Gas Monkey Garage Sucks!

Eric

• Administrators

I enjoy watching the show well enough, but tonight's episode bugs the hell out of me. Rawlings finds a really straight, original, two-owner 1934 Ford 5-Window Coupe. All the parts are there, even the grill and the hood and there is almost no rust. So, what do they want to do with it? Chop, the top, lose the fenders, etc. They are going to take one of what has to be the last straight, original '34 Ford 5-Window coupes in the world and they are going to chop it up and hot rod it. That sucks.

I love street rods, but damn. Every single part for a 1934 Ford is being re-popped by someone today. You can build a brand new 5-Window coupe, with all new parts. Why not take a rare original car like that and keep it original?

1934_Ford_Model_40A_5_window_Coupe.thumb.jpg.07e5a90cfaf86efada1b01dd63e0e2f6.jpg

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.b6f22979b63d065bcff42050f20f45ad.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

i watch it sometimes.  i watched the other day where he bought some dudes garage  and gutted and fired alot of people.  i personally like the second pic better .  the dude is a dick but knows how to make money  and some cool cars . but damn his attitude grated my cheese. like he shows all this extra stuff but its the sponsors who give him that stuff.  

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, astepup said:

IIRC it's not original. It was made into a hot rod sometime in the 60's by the owner. Still a great car though.

All the original bones were still there. The only body mod was to the tail end of the body. It still had its original roof line, fenders, hood, grill, etc. It would have been a lot easier to restore it to original than to go full-on street rod with it. Besides, the '34 Ford hot rod has been done to death. I haven't seen a truly original one in twenty years. 

• Like 1

i always thought he was a dick and arron was about as much of a master mechanic as i am bikini model. i have watched alot of his show and it seemed like the bearded wonder never did **** compared to how much work the other guys did. but tricky ricky is rollin in the cash so hes doing something right. i also get what eric is saying about restoring to og form. 

A co-worker of mine met him at some event and got her picture taken with him.  She said he was as nice as could be in real life and was very gracious.  I got the exact opposite impression from watching the show.  I agree that with the proliferation of `34 aftermarket parts, there is no reason to molest an original body.

2 minutes ago, RenoF250 said:

Why?  Because he is a cocky feminine hygiene product.  I like that kind of show but I cannot stand either of them.  Counts Customs is a much better show.  Danny Count is a cool dude.  Also anything with Chip Foose, another good guy.

Yup, Chip Foose seems truly skilled and pretty laid back.

FYI, I think he got rid of Aaron, he doesn't seem to be on the newest shows. Also, he started pretty small and took off after the TV stuff started. It wasn't that long ago you would see ads from them on Craigslist here in Dallas  to buy excess cars and parts.

Just now, XSIV4S said:

FYI, I think he got rid of Aaron, he doesn't seem to be on the newest shows. Also, he started pretty small and took off after the TV stuff started. It wasn't that long ago you would see ads from them on Craigslist here in Dallas  to buy excess cars and parts.

They are both twits.  They way they handled Roadkill was pathetic.  WAYYYYY too cocky.  I would say Frieburger and Finnegan have 10X the respect in the real hot rod world as those dorks.

I don't see the show regularly but this isn't the first time I've wondered why they cut up an in tact car rather than pass it along to someone to do a restoration. 

I think that's more my attitude than anything else though. At least with Aaron Kaufman gone everything doesn't have to come with air ride.

Dave

On 10/31/2017 at 2:38 AM, PNWguy said:

A co-worker of mine met him at some event and got her picture taken with him.  She said he was as nice as could be in real life and was very gracious.  I got the exact opposite impression from watching the show.  I agree that with the proliferation of `34 aftermarket parts, there is no reason to molest an original body.

Based off of what I have seen on the show Richard seems like he's not a bad guy.  Never met him or Aaron in person so I have no idea what either one is like.

What I like about F&L is there isn't a ton of made-up drama.  Sure there is some, but nothing like on the other shows like American Hot Rod, American Chopper, etc.

21 hours ago, RenoF250 said:

Why?  Because he is a cocky feminine hygiene product.  I like that kind of show but I cannot stand either of them.  Counts Customs is a much better show.  Danny Count is a cool dude.  Also anything with Chip Foose, another good guy.

Agreed on Danny and Foose seeming like good guys too.  I'm not much on his cars though as he seems to go a little too much 70s for my taste.

Another good show is Graveyard Cars.  If those guys can do HALF of what they seem to be able to, they are true maestros with a socket wrench.  Some of the cars they bring back from the dead are unbelievable. 

Question on GMG and the Shelby 350 - why didn't they just disassemble and rebuild the engine using the same block?  I know it wouldn't be cheap but seems like it would pay for itself if you can get a running, driving Shelby 350.

Or does boring out the block cause the car to lose value?

On 10/31/2017 at 5:38 AM, Appalachained said:

I don’t have cable, but I see the show at work sometimes. The one thing I like about them is their affinity for late Sixties, early Seventies Ford pickups.

One funny quote from their early days:

"We're putting a Ford front suspension, and a Chevrolet engine, into a Dodge.  I wonder why things aren't fitting?"

3 minutes ago, kirgi08 said:

That's a major mod,it'll hurt the value.They should have checked that b4 paying 300k.'08.

Still made $100K on it.  So still not bad.

I'm assuming that if they tore the engine down the cylinder walls would at LEAST have to be honed and bored out a little bit.

Edited by SC Tiger

On 10/31/2017 at 8:50 AM, RenoF250 said:

Counts Customs is a much better show.  Danny Count is a cool dude.  Also anything with Chip Foose, another good guy.

If I ever win the lottery, I'm having Count's Customs do a resto mod job on my dad's `68 Mercedes 220D. 

On 10/31/2017 at 10:56 AM, XSIV4S said:

Aaron left him.  He with his cut of the pie versus his contribution. Aaron was a known builder in the area before he started at Gas Monkey.  Things are not always what they seem.  There is another car show from the area. They make it seem it is one shop. It is at least 3 different shops involved.  They just work together on some projects.  

It is only marginally reality TV.  

I like to see truly custom cars not snap togethers.

I'm a serial car show watcher.  Like a fly to a bug zapper.  They do make me cringe from time to time; chopping a classic is a great example.  But I think these shows have also shed a lot of light on "bad repairs".  Frames out of square, bondo over rust etc.

1 hour ago, Old School said:

I'm a serial car show watcher.  Like a fly to a bug zapper.  They do make me cringe from time to time; chopping a classic is a great example.  But I think these shows have also shed a lot of light on "bad repairs".  Frames out of square, bondo over rust etc.

Have you ever watched Diesel Brothers?  Entertaining in a Duck Dynasty sort of way.

1 hour ago, geeorge said:

I can't watch the show, rawlings is all mouth and has never done ANY work on a car himself. Just like the guy from Counting cars.

I enjoyed when Big Chief humiliated rawlings and his crew of professional racers 

Danny doesn't run his mouth that he does work on the cars.  He just finds them and has the idea of how he wants them too look.  Rawlings is a cock.