On this day in 1836

Sparks

15 minutes ago, tadbart said:

I've not been to Pearl Harbor yet, but I can say for certain the there was a profound sense of solemnity standing in front of the Alamo. One hell of an experience.

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.” ~Davy Crockett

Been both places. Correct about both. Sobering 

5 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Been both places. Correct about both. Sobering 

No hats, cameras, or horseplay. If you forget that you're on hallowed ground, Just about anybody will be glad to remind you. I look forward to paying my respects again to the Alamo, and some day to the Arizona.

11 minutes ago, tadbart said:

No hats, cameras, or horseplay. If you forget that you're on hallowed ground, Just about anybody will be glad to remind you. I look forward to paying my respects again to the Alamo, and some day to the Arizona.

The Arizona soured my mood for a couple of weeks.  It's a tomb, and I felt the reverence that I feel in a Church.  I wish I could say the same for my fellow tourists: cameras, hats and horseplay all the way. 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, minervadoe said:

The Arizona soured my mood for a couple of weeks.  It's a tomb, and I felt the reverence that I feel in a Church.  I wish I could say the same for my fellow tourists: cameras, hats and horseplay all the way. 

Some places, just deserve to be felt in the moment, and remembered as such. I don't need a picture of a tomb. 

Don't get me wrong- I love my scenic places and landmarks, and took allllll the pics at the Gateway Arch, and at the dozens of National Parks I've visited. If I ever got to Italy, I'd take stupid pics next to the Tower of Pisa, and if i were to go to France, I'd find the perfect place to take a phallic backdrop with the Eiffel Tower. But some places, you just don't do that.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tadbart said:

Some places, just deserve to be felt in the moment, and remembered as such. I don't need a picture of a tomb. 

Don't get me wrong- I love my scenic places and landmarks, and took allllll the pics at the Gateway Arch, and at the dozens of National Parks I've visited. If I ever got to Italy, I'd take stupid pics next to the Tower of Pisa, and if i were to go to France, I'd find the perfect place to take a phallic backdrop with the Eiffel Tower. But some places, you just don't do that.

Yup.  I left the camera at home and bought some postcards.  :dunno:R.I.P. all those ambushed souls.