the Top of the World, with Admiral Bird." Got signed copies from him. Norman passed away a few years ago.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, willie-pete said:

None that I could see.  I can't believe how unaware I was of my surroundings.  I guess my brain was elsewhere. 

15 hours ago, Peng said:

I have talked to several people who knew Bill Clinton when he was governor in AR. I'm in the lumber business and these are mill guys down there. They said he is one smooth operator, and when he meets a room full of people he remembers every single name. I think he's a total crook but the dude is highly intelligent and a real charmer.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lazy R said:

I have talked to several people who knew Bill Clinton when he was governor in AR. I'm in the lumber business and these are mill guys down there. They said he is one smooth operator, and when he meets a room full of people he remembers every single name. I think he's a total crook but the dude is highly intelligent and a real charmer.

According to some, if Hillary had let Bill take the lead in her campaign she would have been president rather than Trump. 

• Administrators
1 minute ago, TBO said:

I commanded a main battle tank down the streets of the town I graduated from.

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

I once knocked down a tree with an M113 armored personnel carrier. I hit it hard enough that I dented the front of the APC. I did a lot of push-ups because of that.

• Like 2

I was there when the Berlin Wall fell. We couldn’t call ourselves photojournalists but as “Documentary Photographers” the East European governments gave us unprecedented access to photograph. 

Local Berliners on both sides were renting sledge hammers at Brandenburg Gate. I went Medieval on that damn wall.

BTW. People who bought pieces of the wall by mail order were probably buying pieces of East Berlin driveways. They were painting them, breaking them up and selling the pieces mail order with help from relatives in West Berlin. 

image.jpg

• Like 2

I once knocked down a tree with an M113 armored personnel carrier. I hit it hard enough that I dented the front of the APC. I did a lot of push-ups because of that.

Nice!

This reminded me of something I don't believe I've thought of in the better part of 20+ yrs.

I was beyond green & wet behind the ears when I was with a senior (to me) squad on a recon in a wooded area in a 113.

Lost and roaming we came across an obviously long ago abandoned and dilapidated garage.

What to do? Why button up and run through it of course.

Wish I had an exterior video of that.

Other feats... while driving unbuttoned, jumped a tank into a pond sized "puddle" (enough of a jump/drop) the water/mud and pressure of the "wave" coming up the front armored hull slope pinned my head back and filled my nose passages with mud. Fortunately I had my goggles on and they held.

Later in the day my mud caked BDU's dried and I created a cloud of dust every time I moved.

I was packed up in a Hummer and send to a shower point. I showered in uniform to wash as much of the clay like mud off/out as I could.

The days of youth...

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 4/4/2021 at 7:22 PM, willie-pete said:

My only claim to fame is that I once had a job cutting ring gears that went in Huey helicopters.

I had a summer job helping to manufacture camshaft bearings.  I operated a punch press and later, a center less grinder.  Most of the people working there had no idea what the product was used for.  Installing the babbit coating was the real money maker job.

On another summer job, I spent a summer cleaning up after a fire in a NiCad battery factory.  Sometimes you'd sweep a bunch of crap into a pile and it would burst into flames.  We weren't allowed to try and extinguish it for fear that adding something else to the mix would make things much, much worse.

Once while being towed by a strap while in a derelict car, the hood started to blow off.  There were two of us and we hung out of the windows to hold the hood on.  Fortunately, I was the passenger, so I didn't have to steer at the same time.  But, it did take a while for the tow car to realize that we were having problems.

I wrote five novels: http://chronosscifi.com/

I've bicycled well over 100,000 miles.

I've had somewhere in the neighborhood of 4,600 hours of Aikido training.

My hips are made out of titanium.  Brain by Mattel. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, minervadoe said:

I had a summer job helping to manufacture camshaft bearings.  I operated a punch press and later, a center less grinder.  Most of the people working there had no idea what the product was used for.  Installing the babbit coating was the real money maker job.

On another summer job, I spent a summer cleaning up after a fire in a NiCad battery factory.  Sometimes you'd sweep a bunch of crap into a pile and it would burst into flames.  We weren't allowed to try and extinguish it for fear that adding something else to the mix would make things much, much worse.

Once while being towed by a strap while in a derelict car, the hood started to blow off.  There were two of us and we hung out of the windows to hold the hood on.  Fortunately, I was the passenger, so I didn't have to steer at the same time.  But, it did take a while for the tow car to realize that we were having problems.

I wrote five novels: http://chronosscifi.com/

I've bicycled well over 100,000 miles.

I've had somewhere in the neighborhood of 4,600 hours of Aikido training.

My hips are made out of titanium.  Brain by Mattel. 

Is the novel series all through and all done?

i once helped my friend put a tranny in a 76 dodge i do believe it was had the old 318 in it. He had it rebuilt it was -20 we parachuted the truck and had a space heater running. Broke off one if the ears were the bolt ran through and thought we were f'd . So we took the trannhy back out he put iti in his living room and the next day we jb welded that bastard and we put it in two nights later at now -35 and i'll be damned if that damn tranny didnt last for many years until he sold it. jb weld is some awesome stuff. Got my little ass beat when i was about 13 maybe trying to help a girl getting beat up by her crazy boyfriend he was like mid 20's I tried she got away but i took the beating but it helped her. eff him i got a kiss on the cheek from a 20 year old cutie so eff him. Never seen her again. 

• Like 2

On 4/4/2021 at 8:58 PM, holyjohnson said:

i Flirted with Sophia Loren and she Flirted back.

Bought her a Drink, shared some time and made her smile.

i never had a chance, but she was a Classy Lady and let me down like one.

I would have lost my mind. Quietly.

• Like 1