DVD and CD playback differences

railfancwb

I have a JVC combo DVD and VHS record and playback machine circa 2008. I tell myself I didn’t use it all that much... I no longer have any interest in recording off air or either format to the other  

The unit plays VHS fine but doesn’t want to play DVD. I’ve used one of the $10 cleaning disks so far to no avail.

It seems to play a CD just fine. Jury is still out on this however. WAIT A MINUTE NO IT ISN’T PLAYING PERFECTLY

I’ve bought a DVD Player so my question is curiosity.

What is the difference which allows a CD to play but not a DVD?

This CD is used and now that I think of it may have scratches but is still chugging along through seeming flaws. The DVDs I’ve tried unsuccessfully so far have been new from commercial shrink wrap packages. 

The LASER lens system is failing.  The reason why it's playing CDs semi-fine and not DVDs is because of how it stores data.  CDs hold 700mb whereas DVDs hold about 8x that.  Therefore the little numbs that the LASER reads on a DVD has to be much smaller than the numbs on a CD.  Since your LASER lens is failing it can't be accurate enough to properly read a DVD compare to an easier to read CD.  Think of it as comparing a child to an old man.  When the LASER lens is in it's child stage, it can read small print easily.  When it gets to old man stage it struggles or flat out can't read the fine print. 

Edited by Maser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

22 hours ago, Rellik said:

I have a cd stuck in my 2006 Camry 6 disk changer.  Is there a way to tickle it to either fully load the disk so I can eject it.  Or fully eject the disk?

Should be a little "pin hole" somewhere on the front.  Bend a paper clip, and stick it in there.  Should pop out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2021 at 11:49 PM, Batesmotel said:

I use dedicated CD player for the audio system and a Blu-ray player for Blu-ray and DVD discs in the AV system.  The combo disc-tape machines were made from the lowest quality components. 

Am I understanding correctly that a Blu-Ray player mechanism is better quality than DVD or CD players?

Can CDs be the played on a Blu-Ray player?

Edited by railfancwb

1 hour ago, railfancwb said:

Am I understanding correctly that a Blu-Ray player mechanism is better quality than DVD or CD players?

Can CDs be the played on a Blu-Ray player?

CDs can be played on Blu-Ray players. This is a function of the laser and the software. The transport mechanism of all types of disc players vary greatly in quality.

The biggest problem I’ve had is when the gears on the tray wear out and it will not open and close right. That is why I’ve gone to higher end CD players. More metal, less plastic, higher build quality. I can’t say they really sound better but the mechanism is much smoother and I hope more reliable. 

• Like 1