Be straight - just WTF is a "processing fee"?

gwalchmai

I'm seeing them from $299 to $899 and the, um, "brand ambassadors" act like they're sacrosanct. I had one guy tell me once that was what they used to "keep their lights on". I drew a line through it and said "I have a power bill, too". We laughed and he relented.

Is it, like the "destination charge", basically just Extra Dealer Incentive?

It's what the sheep pay.

When it comes to vehicles, do this:

1.) Use www.autotempest.com and search for your desired vehicle NATIONWIDE. Sort results by lowest price.

2.) Send 20 emails to 20 dealers with the lowest offer.

3.) Tell them that you are in the business and ask them for a buyers order with their best price.

4.) Call those dealers that don't respond within 3 days and ask them to get back to your email with a buyers order.

5.) Pick the best buyers orders and send them an email, telling them that you will have to travel and that you are willing to make it really easy to get that vehicle off the lot if they drop the processing fee.

6.) Ask the dealer with the best offer to send a new and signed buyers order reflecting no processing fees.

7.) Once you get that signed buyers order, call in, make the sales guy walk to the car and confirm that it is on the lot and in new condition. Make a $500 deposit.

8.) Book a flight.

9.) Call them again and ask them to pick you up at the airport.

10.) When you see your vehicle, check it out. If you find ANY issues that weren't disclosed, ask for another discount. For example a car that sat for 9 month on the lot may have tires with flat spots.

11.) Drive your new vehicle home.

12.) Make a hard break-in with varying RPMs. Don't drive it back slowly on the highway at the same speed and the same low RPM or you will not break-in the hatching on your cylinder walls. They will simply glass-over with carbon and you will end up with an engine that has less power due to less compression. In exchange you will get blow-by and oil burning. Drive it back on backroads. Drive it hard.

Bought my last new pickup 2 states up North. Flew in in the AM and made it back home by 1 AM. Got 31% off the sticker price, no dealer processing fees, and another grand off for tires being out of shape. I could sell this truck now 2 years later for the same price I paid when new.

Don't get screwed over by being a consumer sheep or by the typical dealer back office tactics. Bring your own financing and tell them only once you have the signed buyers order. Don't let them sell you wheel locks for 300 bucks and other undisclosed rubbish.

Edited by crockett
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, crockett said:

It's what the sheep pay.

When it comes to vehicles, do this:

1.) Use www.autotempest.com and search for your desired vehicle NATIONWIDE. Sort results by lowest price.

2.) Send 20 emails to 20 dealers with the lowest offer.

3.) Tell them that you are in the business and ask them for a buyers order with their best price.

4.) Call those dealers that don't respond within 3 days and ask them to get back to your email with a buyers order.

5.) Pick the best buyers orders and send them an email, telling them that you will have to travel and that you are willing to make it really easy to get that vehicle off the lot if they drop the processing fee.

6.) Ask the dealer with the best offer to send a new and signed buyers order reflecting no processing fees.

7.) Once you get that signed buyers order, call in, make the sales guy walk to the car and confirm that it is on the lot and in new condition. Make a $500 deposit.

8.) Book a flight.

9.) Call them again and ask them to pick you up at the airport.

10.) When you see your vehicle, check it out. If you find ANY issues that weren't disclosed, ask for another discount. For example a car that sat for 9 month on the lot may have tires with flat spots.

11.) Drive your new vehicle home.

12.) Make a hard break-in with varying RPMs. Don't drive it back slowly on the highway at the same speed and the same low RPM or you will not break-in the hatching on your cylinder walls. They will simply glass-over with carbon and you will end up with an engine that has less power due to less compression. In exchange you will get blow-by and oil burning. Drive it back on backroads. Drive it hard.

Bought my last new pickup 2 states up North. Flew in in the AM and made it back home by 1 AM. Got 31% off the sticker price, no dealer processing fees, and another grand off for tires being out of shape. I could sell this truck now 2 years later for the same price I paid when new.

