**** Google

crockett

Just wanted to search something, go on Google, and get to see this:

image.thumb.png.77a2dc8ea371c71eddaab0bef6597d53.png

What the **** is this?!

I'm so sick and tired of this bullshit that implies that I judged people by color and have to better myself!

I'll be blocking Google and YouTube on my router tonight, and force myself to use DuckDuckGo, Vimeo, etc. ONLY.

**** political correctness! **** censorship! **** voter manipulation! **** cancel culture! **** you Google / YouTube / FaceShit and Twitter!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

2 hours ago, crockett said:

Just wanted to search something, go on Google, and get to see this:

image.thumb.png.77a2dc8ea371c71eddaab0bef6597d53.png

What the **** is this?!

I'm so sick and tired of this bullshit that implies that I judged people by color and have to better myself!

I'll be blocking Google and YouTube on my router tonight, and force myself to use DuckDuckGo, Vimeo, etc. ONLY.

**** political correctness! **** censorship! **** voter manipulation! **** cancel culture! **** you Google / YouTube / FaceShit and Twitter!

13% of the population and worshipped by liberals like they created and built this country...........  Just too much attempts to show "superiority".  I'm done!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, janice6 said:

when is White history month.  When is Asian history month.  Where is the month for people that built this country!

Really, this type of thing just builds separation within society.

We have a combined history in this country.  We may have different experiences within that history.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

I've used DDG for the last couple of years.  Google is a virus on America.  As History said, google and the other big techs have done nothing but divide america...and continue to.  This country...I'll stop...

"All animals are created equal.  However, some are more equal than others."

It's a plan to divide us so they can make changes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It is a bit funny that you say F cancel culture while you talk about cancelling google...  I get it though and agree 100%, I have been using DDG for quite some time.  It just sucks for maps and does not show store activity level like google.  I really would like a way to extract google from my phone.  I also need a viable replacement for youtube.

18 minutes ago, RenoF250 said:

It is a bit funny that you say F cancel culture while you talk about cancelling google...  I get it though and agree 100%, I have been using DDG for quite some time.  It just sucks for maps and does not show store activity level like google.  I really would like a way to extract google from my phone.  I also need a viable replacement for youtube.

Its time to fight them with their own dirty tricks and tools.

https://utreon.com/

https://www.bitchute.com/

Edited by crockett
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, crockett said:

Its time to fight them with their own dirty tricks and tools.

https://utreon.com/

https://www.bitchute.com/

I know there are other youtube like sites but the people I watch need to move there.  Not sure why they don't all do it now.  Most of the people I watch are oddly connected if they all picked a place and moved I am fairly certain 99.9% of their viewers would move with them.

4 hours ago, RenoF250 said:

I know there are other youtube like sites but the people I watch need to move there.  Not sure why they don't all do it now.  Most of the people I watch are oddly connected if they all picked a place and moved I am fairly certain 99.9% of their viewers would move with them.

YouTube pays them AD revenue. Once money is part of the equation, sings go sideways...

Dump google.  Use https://duckduckgo.com

https://duckduckgo.com/newsletter

How to Live Without Google: Alternatives That Protect Your Privacy

Remove Google from your life? Yes, it can be done!

Emoji

Google trackers have been found on 75% of the top million websites. This means they are not only tracking what you search for, they're also tracking which websites you visit, and using all your data for ads that follow you around the Internet. Your personal data can also be subpoenaed by lawyers, including for civil cases like divorce. Google answered over 150,000 such data requests in 2019 alone!

More and more people are also realizing the risk of relying on one company for so many personal services. If you're joining the ranks of people who've decided Google's data collection has become too invasive, here are some suggestions for replacements with minimal switching cost. Most are free, though even those that are paid are worth it — the cost of not switching is a cost to your personal privacy, and the good news is we have a choice!

Google Search → DuckDuckGo (free)

Let's start off with the easiest one! Switching to DuckDuckGo not only keeps your searches private but also gives you extra advantages such as our bang shortcuts, handy Instant Answers, and knowing you're not trapped in a filter bubble.

