The snowpocalypse/snowmagedon

Sparks

52 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

We may gripe the whole time, but giving up isn't something that happens here. I saw this on a friends time line and copied it. All our neighbors have checked in with each other the past few days. We are all good on our little cul-de-sac.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.  I know.  I read the news.

"Save us gub'mint!  Save us!"

And no one has died from covid all week.  All froze to death.

• Haha 1

Another thing that has not just been swept under the carpet,  but the floor has been sanded and refinished,  is that there used to be many, many more coal powered "peaking plants".  They were smaller, older power plants that just sat around,  doing much of nothing,  until extreme demand came along,  and then they'd all fire-up and chug-along.  Emergency power-on-demand.

Obama didn't specifically force their closures,  but his regulations made them impossible to operate.  And he did the same to the coal industry.  Plant owners just padlocked the gates and walked away.

14 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

Seeing people lined up to get propane tanks filled had me shaking my head. Do you only have one tank? And why is it empty? A Coleman lantern puts out a lot of heat and can be run on unleaded gas. Kerosene lanterns put out heat and light and can be run on diesel. You can flush the toilet by dumping water in it. Take a leak outside. Dig a latrine for the turds. I swear people are stoopid. 

For a while after moving into our new house, I used a Coleman Lantern to heat when I had to work on the car in the garage.  It did surprisingly well.  IIRC  I believe It produced     3,000 to 5,000 BTU's.

Things went very well for us. A few rolling blackouts on Monday and Tuesday... some internet and text message capability issues... but our water source never failed, pipes held up, and plenty of food on hand; however, a hard assessment of our preparations shows a few holes. Most can be easily fixed. We need more bottled water on hand. We need a duel-fuel powered Coleman camp stove. We need back-up batteries for our CPAP machines. Need to talk with (convince) the wife about spending about $2k on a couple of smaller Honda generators. Need to remember to fill both cars with gas before the storm hits.

One thing really helped: we have a gas log fire place, and we used that baby every day. Gas stove also gave us cooking capability.

I have a 2WD pickup, which did fine in low gear on the roads.

Now if I could find 2,000 rounds of 9mm FMJ... ? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TXUSMC said:

Things went very well for us. A few rolling blackouts on Monday and Tuesday... some internet and text message capability issues... but our water source never failed, pipes held up, and plenty of food on hand; however, a hard assessment of our preparations shows a few holes. Most can be easily fixed. We need more bottled water on hand. We need a duel-fuel powered Coleman camp stove. We need back-up batteries for our CPAP machines. Need to talk with (convince) the wife about spending about $2k on a couple of smaller Honda generators. Need to remember to fill both cars with gas before the storm hits.

One thing really helped: we have a gas log fire place, and we used that baby every day. Gas stove also gave us cooking capability.

I have a 2WD pickup, which did fine in low gear on the roads.

Now if I could find 2,000 rounds of 9mm FMJ... ? 

You learn from things like this. 

Being in hurricane country I also keep about 20 Gallons of fuel to run generators.  cycle the gas through the cars when not hurricane season.   

A good set of chains to keep in the truck (2wd) should keep you out of trouble in emergencies..

On 2/18/2021 at 3:34 PM, LostinTexas said:

It has been the craze for a while and PEX salesmen gloat over how it can freeze and not burst. Better than the other stuff they run like that. Well the problem is it freezing. Don't get me started, I've really miffed some "Enlightened" people over that stuff over the past several years.

They like it because it is cheap, can be run by a drunken monkey, and no need to read a tape or any trade requirements.

The people who invented PEX and those stupid sharkbite things need lined up and shot.

1 minute ago, crockett said:

I lived through this... snow disaster winter 1978. One reason why I'm in Florida now. Haven't seen snow in some 13 years.

Snow is pretty but after about four inches things get serious!

I lived in Maine for about four years.  People would buy a house in spring find out what was in the back yard!

• Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 7:26 PM, crockett said:

Location, location, location.

1111.jpg

Went on a bus tour from the capital of a Central American country out of the mountains down to a beautiful Pacific shore. Some nice houses near the beach, all abandoned. Seems the river running from the capital to that shore had become polluted with sewage from the capital. Hopefully that has now been fixed. 

15 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Went on a bus tour from the capital of a Central American country out of the mountains down to a beautiful Pacific shore. Some nice houses near the beach, all abandoned. Seems the river running from the capital to that shore had become polluted with sewage from the capital. Hopefully that has now been fixed. 

Too many people walking this small planet. We are running out of everything eventually and turn many places into landfills. And all these green deals won't change the outcome in the long run. By limiting our first world emissions, we will only reduce the demand on fossil fuels. Less demand and the same amount of supply equals lower prices. Lower prices will allow shithole countries with less stringent emission standards to buy and burn more. Consequently, we will not only shift the problem, but we will increase emissions. A power plant burning coal in the US is a different story compared to one in India or middle America.

Obviously, the feel good Dems have no clue when it comes to world economics, so we will just be forced to shoot our own foot.

The only real solution will have to address the root problem. And the root problem is the human being ******* like the rabbits and overwhelming the entire planet with over 8 BILLION people. In my book, earth would be able to sustain our bullshit if it would be 1 to 2 billion.

Now try to tell those fast growing shithole countries to stop breading like crazy. Good luck with that.

Edited by crockett

9 hours ago, crockett said:

The only real solution will have to address the root problem. And the root problem is the human being ****ing like the rabbits and overwhelming the entire planet with over 8 BILLION people. In my book, earth would be able to sustain our bull**** if it would be 1 to 2 billion.

Now try to tell those fast growing ****hole countries to stop breading like crazy. Good luck with that.

Maybe unleash a global man-made virus that targets the elderly?

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, crockett said:

I lived through this... snow disaster winter 1978. One reason why I'm in Florida now.

Several times when I was still smaller,  without power,  Mom and Dad would cover the living room (carpeted) doors and windows with wool blankets,  fire up the coleman lantern for thirty minutes per hour, and everyone just lived and slept there.  Cribbage marathon.

If you complained,  you'd get the dad head-slap,  and told to put on another sweater or coat.

(Dad retired to Texas.  Probably because of things like that and that he grew up in Buffalo.)

One of two reactors shut down at the South Texas Nuclear Power Station an hour southwest of Houston, knocking out about half of its 2,700 megawatts of generating capacity.

The plant, which is one of the newer ones in the country, normally provides power to more than 2 million Texas homes.

The second reactor at the plant, which is operating as normal, is currently providing more than 1,300 megawatts of electricity.

Texas has another two-unit nuclear facility southwest of Dallas, called the Comanche Peak nuclear power plant, that is fully up and running.

Texas has a total of four nuclear reactors at two power stations and three of them remained online throughout the disaster. In other words, 75% of the Lone Star State’s nuclear power facilities remained up and running while much of the rest of the grid teetered on the brink of disaster. That’s not too shabby, all things considered.