Uniquities

Eric

I've climbed...or rather ass hopped the Great Pyramid in Egypt all the way  to the top...on the outside...took pictures from the top.  

Also, almost got hit by a Scud...Missed us by quarter a mile...Picked up pieces the next day...gold plated em, made em into charms, and passed em around to friends.  I've done a lot of "Humanitarian" type siht...but I don't share that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, tadbart said:

You guys have done some stuff!

I wrote a foreword for a friiend's book. Seen my favorite band 34 times in concert. Nothing else really unique.

I think my high school friend of 50 odd years...has been to about EVERY Jimmy Buffet concert...since like...FOREVER!!!  But...34 Times???  What's your favorite band?

• Like 4

• Administrators

I was in the movie Gardens of Stone, or rather my company and in one scene, my entire battalion, were the Old Guard soldiers throughout the movie. A handful of my buddies had closeup scenes, or actually had lines, but most of us were the window dressing. It was cool to be a part of it.

Gardens of Stone was a novel about The Old Guard, written by a guy named Nicholas Proffitt, who was in Delta Company (my company), The Old Guard in the sixties. He spent a day with us early on in the project and he was a great guy. It was really interesting hearing his stories about what TOG was like in the sixties. He also wrote a Vietnam book called Embassy House, which I enjoyed.

We also got to meet Francis Ford Coppola and the actors. The only actor that gave us the time of day though was James Earl Jones. There was a kind of meet-and-greet party and Jones actually hung out with us. He also beat the best beer chugger in my company hands down. That guy could drink the hell out of a beer.

Coppola’s son was killed a couple of months into the filming. He was on the Potomac with the guy who was originally the lead actor in the movie. The actor was driving the boat and he went between two boats with a tow line between him. The line caught Coppola’s son in the head and swept him off the boat. They replaced that actor ( I can’t remember who it was) with James Caan and quite a bit of the movie had to be shot again.

I was new to the unit and was a complete nobody, but it was very cool being a part of something like that, to the extent that I was. Coppola gave everyone involved in the movie, including everyone in Delta Company, a bottle of wine from his vineyard after everything wrapped up. The bottle had a letter of appreciation printed on the label. My entire platoon had a party a month or so later and every one of us, with only a couple of exceptions, opened their bottle and we all got drunk. I wish I had kept my bottle. Oh well.

FCCF5D07-41D2-4DEF-9980-9A40AD6C4361.jpeg.4ad8403b67de55abd03e60ff88a55e03.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eric said:

I would love to see a bug motor try to turn those and VW brakes try to stop them. :anim_lol:

Not to mention try to take a sharp turn. 

I bet those tires limit the turning radius to about 10 degrees.

• Like 2

I willingly drank radioactive poison twice, which coupled with surgery has kept me ahead of cancer for nearly 30 years.

Aside from EMS stuff, I saved two kids from drowning, one in a pond, one in a river.  I have performed the Heimlich thrice, twice in restaurants, and once to expel a broccoli floret out of my grandfather's gullet.

At one point, only a small number of people on the planet had more jumps/freefall time than I did.  I only know one other guy that was nearly greased by a United 757 in freefall (it was really close, and yeah the pilots saw us), a few more of us that were almost rolled over by a stalled CASA, and a few more that were almost rolled over by a stalled C-130, which was really scary because it was a longer lasting event than the first two just mentioned.

I've been mauled by a dog as a kid, hit over the head with a bottle, shot, stabbed, cut with a chainsaw, kicked and stomped by large animals, and had explosives go boom much too close for my desire, and survived a high speed impact with planet Earth.

I witnessed several kids get shot in the back running from the Policia Federal in Brazil.

Probably the most amazing thing was looking both ways down a highly traveled urban street, seeing my gap to cross the busy two lane street, and being pushed back by what seemed like a warm glass wall.  And, before I could think WTF, a mass transit bus went whizzing by my nose by about 3 inches.  I don't know where the blank it came from, but I was not meant to be made into goo that day by that bus.

ETA: I'm sitting here typing with an elevated leg with an icepack and an ankle as large as a pomelo.  Bad wave took me down.

Edited by Al Czervik
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I had my voice on a tv commercial (spiro-graph) when I was 6 or 7.  The commercial was made in England, and they wanted an American accent for the American market.  I saw it on TV.  Once.

It was a nice chunk of money for a six year old.  My parents doled it out slowly (I think they also got new living-room furniture).  I distinctly remember buying a flexible-flyer with the last of it.

• Like 2

I got to sing for Leonard Bernstein when he came to a performance by the Cleveland Orchestra at Severance Hall.  (I was in the Cleveland Orchestra Children's Chorus).  We were premiering a new piece of his, which I cannot for the life of me remember the name - I still have the program from it in a box somewhere.

• Like 5

Survived.... A tsunami that went all the way around the house I was in when I was 4.  Pulled from under water in the Columbia River when I was 2. (not by Huaco) Been is some very large earthquakes. Surrounded by forest fire....twice. Mt St Helens. One Hurricane. Charged by bears. I killed 'em. Logging accidents. Dirt bike and car wrecks. Shot at and thankfully missed. It's been fun. 