Gmail, Calendar & Contacts → FastMail (paid), ProtonMail (free with paid options), Tutanota (free with paid options)

FastMail is an independent, paid service that also includes calendar and contacts support across all devices. There are also several ways to get encrypted email between trusted parties by integrating PGP encryption tools. Even more private email alternatives are ProtonMail and Tutanota, both of which offer end-to-end encryption by default.

YouTube → Vimeo (free with paid options)

For videos that are only on YouTube (unfortunately, a lot), you can search for and watch them on DuckDuckGo for better privacy protection via YouTube's "youtube-nocookie" domain. If you're creating and hosting video yourself, however, Vimeo is the best-known alternative which focuses on creators.

Google Maps → Apple Maps (free), OpenStreetMap (free)

For iOS users, Apple gives you an alternative built in via Apple Maps, so no installation is necessary. For wider device support, check out OpenStreetMap (OSM) which is more open, though may not have the same ease-of-use or coverage quality as Apple Maps.

Google Drive → Resilio Sync (free with paid options), Tresorit (paid)

Resilio Sync provides peer-to-peer file synchronization which can be used for private file storage, backup, and file sharing. This also means your files are never stored on a single server in the cloud! The software is available for a wide variety of platforms and devices, including servers. An alternative cloud storage and backup service with end-to-end encryption is Tresorit.

Android → iOS (paid)

The most popular alternative to Android is of course iOS, which offers easy device encryption and encrypted messaging via iMessage by default. We also have tips to increase privacy protection on your iPhone or iPad.

Google Chrome → Safari (free), Firefox (free), Brave (free), Vivaldi (free)

Safari was the first major browser to include DuckDuckGo as a built-in private search option. A more cross-device compatible browser is Mozilla's Firefox, an open source browser with a built-in tracker blocker. Brave goes one step further with tracker blocking switched on by default. There are also many more browsers that come with DuckDuckGo as a built-in option, such as Vivaldi, which is well suited for power-users.

Blogger → Ghost (paid), WordPress.com (free with paid options)

Ghost is both a hosted (paid) and self-installable blogging platform, tracker-free by default and run by a non-profit foundation. We like it so much we use it for our own blog! A free alternative is WordPress, powering an estimated 33% of the world's websites. It's also available both for self-installation and as a hosted service with no third-party trackers by default. The community is huge with extensive multilingual documentation and many themes to choose from.

Google Hangouts/Meet → Jami (free), Apple FaceTime (free), Microsoft Teams (free with paid option)

Jami is a cross-platform service that offers end-to-end encryption, and its privacy policy states that the only data it collects is "anonymous and aggregated data for the analysis of Jami website visits statistics." If everyone involved has access to an Apple device, FaceTime is another alternative that is easy-to-use and supports end-to-end encryption. For enterprise-level support, Microsoft Teams is widely used and they state that they do not use your Teams data to serve ads, or to track participant attention.

Google Duo and Android Messages → Signal (free)

There are several services offering private messaging but, as we've mentioned before, Signal gets our recommendation. It offers free, end-to-end encryption for both messages and private calls. It's also recommended by Edward Snowden and renowned security expert Bruce Schneier, among others.

Google Groups → MeWe (free with a paid version), Discourse (paid, or free if self-hosted)

MeWe is a social network based around groups that can be made private or public. Their privacy policy makes clear that they don't collect or share personal data. Alternatively there's Discourse, which is an open source discussion platform, offering public and private conversations with a trust system and spam protection. Paid hosting is offered but the software is also freely available for administrators to host on their own servers.

Google Analytics → Fathom (paid), Simple Analytics (paid), Plausible (paid, or free if self-hosted)

If you run a website that uses Google Analytics, you're letting Google collect data on every visitor, which they can then tie to data collected from millions of other websites. Switching to Fathom, Simple Analytics, or Plausible will still give you visibility into how visitors are using your website, but you'll also be respecting their right to privacy. These services are GDPR-compliant by default, do not use cookies and therefore don't require those annoying cookie agreement popups. Plausible also has a free self-hosted option.