Don't get screwed over by being a consumer sheep or by the typical dealer back office tactics. Bring your own financing and tell them only once you have the signed buyers order. Don't let them sell you wheel locks for 300 bucks and other undisclosed rubbish.

Sounds like fun! Thanks!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

I'm looking at a new Miata. Probably a retractable top, but maybe not (since I think such gadgetry is just more stuff to break... :supergrin:)

Nice.

I would join a Miata forum, and ask which dealerships do the best pricing. There might be a large-volume dealer that puts their best price right on the internet, which ends the negotiating crap. At least that's how it is with Ford vehicles.

At worst you drive/fly there, and drive home with your new Miata.

Nice choice by the way. And FWIW, because the car is so small the tops are very easy to manually drop. I wouldn't bother with anything more expensive.

ETA; I just went to Mazda's site and looked at the Miata. Wow....they don't give you very  many options. Gotta go with the Grand Touring to get a beige/tan interior. 

Which specifics are you looking at?

Edited by M&P15T

50 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

I'm looking at a new Miata. Probably a retractable top, but maybe not (since I think such gadgetry is just more stuff to break... :supergrin:)

My 07 Miata has the retractable hard top and has never given any problems. It always works flawlessly, never leaks and does not look like someone threw a tarp over some tent frames.

• Haha 1

There are points in favor of both configs. The ragtop is "purer", cheaper, and less complicated. Mrs. G pointed out "Of course, it's your toy, but the RF is going to be quieter and warmer..." (so I'd have the ragtop to myself more).

My only line in the sand is an MT, even though one salesman explained to me that the "manual shift" feature of the one he had on the lot is "almost the same as a manual". :supergrin:

1 hour ago, gwalchmai said:

There are points in favor of both configs. The ragtop is "purer", cheaper, and less complicated. Mrs. G pointed out "Of course, it's your toy, but the RF is going to be quieter and warmer..." (so I'd have the ragtop to myself more).

My only line in the sand is an MT, even though one salesman explained to me that the "manual shift" feature of the one he had on the lot is "almost the same as a manual". :supergrin:

It's not, but it is pretty cool anyway.

We went for the 6 speed manual on ours and love it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, crockett said:

Since Mazda never put a turbo on the new MX-5 I'd also consider the new 2022 BRZ which makes almost 230 horses from its boxer.

The Miata is just fun to drive. Horsepower was not even a factor when the wife and I bought ours. If it were, we would have gotten something with a few more cylinders. Maybe a Mustang.

We just wanted to put the top down and drive the Twisted Sisters in the hill country and the Miata was a perfect fit for that.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, crockett said:

Since Mazda never put a turbo on the new MX-5 I'd also consider the new 2022 BRZ which makes almost 230 horses from its boxer.

If they would have done pop-up headlights, they'd really have something there.

Some company needs to do a small coupe with pop-ups. They're an awesome look. All the cool cars have them.

1985 Ferrari 288 GTO - Sports Car Market

my 1988 Prelude SI 4WS | Honda prelude, Street racing cars, Honda accord

The 944 - A current Porsche bargain? - Patina's Picks

Used car buying guide: Mitsubishi 3000GT | Autocar

17 minutes ago, jmohme said:

The Miata is just fun to drive. Horsepower was not even a factor when the wife and I bought ours. If it were, we would have gotten something with a few more cylinders. Maybe a Mustang.

We just wanted to put the top down and drive the Twisted Sisters in the hill country and the Miata was a perfect fit for that.

The BRZ has almost the same customer base, but Subaru listened to many, asking for a few more ponies. There are countless power mods and turbo kits out there for the Miata because so many owners want more power.

Both chassis can make good use of 250 HP in my opinion. That is still far away from a true sports car and would be the right amount to bang through the gears on backroads without going to the jail any time soon.

Edited by crockett
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, M&P15T said:

Some company needs to do a small coupe with pop-ups. They're an awesome look. All the cool cars have them.

Pop-up headlights and EPA MPG requirements don't go together these days. Only the pickup segment can get away with CW values equivalent to brick walls.