Edited by Walt Longmire
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

I had my voice on a tv commercial (spiro-graph) when I was 6 or 7.  The commercial was made in England, and they wanted an American accent for the American market.  I saw it on TV.  Once.

It was a nice chunk of money for a six year old.  My parents doled it out slowly (I think they also got new living-room furniture).  I distinctly remember buying a flexible-flyer with the last of it.

My unit was in a Boy Scouts/United Way commercial filmed at the Jefferson Memorial, in 1986. My platoon was in a segment on the 20/20 TV show in 1987. We got filmed sitting around on the ground eating MREs. We found out later that it was the background video for a story on malfeasance at the factory that made MREs, which had caused botulism in quite a few troops.

After I got out of the Army, I lived in San Antonio and passed that same MRE factory complex every day, on my way to computer school. Small world.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

I think my high school friend of 50 odd years...has been to about EVERY Jimmy Buffet concert...since like...FOREVER!!!  But...34 Times???  What's your favorite band?

Collective Soul. Post-grunge 90's rock. Genuinely nice guys. Facebook friends with a couple of em. Two of the guys, I'd call acquaintances.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

Survived.... A tsunami that went all the way around the house I was in when I was 4.  Pulled from under water in the Columbia River when I was 2. (not by Huaco) Been is some very large earthquakes. Surrounded by forest fire....twice. Mt St Helens. One Hurricane. Charged by bears. I killed 'em. Logging accidents. Dirt bike and car wrecks. Shot at and thankfully missed. It's been fun. 

Shot at and missed, **** at and hit. If your nickname ain't Lucky... Cheers, Sir.

• Like 1

• Administrators

In 1987, I saw The Ramones in concert in DC, in a well known Georgetown nightclub called The Bayou. A buddy of mine was a part-time bouncer there and he got us great seats. He also introduced us to the band, after the concert. The lead singer bummed a couple of cigarettes off of me, while we talked. It was cool. They were just regular people.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Al Czervik said:

I willingly drank radioactive poison twice, which coupled with surgery has kept me ahead of cancer for nearly 30 years.

Aside from EMS stuff, I saved two kids from drowning, one in a pond, one in a river.  I have performed the Heimlich thrice, twice in restaurants, and once to expel a broccoli floret out of my grandfather's gullet.

At one point, only a small number of people on the planet had more jumps/freefall time than I did.  I only know one other guy that was nearly greased by a United 757 in freefall (it was really close, and yeah the pilots saw us), a few more of us that were almost rolled over by a stalled CASA, and a few more that were almost rolled over by a stalled C-130, which was really scary because it was a longer lasting event than the first two just mentioned.

I've been mauled by a dog as a kid, hit over the head with a bottle, shot, stabbed, cut with a chainsaw, kicked and stomped by large animals, and had explosives go boom much too close for my desire, and survived a high speed impact with planet Earth.

I witnessed several kids get shot in the back running from the Policia Federal in Brazil.

Probably the most amazing thing was looking both ways down a highly traveled urban street, seeing my gap to cross the busy two lane street, and being pushed back by what seemed like a warm glass wall.  And, before I could think WTF, a mass transit bus went whizzing by my nose by about 3 inches.  I don't know where the blank it came from, but I was not meant to be made into goo that day by that bus.

ETA: I'm sitting here typing with an elevated leg with an icepack and an ankle as large as a pomelo.  Bad wave to me down.

God bless ya man.  I personally won't go that deep.  The siht I've seen and done,... as a lineman, over 45 years..."Stories"...Emt/Lineman stuff.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eric said:

In 1987, I saw The Ramones in concert in DC, in a well known Georgetown nightclub called The Bayou. A buddy of mine was a part-time bouncer there and he got us great seats. He also introduced us to the band, after the concert. The lead singer bummed a couple of cigarettes off of me, while we talked. It was cool. They were just regular people.

Nice! That's rock history!  A friend saw U2 in a bar in DC before they were anything.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Eric said:

Technically, he was almost drowning. :biggrin:

I argued that point on a test...and it was removed from the state law enforcement exam because I was right.

"When do you perform CPR on a near drowning victim?"

Well.  You don't.  They haven't drown.

Almost got my state to understand that the vehicle accident report is wrongly named. I should be collision report as an accident technically occurs when a moving vehicle hits a non-moving object.

• Like 4

When I was 21, I worked at a factory making military things. Was boning the daughter of a senior engineer and department head, my great grandboss or whatnot. Then one day he asked us line guys how to fix this little problem, and my solution got integrated into the process soon after. Millions suffered as a result. Lives, dollars, hell if I know.

39 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

I have killed 20 moose with archery equipment.

That is really awesome sir.  Seriously.  My Grand Father was a member of the "Bigest Bchucks in Maine Club".  Still got his patch I think.  But...20 Moose...fcuking WOW.  Really.

• Like 3