Google Ads & AdSense → CodeFund

CodeFund is currently limited to developers and designers, but if that's your audience this is a platform for both advertising and hosting ads with a focus on ethics, using contextual advertising (i.e. based on the content of websites) rather than behavioral. They take steps to avoid tracking users, such as by not saving IP addresses, and the platform code is open source for anyone to verify.

As you can see, moving away from Google needn't be hard. In fact, you might find you prefer the alternatives while also getting better privacy!

https://spreadprivacy.com/how-to-remove-google/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 2/16/2021 at 9:11 AM, gwalchmai said:

I've used startpage.com forever. They anonymize google.

You may want to reconsider using startpage.
https://restoreprivacy.com/startpage-system1-privacy-one-group/

On 2/17/2021 at 6:12 PM, crockett said:

YouTube pays them AD revenue. Once money is part of the equation, sings go sideways...

Check out FreeTube.  You can download/import your YT subscriptions, and never have to sign in again.  Also ad-free viewing.

On 2/17/2021 at 8:10 PM, minervadoe said:

Dump google.  Use https://duckduckgo.com

https://duckduckgo.com/newsletter

How to Live Without Google: Alternatives That Protect Your Privacy

Remove Google from your life? Yes, it can be done!

Emoji

Google trackers have been found on 75% of the top million websites. This means they are not only tracking what you search for, they're also tracking which websites you visit, and using all your data for ads that follow you around the Internet. Your personal data can also be subpoenaed by lawyers, including for civil cases like divorce. Google answered over 150,000 such data requests in 2019 alone!

More and more people are also realizing the risk of relying on one company for so many personal services. If you're joining the ranks of people who've decided Google's data collection has become too invasive, here are some suggestions for replacements with minimal switching cost. Most are free, though even those that are paid are worth it — the cost of not switching is a cost to your personal privacy, and the good news is we have a choice!

Google Search → DuckDuckGo (free)

Let's start off with the easiest one! Switching to DuckDuckGo not only keeps your searches private but also gives you extra advantages such as our bang shortcuts, handy Instant Answers, and knowing you're not trapped in a filter bubble.

Gmail, Calendar & Contacts → FastMail (paid), ProtonMail (free with paid options), Tutanota (free with paid options)

FastMail is an independent, paid service that also includes calendar and contacts support across all devices. There are also several ways to get encrypted email between trusted parties by integrating PGP encryption tools. Even more private email alternatives are ProtonMail and Tutanota, both of which offer end-to-end encryption by default.

YouTube → Vimeo (free with paid options)

For videos that are only on YouTube (unfortunately, a lot), you can search for and watch them on DuckDuckGo for better privacy protection via YouTube's "youtube-nocookie" domain. If you're creating and hosting video yourself, however, Vimeo is the best-known alternative which focuses on creators.

Google Maps → Apple Maps (free), OpenStreetMap (free)

For iOS users, Apple gives you an alternative built in via Apple Maps, so no installation is necessary. For wider device support, check out OpenStreetMap (OSM) which is more open, though may not have the same ease-of-use or coverage quality as Apple Maps.

Google Drive → Resilio Sync (free with paid options), Tresorit (paid)

Resilio Sync provides peer-to-peer file synchronization which can be used for private file storage, backup, and file sharing. This also means your files are never stored on a single server in the cloud! The software is available for a wide variety of platforms and devices, including servers. An alternative cloud storage and backup service with end-to-end encryption is Tresorit.

Android → iOS (paid)

The most popular alternative to Android is of course iOS, which offers easy device encryption and encrypted messaging via iMessage by default. We also have tips to increase privacy protection on your iPhone or iPad.

Google Chrome → Safari (free), Firefox (free), Brave (free), Vivaldi (free)

Safari was the first major browser to include DuckDuckGo as a built-in private search option. A more cross-device compatible browser is Mozilla's Firefox, an open source browser with a built-in tracker blocker. Brave goes one step further with tracker blocking switched on by default. There are also many more browsers that come with DuckDuckGo as a built-in option, such as Vivaldi, which is well suited for power-users.