You missed the pinnacle in pop-up headlights, and cars over all. :)

1989-Ferrari-F40-LM-006-1080.jpg

Granted, the LM version doesn't have them, but the base F40 sure does.

33 minutes ago, crockett said:

The BRZ has almost the same customer base, but Subaru listened to many, asking for a few more ponies. There are countless power mods and turbo kits out there for the Miata because so many owners want more power.

Both chassis can make good use of 250 HP in my opinion. That is still far away from a true sports car and would be the right amount to bang through the gears on backroads without going to the jail any time soon.

I drove the Lookout Mountain Scenic Hiway this morning in my Accord (which has a CVT). It was plenty of fun and I think in the Miata it would be a LOT funner. I drove the MT RF Miata around Chattanooga and it had all the pep I'd ever need (admittedly, my needs are modest). I was approaching 80 when I shifted into 4th. That's bad though, and shouldn't be done... :(

No one has a BRZ or an 86 nearby for me to try. Toyota said they'd order one for me to try if I put a deposit on it. :anim_lol:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, crockett said:

Pop-up headlights and EPA MPG requirements don't go together these days. Only the pickup segment can get away with CW values equivalent to brick walls.

Both my wife's RAV4 and FIL's F-150 have mandatory auto-shutoffs on the engines to lower those mileage numbers. Drives me nuts.

• Like 1

When an invoice has one number - that automobile is $48,995.00 - the prospective buyer can attack the whole number. When it is a page or two or three with 150 or so items, many of which are in the two- or three-digit range, the prospect has much more difficulty making a worthwhile attack. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, M&P15T said:

1985 Ferrari 288 GTO - Sports Car Market

my 1988 Prelude SI 4WS | Honda prelude, Street racing cars, Honda accord

The 944 - A current Porsche bargain? - Patina's Picks

Used car buying guide: Mitsubishi 3000GT | Autocar

Thought the benevolent federal government, in its great wisdom, had outlawed pop up lights. 

Just now, railfancwb said:

Thought the benevolent federal government, in its great wisdom, had outlawed pop up lights. 

Yes, because if you hit a pedestrian at 60mph with a popup headlight it can hurt him. Just like hitting him with a hood ornament

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

Yes, because if you hit a pedestrian at 60mph with a popup headlight it can hurt him. Just like hitting him with a hood ornament

Yeah, hitting someone with the new Silverado will be much more comfortable!

SEMA 2019: Carhartt, Chevrolet Deliver Special Silverado HD to Vegas -  ChevroletForum

Edited by crockett
  • Haha 2

i remember back in 89 , i saved up ,a new lx 5.0  cash out the door  loaded was 12,500 .  yeah i wish i had those prices.  it was the 25th anniversary with badge on dash etc ,   then it had 6 year 60,000 mile whatever comes first,  i remember the dealer saying proper breakin .  rofl ,  im 20  and i did a power brake and 3 dough nuts in middle of road , him and my dad were like stone faced.  

i said im gonna flog the hell out of it while under warranty  , i still it in my shop 35,000 original miles, i got a paxton and nitrous on it . when my dad died i lost interest in racing , i  got my time slips  and video taped back then with the 25  pound camcorder on the shoulder .  best 1/8  was 6.40 i think . right when i parked it i finally broke tranny  and i put in a tremec 5 speed / lot of people still wanna buy it  but i will prolly be buried in it .   not brgging but i never got out outrun in my town . i dunno how many corvettes and irocs i smoked .  and that was  when it was fctory / 

flog the **** out of it , if its gonna break its then  ,,

as far as buying  dont tell em til you get number  if paying cash or credit .  my dad always told the sales dude im here for next 10 minutes im dealing with you im not playing

that get up and down walk back to around the corner bullshit .  gimme price or i will go elsewhere .  and that extra bullshit like trim package , spray the interior ,  and all that bs , like some kind of conditioner etc  it was like 400 bucks . if that didnt get knocked off right off the top we walked lol

Edited by ASH
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1