Ring Door Bell

Swampfox762

not yet in this house, had one in the last but since i don`t have a Smart Phone it was really just for the Wife.

this house needs a full security Upgrade, Lights, Surveillance, Alarm, and Motion Detection, what it has works but Upgrades will be better.

the Entry points are hardened but the Kill Box isn't Ranged out yet.

The Wife liked the Ring a lot and the MIL loved hers.

• Thanks 1

We have had one since not long after they hit the market.

My wife works from home and I am on the road a lot, so it is very comforting to know that

A: The Ring door bell,  alerts my wife and can provide a visual when someone pulls into the driveway.

B: She has her Ruger 9mm at her desk in case what she sees is not good.

We liked it enough that we bought one for my daughter. It paid off pretty quickly when she was at work and the Ring alerted her of activity at her front door. She got out her phone and saw someone trying to pry her front door open. She told him through the ring that the Cops had been called, He looked directly at the Ring camera and gave the cops a really good image to use before he ran like hell!

Some will say that there are better systems out there, and I have no doubt that there are, but the Ring has been more than adequate for our needs

• Thanks 1

Had one. Didn't work.

Let me explain that. It didn't work for the long brick walls that surround our front entry. It would eventually catch someone at the door, about the time they turned around to walk away, and the internet needs were way out of our reach at the time. 2Mb upload is their suggestion, and we couldn't get that for the longest time. It would have been nice for them to put that out in the item description, since that is rather lofty for a lot of services, especially at the time.

Even when we blow that number out of the water, it just couldn't overcome the amount of brick. Ring was very helpful, supportive, and the one lady that didn't irritate me in the fist ten seconds (an American) was more than a pleasant experience. She worked with me for about an hour, offered to refund my purchase, and sent out a wedge kit to see if it helped. If I would have paid their price for that wedge kit, I think I would have been irritated more than the situation was. Good CS after the fourth call and getting someone who english was their first language. My accent is enough to deal with over a phone conversation, many times. She even called back about a week later to see if the kit had done anything for us. She said she would, but I believed it like every other rep that promised a return call.

We went with a Eufy. No contract, and you HAVE to have one with Ring, in house recording, and the thing works better than the Ring ever did for us. Summer will tell the end story as those brick walls face the evening sun. Much faster response times for a doorbell.

The kids have two doorbells and a camera from Ring on their house and are very content with them. Their build is more conducive to the heat detection of the bell.

Good luck with it, and if you end up having trouble, call till you get a rep that is interested in getting it solved.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

How are they powered?

Right now all I have is one of those wireless setups where the chime plugs into an outlet and the button (transmitter) is battery powered. But the battery dies all the time. 

Powered with the two wires attached to the Door Bell ringer at the front door.  9volt AC.  Bought it off amazon, but it was sold by Ring.   60 bucks I think. The hardest part was settin up the Phone App.  Had to call in the Foreman for that project.  (Mrs. Swamp).  I did my Lineman, "Install" and connect bit. :greensupergrin:

Truly amazed how good the video is.  AND, the Fisheye lens is really Great in the real close quarters of my entrance way.  I'm 6'4'' and standin 3 foot from it I was pretty sure it was gonna cut my head off.  Nope.  Had a good 2 inches over my head in the Video.  As for the "monthly" charge for "Cloud Storage" of the Vids...It's only 3 bucks a month, but it comes with a 30 day free trial so, we'll see how that goes after a month.  Really pleased with it so far.  As Texas said...ya do need good internet speed for it to really work to it's potential.  Thought i was gonna need the "Wedges" like Texas, but didn't need em.  

37 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

Powered with the two wires attached to the Door Bell ringer at the front door.  9volt AC.  Bought it off amazon, but it was sold by Ring.

Thanks. I have some wires still in the wall but they are leftover from an old doorbell/intercom system. Not hooked to any power. I’d just need to put in a compatible transformer. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

Thanks. I have some wires still in the wall but they are leftover from an old doorbell/intercom system. Not hooked to any power. I’d just need to put in a compatible transformer. 

That or they can be removed and charged. It takes a couple of hours and the battery lasts 6? months depending on use. Not shabby.

Our original doorbell transformer worked great with the Ring. Kept it charged. Eufy? Not so much. Ho Lee Crap did that thing get hot. I ordered a new transformer, and need to get the neighbor over to install it. I think I can bribe him with some BBQ bird or a pie when I can catch him not up to his arms reach over his head in his own home projects.

Edited by LostinTexas
  • Thanks 1