Blogger → Ghost (paid), WordPress.com (free with paid options)

Ghost is both a hosted (paid) and self-installable blogging platform, tracker-free by default and run by a non-profit foundation. We like it so much we use it for our own blog! A free alternative is WordPress, powering an estimated 33% of the world's websites. It's also available both for self-installation and as a hosted service with no third-party trackers by default. The community is huge with extensive multilingual documentation and many themes to choose from.

Google Hangouts/Meet → Jami (free), Apple FaceTime (free), Microsoft Teams (free with paid option)

Jami is a cross-platform service that offers end-to-end encryption, and its privacy policy states that the only data it collects is "anonymous and aggregated data for the analysis of Jami website visits statistics." If everyone involved has access to an Apple device, FaceTime is another alternative that is easy-to-use and supports end-to-end encryption. For enterprise-level support, Microsoft Teams is widely used and they state that they do not use your Teams data to serve ads, or to track participant attention.

Google Duo and Android Messages → Signal (free)

There are several services offering private messaging but, as we've mentioned before, Signal gets our recommendation. It offers free, end-to-end encryption for both messages and private calls. It's also recommended by Edward Snowden and renowned security expert Bruce Schneier, among others.

Google Groups → MeWe (free with a paid version), Discourse (paid, or free if self-hosted)

MeWe is a social network based around groups that can be made private or public. Their privacy policy makes clear that they don't collect or share personal data. Alternatively there's Discourse, which is an open source discussion platform, offering public and private conversations with a trust system and spam protection. Paid hosting is offered but the software is also freely available for administrators to host on their own servers.

Google Analytics → Fathom (paid), Simple Analytics (paid), Plausible (paid, or free if self-hosted)

If you run a website that uses Google Analytics, you're letting Google collect data on every visitor, which they can then tie to data collected from millions of other websites. Switching to Fathom, Simple Analytics, or Plausible will still give you visibility into how visitors are using your website, but you'll also be respecting their right to privacy. These services are GDPR-compliant by default, do not use cookies and therefore don't require those annoying cookie agreement popups. Plausible also has a free self-hosted option.

Google Ads & AdSense → CodeFund

CodeFund is currently limited to developers and designers, but if that's your audience this is a platform for both advertising and hosting ads with a focus on ethics, using contextual advertising (i.e. based on the content of websites) rather than behavioral. They take steps to avoid tracking users, such as by not saving IP addresses, and the platform code is open source for anyone to verify.

As you can see, moving away from Google needn't be hard. In fact, you might find you prefer the alternatives while also getting better privacy!

https://spreadprivacy.com/how-to-remove-google/

I find it ironic that an article discussing privacy related alternatives to Google recommends anything Apple/IOS.  Look to open source alternatives.

My 2¢ fwiw.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, minderasr said:

You may want to reconsider using startpage.
https://restoreprivacy.com/startpage-system1-privacy-one-group/

Check out FreeTube.  You can download/import your YT subscriptions, and never have to sign in again.  Also ad-free viewing.

I find it ironic that an article discussing privacy related alternatives to Google recommends anything Apple/IOS.  Look to open source alternatives.

My 2¢ fwiw.

I was thinking the same. iOS or anything Apple, is hardly an "alternative" for anything resembling privacy, despite what they tell their loyal and unquestioning base. Where do you think MS learned all their crap from.

I had heard of StartPage going adrift. Seems it could have and the unanswered questions may speak volumes. 

DDG is good, look into Qwant and MetGer. Quant is a Google based search like DDG. MetGer is a Bing based search. I just don't care for the Bing search base, but it works. I have used Qwant for a while now and have been very satisfied. You can even opt for their home page, but be prepared to be bombarded with the "News" of the day. Euro lame stream isn't any better than ours for Nooz.

Brave seems to do exactly what is says. I find it annoying. Vivaldi has been refreshing, but it may not be all that and a sack of fried taters. It reports back to Vivaldi, but seems to still respect privacy, and can be locked down at least as well as Brave, but doesn't come that way by default. Chromium is still one of my favorites, the one that came along before Chrome, and Chrome did little to make it theirs besides hijack your data and add on their operating shortcuts. It shows.

FF still leads the pack, even thought they went Dark Side a few years ago. That is how we ended up with Brave and Vivaldi. They still get high marks for privacy and it is a very dynamic page for customization and appearance. 

