Uniquities

Eric

• Administrators

What is something(some things) that you have done in your life, that you believe few others have done?

I’ll get the ball rolling.

I once pulled a VW bus about twenty miles, with my VF1000F Interceptor motorcycle. I attached a canvas strap from the handholds on the back of the bike, to the bus’s bumper.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

• Administrators

I once had lunch in the same Army mess hall as Ronald Reagan, when he was President. He was maybe forty feet from me, but on the other side of a partition that divided the two halves of the mess hall. Still, it was exciting. 

• Like 6

Saved some (presumably Jewish) kid from a severe beating from some skinheads. July 2000, I was 18 and in Paris with two friends drunk as a monkey and we were headed back to our hotel one night. Came across this kid who was being assaulted by some skinheads and we intervened. I’m a larger dude and we were all wearing English football jerseys (we’d come from London the previous day) and obviously intoxicated. These skinheads assumed we were football hooligans and wanted no parts of us and promptly fled. Feels kinda good in retrospect. 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Eric said:

What is something(some things) that you have done in your life, that you believe few others have done?

I once pulled a VW bus about twenty miles, with my VF1000F Interceptor motorcycle. I attached a canvas strap from the handholds on the back of the bike, to the bus’s bumper.

Was someone in the VW steering and braking? I can’t imagine how you could do it otherwise. 

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Was someone in the VW steering and braking? I can’t imagine how you could do it otherwise. 

Yeah. He did a pretty good job of it. Being the driver of a car being towed with a strap isn’t a casual skill set. They are responsible for keeping the tow strap taut  and to set the pace for braking. Someone who is bad at it can be dangerous. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Eric said:

Yeah. He did a pretty good job of it. Being the driver of a car being towed with a strap isn’t a casual skill set. They are responsible for keeping the tow strap taut  and to set the pace for braking. Someone who is bad at it can be dangerous. 

When I’ve been involved with towing we worked it that way. Regardless of the role the two must communicate well. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Historian said:

I have been through 18 hurricanes.   

I once drove along the sea wall on the southern beach of Galveston while waves broke over the top and into the side of our car. That wasn’t a smart place to be, but I was young and still immortal back then. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Eric said:

I once drove along the sea wall on the southern beach of Galveston while waves broke over the top and into the side of our car. That wasn’t a smart place to be, but I was young and still immortal back then. 

That's how cars disappear into the water. :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eric said:

Was it, by chance, a chartreuse mini-bus?  There could be a song about this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, Historian said:

Was it, by chance, a chartreuse mini-bus?  There could be a song about this.

It was an antique white with a subtle blue pearl in the clear. I painted it. It was beautiful. It was just a PITA to keep ruining. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric said:

Wasn’t this one from another thread, was it?

BA0E63CB-C10C-4368-91CB-69AFA31E909E.jpeg

• Like 2

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

I saved a baby from drowning in a river,  when I was ~10 years old.

I got some "atta-boy"s,  and that was it.

What was the baby doing in the river? 

Went / fell in.  It was a small toddler.

All the campers were hanging around the deep swimming hole,  when momma started SCREAMING!!!.  (I don't think I'll forget that scream.)

We were on the old train-bridge trestle,  jumping.  I turned in time to see several teenagers dive in.  But from the bridge,  I could see into the water.  The teenagers weren't even close.  I jumped in. (Mom taught swimming)

It was in 3' or 4' of water,  3' or 4' from the shore.

Snatched it,  held it up,  everyone grabbed it,  then they all immediately took off.

Happened very fast.

• Like 2

• Administrators

I took part in the televised Memorial show that was aired the summer after the Challenger exploded. I was holding one of the state & territorial flags that lined the ceremony. 

• Like 1

I had an evening of drinks with a MLB player who owns 2 World Series Rings.

He hit a grand slam in his 1st world series (the 1st player to do so in 17 yrs at the time). In his 2nd world series he scored the winning run.

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

• Like 4

I was Division Artillery NCO of the year.....with three days time in grade. (SGM said he may make me an Acting Jack if my orders didn’t come through by the competition)
Came in third (out of eight) for Division NCO of the Year with three weeks time in grade.

Edited by Dric902
  • Like 3