I need an INTERPRETER.

35 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

This pennant, flag was in my dad's belongings. I have no idea how long he had it. Never saw it before. No idea where he came by it. My grandson at first thought it was Russian, then said maybe Latin. It's over 6 feet long and looks hand made to me.DSCN4096.thumb.JPG.c37c680ba07914dd5a3d6e4fca3f8144.JPG

By the Hammer and Sickle I'd sure say Communist something.  Hopefully someone will be able to help.  I'd like to know also.

Checking with a friend on this. I took a pic and sent it. I am intrigued.......

Answer I got was: To the crowd for the cause. Lenin Stalin in the middle. Not certain on last. Interesting though. 

Edited by Slotback
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It’s the Soviet Young Pioneers flag. Not sure about how old it is. Certainly not older than WW2. On the left it says Lenin, on the right it says Stalin (form suggests “for Lenin and Stalin”), central and lower messaging - be ready or be prepared, upper part says - to fight for the cause. If it’s a WW2 flag it may be worth some money. Hope it helps. Cheers!

Edited by Nestor
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

Thanks. We have absolutely no idea how it came to be in my dad's possession. The only thing we can come up with is that he might have bought it at a garage sale. He couldn't pass a garage sale without stopping.

Life father, like son. 

• Like 1

Perhaps an immigrant from the Soviet Union brought that flag with him and sold it later. It wasn’t readily available to the non members. Hand made for sure. They used to have the factories making the flags like that, because it was huge business during the Soviet era. There was no food, but the flags were everywhere (often getting stolen and used to create a clothing at home or trade for something useful). 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

That's Russian (Cyrillic) print.  The flag is cursive.

I guess, but I still don't see the letters matching.  Just like english cursive and print you can still tell the similarity. I also noticed that the russian alphabet has many Greek letters in it.

55 minutes ago, Ramjet38 said:

I guess, but I still don't see the letters matching.  Just like english cursive and print you can still tell the similarity. I also noticed that the russian alphabet has many Greek letters in it.

This might help you see it...  https://www.lingualift.com/blog/russian-cursive-writing-practice-sheet/

but this one will make you crazy... https://www.boredpanda.com/russian-cursive/

and if you just want the "basic version"... https://www.boredpanda.com/russian-cursive/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I could show you examples of english cursive that are unreadable, by me anyway. I'll take them over when I visit my mom. She puts on her glasses and reads them without any difficulty. I've gotten a little better over the years, you have to look for a pattern to what they are writing about and then infer what the words are. Once you get familiar with the persons writing you can figure out what they wrote.

• Like 3

If it was made closer to WW2 the cursive lettering would be a bit difficult to read, especially for a non native speaker. I am not fluent in Russian any longer, but I sure can remember that the rules of hand writing back in the day (in Polish) would make the letters a bit difficult to read for the present day person. I am assuming it was similar in Russian, so I didn’t even try to translate a letter for letter, but rather to grasp the meaning of the sentence. Cheers.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ramjet38 said:

They accepted Christianity from the Byzantine Empire where the official language was medieval Greek. 

• Thanks 2