DDG has an Android app, might have a iOS app as well, I don't know. It sucks for appearance or customization. There is dark and light mode. As long as those are your choices or all you want, you got it. LOL Very good, very secure, very fast, and it just works. If they get to making one for a PC, it will be fist on my list.

All the above could get flushed in a matter of a policy change and don't plan on being informed about any such happenings. Stay vigilant.

Edited by LostinTexas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/20/2021 at 4:10 PM, LostinTexas said:

I was thinking the same. iOS or anything Apple, is hardly an "alternative" for anything resembling privacy, despite what they tell their loyal and unquestioning base. Where do you think MS learned all their crap from.

I had heard of StartPage going adrift. Seems it could have and the unanswered questions may speak volumes. 

DDG is good, look into Qwant and MetGer. Quant is a Google based search like DDG. MetGer is a Bing based search. I just don't care for the Bing search base, but it works. I have used Qwant for a while now and have been very satisfied. You can even opt for their home page, but be prepared to be bombarded with the "News" of the day. Euro lame stream isn't any better than ours for Nooz.

Brave seems to do exactly what is says. I find it annoying. Vivaldi has been refreshing, but it may not be all that and a sack of fried taters. It reports back to Vivaldi, but seems to still respect privacy, and can be locked down at least as well as Brave, but doesn't come that way by default. Chromium is still one of my favorites, the one that came along before Chrome, and Chrome did little to make it theirs besides hijack your data and add on their operating shortcuts. It shows.

FF still leads the pack, even thought they went Dark Side a few years ago. That is how we ended up with Brave and Vivaldi. They still get high marks for privacy and it is a very dynamic page for customization and appearance. 

DDG has an Android app, might have a iOS app as well, I don't know. It sucks for appearance or customization. There is dark and light mode. As long as those are your choices or all you want, you got it. LOL Very good, very secure, very fast, and it just works. If they get to making one for a PC, it will be fist on my list.

All the above could get flushed in a matter of a policy change and don't plan on being informed about any such happenings. Stay vigilant.

I would like someone to make a locked down version on Android.  I don't want apple and android gets me WAY too far in bed with google.  Just yesterday I was thinking of all the time I use them and how badly they could bone me.  I already have a protonmail account I just need to use it.

I use Brave but not excited about it.  I have had to run a few things in Edge because they would not work in Brave.

Why hasn't someone made a program that sits and interrupts the data back to google and just feeds them garbage?  Perhaps even as part of a VPN service.

I need to make a fake identity and use it for everything except actual business.

One really cool thing I found out about google - they hijack the pics off your phone.  I don't use picasa or any other service and once we were on a cruise so we were out of cell range.  I took a ton of pics and when coming back into port the phone was getting hot in my pocket, it was uploading all of the pics.  That not only wastes my data but helps them track you.  Picasa knows your face and people can search for Rick James and see every picture Rick James is in.  Uncool.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RenoF250 said:

I would like someone to make a locked down version on Android.  I don't want apple and android gets me WAY too far in bed with google.  Just yesterday I was thinking of all the time I use them and how badly they could bone me.  I already have a protonmail account I just need to use it.

I use Brave but not excited about it.  I have had to run a few things in Edge because they would not work in Brave.

Why hasn't someone made a program that sits and interrupts the data back to google and just feeds them garbage?  Perhaps even as part of a VPN service.

I need to make a fake identity and use it for everything except actual business.

One really cool thing I found out about google - they hijack the pics off your phone.  I don't use picasa or any other service and once we were on a cruise so we were out of cell range.  I took a ton of pics and when coming back into port the phone was getting hot in my pocket, it was uploading all of the pics.  That not only wastes my data but helps them track you.  Picasa knows your face and people can search for Rick James and see every picture Rick James is in.  Uncool.

LOL, don't use your phone for a camera. I have had some interesting and heated discussions with on of LostWife's uncles about that. He thinks they take pictures that are "just as good" as a camera. Horse Hocky. They have improved light years over older ones, but they aren't a camera. They may serve his purpose, yours and a lot of other's and are convenient.

FF, Vivaldi, Brave, and DDG make good Android browsers. I would say to go with DDG. Like I said it was bare bones for appearance but it works just fine. Play with it a bit, you'll have to put in your bookmarks, because I haven't found a way to import them, and there may be good reason for that.

Android, Google, iOS, and the others would probably nuke any program that interrupted their gathering. There are alternate Apps that will accomplish a lot of what you seek. Browse through that list above. Some of these aren't going to be as fluid, or even as convenient, but I have tried some in the past, and again a few months later with amazing improvement, so if you find one you like but it just doesn't perform, hang on to it and revisit in a few months. Some will require the app on both ends. SIgnal is a good example of all this. It used to make both ends have the app to send messages, now it only requires it for encrypted. I'll bet that soon they will figure out, the way Proton and Tutanota have to set up a password for the receiver to send and read encrypted notes.

I tried Signal a year or so ago and just wasn't impressed. I tried again a week or so ago and must say it is very improved. Enough that I have made it my default messenger. There will still be some frustrating learning curve, or has been for me, but most of that was trying to get it to work on the laptop as well. That still hasn't happened, but I haven't lost anything.

Something that it can't see or just doesn't report things seems to be OK, for now. 

Happy Searching

On 2/23/2021 at 8:50 AM, LostinTexas said:

LOL, don't use your phone for a camera. I have had some interesting and heated discussions with on of LostWife's uncles about that. He thinks they take pictures that are "just as good" as a camera. Horse Hocky. They have improved light years over older ones, but they aren't a camera. They may serve his purpose, yours and a lot of other's and are convenient.

FF, Vivaldi, Brave, and DDG make good Android browsers. I would say to go with DDG. Like I said it was bare bones for appearance but it works just fine. Play with it a bit, you'll have to put in your bookmarks, because I haven't found a way to import them, and there may be good reason for that.

Android, Google, iOS, and the others would probably nuke any program that interrupted their gathering. There are alternate Apps that will accomplish a lot of what you seek. Browse through that list above. Some of these aren't going to be as fluid, or even as convenient, but I have tried some in the past, and again a few months later with amazing improvement, so if you find one you like but it just doesn't perform, hang on to it and revisit in a few months. Some will require the app on both ends. SIgnal is a good example of all this. It used to make both ends have the app to send messages, now it only requires it for encrypted. I'll bet that soon they will figure out, the way Proton and Tutanota have to set up a password for the receiver to send and read encrypted notes.

I tried Signal a year or so ago and just wasn't impressed. I tried again a week or so ago and must say it is very improved. Enough that I have made it my default messenger. There will still be some frustrating learning curve, or has been for me, but most of that was trying to get it to work on the laptop as well. That still hasn't happened, but I haven't lost anything.

Something that it can't see or just doesn't report things seems to be OK, for now. 

Happy Searching

The phone is only used as a camera of convenience.  On the cruise there were lots of spur of the moment shots and it was the only camera available.  I brought a real camera for real pictures of scenery etc. 

I want to switch to signal but I can't get my dad off skype.  I am tired of skypes constant updating, ads, and scammers.

39 minutes ago, RenoF250 said:

The phone is only used as a camera of convenience.  On the cruise there were lots of spur of the moment shots and it was the only camera available.  I brought a real camera for real pictures of scenery etc. 

I want to switch to signal but I can't get my dad off skype.  I am tired of skypes constant updating, ads, and scammers.

Yea, we dumped skype a while back. Well probably 2 years ago when Da Boy got stationed in the states. Watched two granddaughters grow up on the thing. The little on was confused for a while since she could talk to her grandmothers but not see them. DIL's mom has an I phone, so they can face time, and it makes her happy. We may try the Signal app for the kids, but she's fine with talking to us on the phone now.

Signal has a lot of nice features. I like the voice message. Haven't tried the video call yet. LostWife is agreeable, but kinda hesitant for reasons that only a LostWife can know. LOL Since you have the skype set up and ginning, it is easy for him. I understand. Lots of folks don't agree with change when they aren't forced to.

Use Signal. You can still skype and get the benefits of not having Messenger looking over your shoulder.